Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Default Patch: January 19th, new skins, control tweaks, bug fixes

Updated friend list appearance; increased visibility of current server and last online time

New skin options for all planes under Hangar Deck -> Community Points
* Checkers
* Flames
* Santa Hat

Updated graphics for ball_snow (credit: Josh Singh)

Mouse control now waits until a mouse button has been pressed before activating (prevents accidental mouse control toggle after Alt+Tab)
Miranda's Reverse now reorients the mouse cursor
Explodet's Thermobaric Rocket now reorients the mouse cursor
Removed extraneous throttle indicator from control mode "Mouse - Turning Only"

Added graphics option (config/options.xml: graphicsOptions ... overrideTargetFps) to manually override target framerate

New JSON server log entry type:"roundEnd" -- includes end of round stats and award winners

Fixed rare bug with map editor's "Import Large PNG" that created hundreds of unnecessary objects when a specific pattern appeared in the source image

Last edited by lamster; 01-19-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 PM

Dude, Thank you SO much. Been waiting a long time for this. Gonna go check it out now.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

Omg its so cool the flames are sick
Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

Mr. Developer, I love you.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Are the Wiki editors also getting their CP?

Also, the new friends list looks nice, I would just recommend putting 'Message <player>' before 'Join Server', because that's what you will want to do most of the time...
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post

New JSON server log entry type:"roundEnd" -- includes end of round stats and award winner
<3 thx bro
Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 PM

Dear God please give me back my mouse control bar back, I've played so much with this I feel lost witout it, please dont change what were used too. Is there any particular reason it was removed or is there a way I can turn it back on
Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Hmm... flames or checks... only have enough CP for one. Flames it is.

Speaking of CP, got any methods of earning it other than editing some wiki somewhere?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 PM

Default please make it OPTIONAL

Hey there devs..

As I started playing Miranda using my mouse for throttle and direction, I wished for the mouse cursor to reorient when I change direction...

Now, after a few months of playing the game, I got so used to it doing no such thing, that it is in my very muscle memory to do it manually, which, of course, now leads to total clusterf***

I feel sort of betrayed. This update debilitates my abilities very much, since Miranda is my favourite plane, and I have already developed a playstyle which RELIES on the cursor NOT reorienting.

In the first 5 minutes after the update I have also already heard people who play mouse-direction only complain about the disappearing bar.

Could you please make those things optional? Because it is reeeeeeeeally a big drag for everyone who is used to it.

People who are new to the game will have the ability to chose, and old geezers like myself will be happy not having to relearn "walking" too.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

200 CP wow I love you ! Thanks <3
Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
Hey there devs..

As I started playing Miranda using my mouse for throttle and direction, I wished for the mouse cursor to reorient when I change direction...

Now, after a few months of playing the game, I got so used to it doing no such thing, that it is in my very muscle memory to do it manually, which, of course, now leads to total clusterf***

I feel sort of betrayed. This update debilitates my abilities very much, since Miranda is my favourite plane, and I have already developed a playstyle which RELIES on the cursor NOT reorienting.

In the first 5 minutes after the update I have also already heard people who play mouse-direction only complain about the disappearing bar.

Could you please make those things optional? Because it is reeeeeeeeally a big drag for everyone who is used to it.

People who are new to the game will have the ability to chose, and old geezers like myself will be happy not having to relearn "walking" too.
Big +1 for these to be optional. I use the 'unused' throttle bar to keep track of where the mouse pointer is, as it is pretty hard to see that red cross hair most of the time (it is barely visible on some maps).
Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 PM

O_O

Gonna log on right now and check everything out! Tx Guys!

I'm gonna buy that santa hat skin.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaM View Post
Big +1 for these to be optional. I use the 'unused' throttle bar to keep track of where the mouse pointer is, as it is pretty hard to see that red cross hair most of the time (it is barely visible on some maps).
They were removed because they were advantages over keyboard.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
Hey there devs..

Please try the new control scheme for a while and see if you can get used to it. I know change is really annoying, and I apologize for that -- but hopefully this is best for everyone in the long term. The reverse change is intended to align expectations with reality -- I'd prefer everyone experience the same controls but we may add an option to toggle the reverse->reorient mouse behavior if you feel it is distracting even after some practice.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 PM

I would like to request the quad mini-gun biplane (as seen on the website index) to be the next skin. A biplane special edition skin or something.

Also, can we have the separate join-server-from-friends-list button brought back? Along with the old font [size?]. It feels off, somehow. I'd much rather have it be left click for whisper and right click for everything else (assuming join server button is re-added).

I do appreciate the enlarged whisper chatbox, though.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 PM

Now that CP has some uses again I would like to ask about my negative CP total. I have -100cp and as far as I know that should not be possible. I have linked the account to facebook and have at no point removed this link to my facebook account. I am also in the steam group and have never left the group. Is this fixable somehow?

Nice job on ball_snow. Looks great!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM

i do prefer the old friends list though
Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I really like the fact that the online people are in green and that the server name is being displayed, but the lack of join server button feels wrong at first. I will see if I can get used to it.

Imo Flames bomber is the best new skin
Old 01-19-2011, 08:52 PM

Changes look good, will try how it feels.

Just a remark on repositioning the mouse cursor in general. I have tried to indicate in another thread that there is an inherent consequence with doing this.

Take a randa reverse that repositions the mouse cursor. You reverse, fly a 180 degree half-loop, reverse again and repeat. After a while your mouse center will be off your mouse pad requiring lifting and repositioning of the mouse to avoid problems.

This phenomena is called center drift and is indeed inherent to any repositioning of the mouse cursor that is not associated with a matched repositioning of the mouse itself.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blln4lyf View Post
They were removed because they were advantages over keyboard.
There isn't anything stopping people from switching to mouse if they think there is an advantage. I personally use mouse+keyboard because I have a background of playing FPSs and found it more natural than just keyboard. Each control set has its advantages and disadvantages, and people are free to choose and swap when they see fit.

I don't see a big advantage of the bar; it helped you judge how far your plane had turned (as you can move your mouse faster than the plane can turn, the plane position is often behind the mouse position) - something that is provided naturally when turning using keyboard. Additionally, the bar is still there for people who use mouse throttle.

If it is decided that the bar is gone for good (I hope that it can be made optional instead), at least add an option that allows us to choose the colour of the crosshair.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM

Awesome!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

OH WOW!

Thank you so much Erik and Karl!!!!!

I am literally in amazement right now! I love everything about this update, especially the new friendslist UI !!!
<3

EDIT: The snow graphics are amazing as well, thanks for removing that stupid linux icon as well!

Last edited by Ajuk999; 01-19-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM

OK, back to post some more stuff. Firstly, I love the new flame skin. It looks excellent on most colours, and good on the rest. I love the effect when you're smoking too, ahaha.

I have to say that I don't like the new friends list though. The smaller text looks squashed and it just doesn't feel as nice as the old version. But give me a week and I'll have forgotten about the old look, so never mind.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM

Amazing patch is amazing. Brb, going to go buy new randa skins.

EDIT: Please bring back the old friendlist GUI or make it an option. I dun like the new one.

Last edited by Evan20000; 01-19-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM

love update, but no yamaka? :P
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM

I love being able to see which servers my friends are playing in without having to hover over each one.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 PM

I am a mouse player and I like the update, I think you did a good job with the mouse changes. The thermo reorientation is going to take a while to get used to but was necessary. To all the mouse players whining about it its only been like an hour let your eyes get used to it and I think the crosshair is better then the line anyhow a movable aiming indicator ftw.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 PM

I went for an update and all I got was this LOUSY friends list. O.o
Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortva View Post
I went for an update and all I got was this LOUSY friends list. O.o
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
New skin options for all planes under Hangar Deck -> Community Points
* Checkers
* Flames
* Santa Hat

Updated graphics for ball_snow

Mouse control now waits until a mouse button has been pressed before activating (prevents accidental mouse control toggle after Alt+Tab)
Miranda's Reverse now reorients the mouse cursor
Explodet's Thermobaric Rocket now reorients the mouse cursor

Added graphics option (config/options.xml: graphicsOptions ... overrideTargetFps) to manually override target framerate

New JSON server log entry type:"roundEnd" -- includes end of round stats and award winners

Fixed rare bug with map editor's "Import Large PNG" that created hundreds of unnecessary objects when a specific pattern appeared in the source image
quotechars
Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 PM

it's cool but it's also a bit confusing the friends list thing
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 PM

Default Mouse reorientation

+++ to Dams last post: if people feel that mouse is more powerful then the keyboard, why dont they use mouse then?

The center drift problem Urpee is adressing is indeed true, as well. I never had to lift my mouse before, now I will.

If you feel like the mouse-bar is giving mouse players an unfair advantage, then give the keyboraders an option to turn that bar on while using the keyboard, if they feel like they need it.

ADD control possibilities, do not REMOVE them and force us to follow.

And the main point: what you have added is an FORCED AUTOMATION. Which means that it favors the people unable to handle the matter manually anyway, and debilitates the ones who didnt ask for it and are used to handling it manually.

It is pretty much the same thing as with manual or automatic gear switching in a racing game. Imagine it had always been manual only, and then the old players are FORCED to use automatic against their will. "Come on, try automatic, we want it to be the same for everyone".....

I really dont mind newbies learnign to play Miranda faster then I did thanks to this automatic system - at least there will be more formidable opponents. But why cant you just please please please leave us our old, trusted, manual system, so we have to "shift gears" by our very own choice, instead of using the new fancy automatic system, which we dont like.

This is just really not nice of you to do such a thing to us.
Pretty much like a windows update trying to install some "good" automatic stuff you didnt ask for.

Please just make it optional, add an optional mousebar for keyboarders, and everyone will be able to chose the means of control that suit him/her best.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 PM

The new "friends list" interface is perfect! I love it. The new skins are great as well. The santa hat does not affect the hit box, correct?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:03 PM

Us keyboard players who use laptops have no mousees so i think completely block mouse control.

Oh wait no thats dumb, hey whiners:
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

I know America has an obesity problem, but I was kinda happy with the friends' list font size before. Still, it's an improvement visually to have a drop-down menu for each friend rather than buttons. We'll get used to it. Smaller font for the nickname, please.

What have you done to my snow and why is ball'n wearing a santa hat? Ack.
Edit: it's no longer symmetrical because of Santa's scarf.
Thanks for the updates... change is good.

Last edited by tgleaf; 01-19-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 PM

yeah stalin, and us, disabled people with just two fingers, can not use the keyboard for gaming, so mouse is the only choice. block keyboard controls!

just block anything that YOU PERSONALLY dont own or like, and make all players use the same model of the laptop. preferrable the one Mr Stalin owns, so its fair. prohibit key remapping, too.
thats the way to make the game fun for EVERYONE.

your name, while being originally ment ironically, justifies your cause.

Last edited by Snail; 01-19-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM

I thought the huge walls of text over at the mouse discussion thread agreed on shortening the line, not removing it. It seems it's caused an outrage in the mouse-using community who have been strangely quiet when this matter had been (and probably still is) undergoing discussion in that thread.

Nevertheless, I fully trust in the dev's capabilities to promptly fix whatever there is to be fixed.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 PM

1: This update is awesome, thanks.

2: I especially like the explo Santa because Santa is fat. Don't tell me I'm wrong because I know I'm right.

3: At some point could you give the option of switching to the red UI or the recent UI? As cool as it looks, I think that the new one's just for show, and right when I was getting used to the old one it changed again.

4: I understand that you can't make the option to switch skins because then people can constantly switch, but could you maybe do a one-time clear of all skins and give us the points that we used? Because having all these zebra skins is meh now...

All in all, it's great, a lot of work went into this and I appreciate that.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
I thought the huge walls of text over at the mouse discussion thread agreed on shortening the line, not removing it. It seems it's caused an outrage in the mouse-using community who have been strangely quiet when this matter had been (and probably still is) undergoing discussion in that thread.

Nevertheless, I fully trust in the dev's capabilities to promptly fix whatever there is to be fixed.

ah great, an even shorter acceleration line you say? sounds like even worse news then this automatic mouse BS.

look, i get that im the minority here. but im not asking for superpowers, all im asking is let everyone play the game the way they want to, dont force solutions that dont fit everyone down everyones throat. its not like me having to manually move my mouse will make a great imbalance or something.

and yes, ive been trying to play with this new system, and it severely sucks for me.

Last edited by Snail; 01-19-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Not a huge fan of the new friends' list but I guess I'll get used to it. The skins are awesome, though I find it hard to see the checkerboard one. I would have preferred if the santa hat costed more CP than the other ones since it is far superior(!) and will easily get distracting, but whatever.

@Jrath - yeah, the hitbox is the same (check debug mode if you want to be sure).
Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 PM

Just to remark that I do oppose shortening the line because of the impact on mouse-throttle control, but that's already been argued in the other thread.

I don't think there was consensus. But there were plenty of opinions that any of Matt suggestions are good, and Matt indeed did suggest shortening the line. I'm glad the devs didn't do it because it would have been devastating for mouse-only people.

To me the most surprising thing is that devs decided to move mouse cursor for revs. I don't think anyone asked for this and I can imagine that this may turn our to be a nerf to randa controls rather than a needed buff, but to be seen.

I'll reserve judgment of the impact on mouse+keyboard until I got some extensive play.