Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 PM

Default am i limiting myself by using keyboard/mouse?

just wanna get some opinions on whether it's easier to aim with a keyboard or with a mouse?

I'm very used to the mouse to aim and keyboard to turn by now, but sometimes I miss my shots and I wonder if I'll have an easier time if I take some time to switch to a keyboard only control..

from reading this forum it seems like most good players are keyboard only users with only a very small minority using a mouse.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

The reason most good players use the keyboard is because mouse is a relatively new invention (in this game). For those of us who have been around for awhile - we didn't have the option of playing with the mouse originally. After 1000+ hours on the keyboard - it's hard to switch to mouse control.

It would be like trying to learn how to type on a new keyboard. Even though mouse might be better or even though a new key layout might be better - people are so used to the original one that most people stick with it.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peww View Post
just wanna get some opinions on whether it's easier to aim with a keyboard or with a mouse?

I'm very used to the mouse to aim and keyboard to turn by now, but sometimes I miss my shots and I wonder if I'll have an easier time if I take some time to switch to a keyboard only control..

from reading this forum it seems like most good players are keyboard only users with only a very small minority using a mouse.
There probably isn't much in it. Recently there has been lots of hatespam against mouse, calling it easy-mode. If I were you I would stick to mouse KB, there are definately some advantages which probably outweigh the disadvantages, certainly enough that you aren't missing much.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 AM

Mouse is better for aiming, without a doubt. Stick with it.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesol View Post
The reason most good players use the keyboard is because mouse is a relatively new invention (in this game). For those of us who have been around for awhile - we didn't have the option of playing with the mouse originally. After 1000+ hours on the keyboard - it's hard to switch to mouse control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blln4lyf View Post
Mouse is better for aiming, without a doubt. Stick with it.
Depends on when you bought Altitude, do what ever feels better to you, if you switch it'll take some time to get to the same level of accuracy as before.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:11 AM

I personally feel like (with extremly limited mouse practice) that what you make up for in aim, you BY FAR lose in plane control and flying with mouse vs keyboard.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingbo View Post
I personally feel like (with extremly limited mouse practice) that what you make up for in aim, you BY FAR lose in plane control and flying with mouse vs keyboard.
yea but then donk is like welp
Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 AM

? donk doesnt play mouse control tho
Old 01-30-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
? donk doesnt play mouse control tho
QFT, this, strangely, was one of Boko's reasons for nerfing mouse. Where were you Ingbo!

Basically they are fairly balanced right now, do whatever feels comfortable for you.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 AM

after playing a bit more mouse really is clearly superior to keyboard only
Old 02-01-2011, 06:05 PM

Ill pwn you though
Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 AM

mayb but you'll pwn me more if i wasn't using mouse
Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 AM

So is there any truth to Ingbo's statement that keyboard offers more plane control while mouse offers more aim assistance?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 AM

i don't see why keyboard would have an advantage over mouse in plane control once you're used to it
Old 02-02-2011, 01:53 AM

well i havent played mouse control in a long time so i dont know how patches might have changed it but since mouse control (when i played) affects ur thrust and ur turning those will make it less consistent then only having one source of zed instruments.
edit: Also i feel like even if this isnt the case now, i feel like its tough for ur brain to have both hands being able to affect ur planes movement and direction instead of just one. feel like its gona lead to brain lag no matter how used to it u are. this is just speculation on my part tho.

Last edited by Ingbo; 02-02-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 AM

I myself am a keyboard user and I tried out mouse and found it absolutely horrid
Old 02-02-2011, 02:35 PM

I don't know about turning, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to control your thrust with the keyboard rather than mouse alone.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 AM

Ive been playing mouse/kb since I started and its not really harder to control going forward and most of the time even with reverse but games like coop and certain situations mouse is harder to control then keyboard mainly cuz consistent angles are hard to keep. Donk came into the suggestion thread about the mouse control advantages and said he does not use mouse.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:36 AM

Not gonna lie aero. U make some pretty sick snipes
Old 02-03-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Vesuvius View Post
Not gonna lie aero. U make some pretty easy snipes
correct .
Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 AM

U jealous???
Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
well i havent played mouse control in a long time so i dont know how patches might have changed it but since mouse control (when i played) affects ur thrust and ur turning those will make it less consistent then only having one source of zed instruments.
edit: Also i feel like even if this isnt the case now, i feel like its tough for ur brain to have both hands being able to affect ur planes movement and direction instead of just one. feel like its gona lead to brain lag no matter how used to it u are. this is just speculation on my part tho.
You can make mouse for aiming only, and use keyboard for thrust and items. This is how I play, also with mouse1 as primary fire and mouse2 as secondary. Then I use W for thrust D for decel and S for items.