Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Default Patch: june 25th, balance, map compression + HTTP downloads, bug fixes

================================================== ===============
June 25th, 2009

added new official maps from Maimer and Redshift: ffa_core, tbd_woods, ffa_mayhem, tbd_mayhem
renamed tbd_thecore to tbd_core -- server admins, update your map lists!
added HTTP based map downloads; specify an "HTTP Map Download Source" in the server config UI and players will first attempt to download maps from that web server
added JPG compression for smaller map downloads and better iteration cycles (choose low quality for faster export and faster downloads)
added auto-cleanup of cache directory (if your ~Altitude/maps/cache directory is huge, you may experience a few slow launches as old data is purged)

added "max XP from turrets per round" limitation (150) to discourage turret farming

Biplane:
"Heavy Cannon" - added pierce (only pierces once, 2nd target takes 50% damage), added spark effect for better feedback on piercing collisions
"Heavy Cannon" - reduced damage by 3%
"Heavy Cannon" - reduced range by 5%
Long Range Gun - reduced range by 5%

Bomber:
"Flak Tailgun" - reduced recoil (speed boost) by 15%

Miranda:
Increased "reserved energy while holding max charge" from 300 (30% of normal max energy, 22% with ultracap) to 35% (always)
Increased laser duration (but not damage) by 3%
Cosmetic - Time Anchor line is now smooth (antialiased)

Explodet:
"Thermobarics" - changed smoke trail, rocket afterburner, and explosion effect to make it easier to distinguish from normal rockets
"Thermobarics" - explosion (twist) now affects owner as well
Cosmetic - when your rocket is deployed, the energy bar above your plane changes from blue to cyan

updated spark effect shown when planes are hit by bullets

vote kick threshold increased from 60 to 65%
removed "reason" field from vote kick
demo users can no longer initiate votes against users who own the game

vote changeMap threshold increased based on how long current round has been in progress:
50% for the first minute, then increases linearly until
74% after 7 minutes

modified favorite/bad server list tagging: tags from previous patches will be lost, but tags should always save in the future

fixed a few bugs
Old 06-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like a lot of changes, thanks for adding the maps!
Old 06-26-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
vote kick threshold increased from 60 to 65%
removed "reason" field from vote kick
Thank you very much.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:27 AM

Looks like a nice patch all around, guys. I'm on a 1Mbps connection so I hope mapmakers use compression.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:00 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post

also, thank you for pierce
Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 AM

Looks like a good patch.

The thermo change is the most interesting one to me.
Allowing explodets to quickly turn could give rise to some crazy plays if someone gets it down pat.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:29 AM

Two patches within a month. I love to see developers tweaking things- very committed!
Good show.

"Thermobarics" - explosion (twist) now affects owner as well" - Doh! No more point defense for me! Well, we'll see how it plays...
Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 AM

I really love the addition of new maps. Il have to play a little longer to formulate my opinion about other changes. Interesting idea removing "reason" from vote kicks, thatl cut down on random "because I could" votes.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:03 AM

You can make those balansing patches every week like starcraft or warcraft, but how about something new? Like the destructible objects in game, and suggested hundred times team deathmatch mode?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

very happy about the extra feedback for the explodet. woot!

rest of the stuff seems good at first glance too.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

After a trial run with the new patch I have two comments:

First, I still think pierce is too strong on the heavy cannon. I will always think it should be removed.

Second, the thermobarics affecting one's own plane makes it a lot harder to play. With the original rocket, an explosion near yourself might make you slow down a bit, but with thermobarics it basically becomes only a long range attack and when you are flying directly at someone, you almost inevitably are going to take the hit as well. Why not either just make the explodet take damage from the rockets, or do something like you did with the bomber, where the explodet will only get a percentage (like 40%) of the total effect it would have received?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:29 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

I like the new thermo self-hit. It's not that bad for the explo because you're already expecting it, so if you can't handle that, you're a silly goose.

Last edited by Beagle; 06-26-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:41 AM

I'm glad to see that you added pierce back. It's annoying to play against, but it was one of the most unique factors in the game.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:05 AM

self thermo is random on which direction it turns you. Therefore, you cant expect any practical application of it.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM

I love the new vote things, and the new official maps of course.
Will have to play more to notice real differences for the planes though.
Except i already felt that bomber's flak cannon recoil is indeed much less important.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:19 PM

haven't played yet, but official server(s) still need Grotto :|
Old 06-26-2009, 04:56 PM

Beautiful lam, thanks. Time to pierce some bitches
Old 06-26-2009, 05:25 PM

Patches are always awesome! Big hallelujah for tbd_woods, and the new thermo looks soooo good. I also think that the rocket affecting yourself is just fine, since it's pretty easy to recover from since explo is such a slow plane.

The new sparkles thing when you hit a plane confuses me though, especially when I play biplane. It can be a bit hard to tell which shots are yours when theres 5+ planes on the screen, all shooting and hitting each other :P
Old 06-26-2009, 06:20 PM

Still on the fence about the thermarobics....
I play explodet more than anything and yesterday I was thrown off quite a bit.

I didn't realize how much I used point-blank shots.

But I remember first starting and hating the explodet, so I imagine it will make sense over time.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 PM

A step forward in the votekicking stuff.
However, I keep saying that votekick should be completely disabled and replaced by automatic game kicking script. Chat spam/abuse and intentionally wasting the bomb.. I really do not see others reasons to kick someone.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguard View Post
self thermo is random on which direction it turns you. Therefore, you cant expect any practical application of it.

I don't believe it's random; I've tried it out quite a bit and it always turns you towards the belly of the plane, apparently because the missile shoots out from there. Of course, the belly may change often and could be difficult to discern in real-speed game situations. I highly doubt we'll ever find a practical application for self-thermo, simply because simple turning is just more useful.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
A step forward in the votekicking stuff.
However, I keep saying that votekick should be completely disabled and replaced by automatic game kicking script. Chat spam/abuse and intentionally wasting the bomb.. I really do not see others reasons to kick someone.
GL coding something to detect bomb wasting
Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 PM

Damnit Lam! where is our zoomed out view?? I think most people would agree zooming out by as much as 20% or so(like the good old days) would be very helpful, and appreciated by all!

Prehaps make it a user selectable setting, like quakes /cg_fov "90" so the user can choose how much fov they want, or can leave it as is, if thats what they are used to..

and no anti-blank..... tisk.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth View Post
GL coding something to detect bomb wasting
Easy

Code:
 Player released a bomb.
           ||
           ||
           ||
           ||
           \/                      NO
Is the player 'TheCapedAvenger'? =====> Bomb not wasted.

||                                ||
           ||YES                             ||
           \/                                \/
   Bomb has been wasted.                 Do Nothing.

||
           ||
           ||
           ||
           \/
    Insult and kick.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 AM

btw
I actually haven't seen Caped in a while.
Is he still playing ?
Old 06-27-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebone View Post
I highly doubt we'll ever find a practical application for self-thermo, simply because simple turning is just more useful.
I've actually managed to pull off a couple (accidental) clutch self-thermos, resulting in me staying alive and killing 1-2 people, but its more risk than its worth for the most part.

I knew I was screwed for turning so I sped up, self thermoed and basically did an instant 180, launched myself off a wall with a bomb and avoided imminent death.

I'm sure with some practice I'll be able to pull it off ~50% of the time, with the other half sending me the wrong way into a wall. If anyone can pull it off regularly I'm sure they'll find some strats that work for it. I mean I never really noticed anyone dash attacking with miranda until recently, now everyone does it all the time.

Last edited by Carbon; 06-27-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:42 PM

Where do i actually DOWNLOAD the patch??? None of the maps will load for me, and I am running Mac OS X Leopard- 10.5.7 Intel... Any suggestions?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Altitude should auto-update every time you restart it -- are you cancelling the update check?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:16 PM

Didn't want to let this die --

What are everyone's thoughts on the new thermo now that they've had the chance to play it? To a casual player, the change may not have been that substantial, but the self-twist feature severely impares the explodet's close game. The only time you can really detonate a missle or mine close range now is in open areas. I agree that the explodet should probably receive some self damage, but there are times now where you'd really almost be better off not firing back at an enemy at the risk of twisting yourself into a wall. If some type of knock back must be employed, perhaps something more along the lines of the director's behavior would be more reasonable.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:32 PM

I still like it, even though Ive self-owned myself quite a few times. Usually though the only times I detonate it in close range are times when Im gonna die anyways, I just hope to drag someone else with me.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 PM

It's a lot harsher penalty than directors, that's for sure. I can get out of a stall with a mine hop or rocket jump. Slamming my face into a rock due to close-range thermo shot generally leads to death. I havent killed myself *that* often with it, but it sure does suck when you end up killing yourself with it.

On the other hand, maybe I should use Rubber Hull with my thermo loadout.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
On the other hand, maybe I should use Rubber Hull with my thermo loadout.
I'm going to give this a try.

I've found myself using director more since the patch when I know I'm going to encounter close combat.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlyte View Post

What are everyone's thoughts on the new thermo now that they've had the chance to play it?
As has been pointed out, thermo sucks at close range. Now there is actually a choice to be made between director and thermo.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlyte View Post

What are everyone's thoughts on the new thermo now that they've had the chance to play it? To a casual player, the change may not have been that substantial, but the self-twist feature severely impares the explodet's close game. The only time you can really detonate a missle or mine close range now is in open areas. I agree that the explodet should probably receive some self damage, but there are times now where you'd really almost be better off not firing back at an enemy at the risk of twisting yourself into a wall. If some type of knock back must be employed, perhaps something more along the lines of the director's behavior would be more reasonable.
I would support changing thermo's self-twist to the director's self-knockback. This way, you are still penalized for close-range detonations in both damage and movement, but you are no longer guaranteed death when using primary fire in tight spaces. (Also, thermos could then rocket-jump )
Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

pretty surprised that so many people are killing themselves with thermo. it's only happened to me once, and I felt like it was pretty deserved for getting myself in that situation.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
pretty surprised that so many people are killing themselves with thermo. it's only happened to me once, and I felt like it was pretty deserved for getting myself in that situation.
self-thermo deaths are probably my #1 way of dying with that config. Then again, I go for a lot of thermo -> mine at close range which ends up having myself go flying incredibly fast into a wall unable to turn :|