Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.
Default USA vs. World (TBD) captain nominations

The game will be played on a date/time to be determined (possibly the 1-match APL week?) with the teams being locked as soon as ladder rolls over to season 2. The plan is for the series to be a Bo7 and will be played entirely on one of the 40-slot APL servers. Players currently serving a ladder permaban are to be excluded from this game.

Captains are to be self-nominated and will be voted on at a later date. The responsibilites of a captain include:
  • Choosing three players in their region to act as substitutes.
  • Ensuring all team members are aware of the time and date of the match.
  • Setting the lineups for each match to be played.
  • Determining the map pool via a sort of draft (described below).
  • Creating a team tag.

The map pool draft will be conducted in private with the results being posted afterwards. The map selection order will be as follows, with the available map pool being maps currently on the APL server:

1. USA
2. World
3. World
4. USA
5. World
6. World
7. USA

Since TBD is much more plane composition oriented than ball, I propose that the starting 5 of each team be composed of 1 bomb runner, 2 lights, and 2 heavies with each being the highest rated at their position excluding the captain if he or she is not in the top of their respective planes. Players that play a large multitude of planes spanning both lights and heavies will be considered as lights. Under this system, the current teams barring captains would look like this:

World
Runner: donk
Light: mled
Light: Ingbo
Heavy: Andy
Heavy: Nipple

USA
Runner: tmic
Light: Aya
Light: Synnik
Heavy: Wok3N
Heavy: Kuja900

Under the system of top 5 players regardless of plane, the teams would look like this:

World
1. donk
2. mled
3. Flight 666
4. Ingbo
5. Andy

USA
1. Aya
2. tmic
3. Synnik
4. Wok3N
5. Fartface

Obviously both teams are very similar, but the differences are noticeable. There are, of course, changes pending any ladder played between now and the start of season 2.

Any thoughts, questions, or comments can be posted below. Otherwise, let the nominations begin!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Team: USA

Altitude name: Wok3N

Clan History: tbd: IL/TC/Sammich/fLb - was captain of TC
ball: tVo/twisted/FC - cocaptain of Twisted

Statement: I feel that I have established myself as an active/successful player of the community. Over my length period of playing altitude, I can say that I confidently know how to run and lead a team, pick strategies/plane compositions, and have the most fun! I believe that I will pick the best team of players from the USA and that we will in effect win this match against our worldly counterparts.

To sum it all up as done in the ball thread - I have loads of altitude experience blah blah blah... I'm amazing, vote for me.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 PM

World wins this so easily.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Team: World

Altitude name: Andy

Clan history: fLbSS, bong's, TC, PR - was captain of TC

Statement: Vote for me cuz i will let donk and mled own the USA, maybe ingbo too.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:47 PM

/vote for Andy
/vote for Mled

I genuinely don't care which one gets it, they're both too pro for our chubby American rivals.
(You need another randa-whore amirite? I was top 3 world a week ago)

Last edited by Ribilla; 04-07-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Team: World

Altitude name: mled

Clan History: KLF, PR

Statement: doesnt matter whos capt we got this
Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribilla View Post
World wins this so easily.
I think USA has a good chance if they have Woken/Kuja/Mat and go LOL THREE WHALEZ GTFO LOLOLOLOL
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
I think USA has a good chance if they have Woken/Kuja/Mat and go LOL THREE WHALEZ GTFO LOLOLOLOL
when i read the original post above, i had to laugh. The teams will figure out their plane comps on their own...people worked trying to get on top of ladder and then get booted out because of what plane they play?
Reallllyyy people
Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 PM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

the purpose of this game is to provide the best possible match between the two teams. if that means that light planes have to be booted off the team to make room for heavies, then imo so be it. they didn't work hard to be on this team (it hadn't even existed before today) and they clearly thought being at the top of the ladder was a meaningful reward in and of itself.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
the purpose of this game is to provide the best possible match between the two teams. if that means that light planes have to be booted off the team to make room for heavies, then imo so be it. they didn't work hard to be on this team (it hadn't even existed before today) and they clearly thought being at the top of the ladder was a meaningful reward in and of itself.
Herp
(i'm looking more at usa team) I am sure fart can play heavy. they can figure it out/if they don't well then its their problem. same goes for world team
Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 AM

fart told me himself that he only got to his high rating by playing laser and bomb running. i believe him.

and again, i don't really see how forcing a team to figure out how to compete with a team of 5 lights makes the game any better, which isn't the point. i'm not doing this to further reward those at the top of ladder, i'm doing this because it's the simplest and least biased way of creating a top 5. if we just let the team captain pick his entire team, it would just end up being mostly players from the same tbd team, which is what APL is for. this format enourages team diversity while still creating an extremely entertaining match.

also, save your herps. presumably you're trying to make me look stupid, but you're only proving your own stupidity in the process.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:14 AM

IMO use the same system as for ball, that seemed to work well enough. Even if all 5 top players were light, the wildcards could be 5 heavies and you could make whatever set up you wanted. You could even play an entirely wild-card team. I see no disadvantage of doing this setup.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 AM

because it offers maximum flexibility? what's the point of picking an all-light starting 5 if you're just going to replace the lights with heavies other than continued stroking of e-peens? the lights know they're in the top 5 lights of ladder, and if the captains feel they were snubbed then they'll be added as wild cards. especially in ladder, where it's top-heavy with bomb runners.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
fart told me himself that he only got to his high rating by playing laser and bomb running. i believe him.

and again, i don't really see how forcing a team to figure out how to compete with a team of 5 lights makes the game any better, which isn't the point. i'm not doing this to further reward those at the top of ladder, i'm doing this because it's the simplest and least biased way of creating a top 5. if we just let the team captain pick his entire team, it would just end up being mostly players from the same tbd team, which is what APL is for. this format enourages team diversity while still creating an extremely entertaining match.

also, save your herps. presumably you're trying to make me look stupid, but you're only proving your own stupidity in the process.
lol i just say herp or derp becuase i like to
I am just saying to leave the teams alone they way they are.
im sure decent games will result from both teams. You don't have to force a team to switch planes/they will figure out what they have to do ingame, its nothing we should meddle with. What about Mikesol, he still plays. Ta isn't his only plane if you want a balanced team comp. One of his reasons why he doesnt play ladder anymore is because everyone expects him to play time anchor and im sure he would play explodet or bomber which he has plenty of experience with.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 AM

mikesol is currently 9th among eligible US players, so he wouldn't be playing unless you're conceding your "point". i'm also purposefully excluding players that have not played ladder in a long time. if the US captain wishes to invite mikesol as a wild card and can convince him to play, then i'm all for it. as far as i know though, mike wouldn't want to play in this.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:59 AM

I'm too lazy to look at ladder rankings, but I agree with ssd in this case (Ikr, weird L:O). If I was to only play whale in tbd ladder I think my rating would hover around 15th place, give or take. My record high with whale was 11. Idk where this puts me but IMO put me in as a sub if anything, I don't feel a need to be on the main roster of USA. Also I admire your herp-derping, xx2 d:

Edit: What I am wondering is why Flight got jipped out of your suggested World team. If the idea is not to have 2 runners on a team, why tmic and aya for USA?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 AM

because aya's not a bomb runner
Old 04-08-2011, 01:18 AM

aw this sounds like fun even tho i expect an easy win for world team, although id be happy to have to eat my words on that one!!! thx for considering me ssd <3
Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
sorry bro, good team plane composition isn't one of the mottos of ladder

the best are the best regardless of plane comp
Old 04-08-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
because aya's not a bomb runner
Wat.

I can do everything.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:46 AM

can you make ice cream?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 AM

think there should be a follow up format of this competition where chosen captains from world and usa and they get to freely pick whoever they want to play with in a 2nd game outside of ladderrank. again tho this is an amazing idea even as is i just feel like some of the best usa players (everyone in top of ladder now is obv amazing too) dont really play much ladder, mikesol for instance
Old 04-08-2011, 11:34 AM

btw i vote for mled for captain in world team given how pro he is at every plane and how massive his roll in every clan hes played has been so far in every clan hes played.

for usa i vote woken leads cause id like to see how well he could!

oh as a side thing, if these are the rosters that WILL be played i think every player on both teams could lead cause the comps wont be too hard to figure out ->
in the 2nd type of challenge world vs usa i suggested i think captains will play a bigger part in putting together teams.

Last edited by Ingbo; 04-08-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 PM

bump for any last second nominations - as of right now, the only people who have expressed interest are wok3n for USA and andy/mled for world
Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 PM

For the lols.

Team: USA

Altitude name: Vesuvius

Clan History: tbd: IL

Statement: I'm not really the best at anything. I don't even really expect any votes but Wok3n can't run alone

Vote for Vesu and all your wildest dreams will come true

Last edited by Mt.Vesuvius; 04-12-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:24 PM

id like to change vote to vesuvius
Old 04-12-2011, 03:30 PM

I also vote for Vesu
Old 04-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

If only I could offer someone's wildest dreams too

Congrats vesu
Old 04-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Submitting my vote for Vesuvius.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:38 PM

Campaign posters coming soon
Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM

you guys obv need me. i was #1 world last saturday. :<
Old 04-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Nuf' said..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vote for me.jpg (23.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 PM

Also this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vote for Vesu.jpg (75.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Vesuvius View Post
Also this....
Pedro!

That movie was win.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 PM

Moar??????? OK!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Napoleon.jpg (70.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 PM

When do we begin the voting?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:00 PM

I formally nominate myself for the position of first string benchwarmer.

Thank you for your time.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:23 PM

I can just make pictures all day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yes we can1.jpg (65.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-14-2011, 11:46 PM

I decided that if I win that the name of my team will be {RIBZ}
Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 PM

Just a suggestion as it stands APL takes most weekends on sundays, why not wait till the weekend after the APL final and look at the ladder ratings then as they would be more valid OR put of the final one week and slot this finals into the weekend before the final?! using the ladder ratings then. Also we would need maybe around 8-10 just to make sure theres enough people to show and secondly to involve a bit more of the community =]

Also given ladder 2 has started people are beginning to be more active aka eso, gameguard, void etc, so it might be nice to give ladder season 2 a little more time to develop and get a sample of players that could be considered more valid.

neepneep =]