Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:55 PM

Default voting from the score screen: it hurts people.

what happened: i spec'd in lobby.. without realizing a vote had been called (and quickly passed) from the score screen, during which i was spawned.

walked away from computer for 2 minutes, came back to a 1-1 game.. pressed f to reset my idle timer and was surprised to see myself spawn.

anyway, i got a two-day ban for it. tgleaf: if that can be reduced or lifted i'd appreciate it, if not i understand.

apologies to the players involved in that game!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

You did come back and play and I know that those votes can hide pretty easily among the wall of text.

Standard ban for spectating for part of a game is two days.

I'll reduce this to a warning but please be more careful next time.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
You did come back and play and I know that those votes can hide pretty easily among the wall of text.

Standard ban for spectating for part of a game is two days.

I'll reduce this to a warning but please be more careful next time.
Thanks, I really appreciate that.

I wish we'd find a way to stop score-screen voting. I tried to make this thread a little crusade for that, lol.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:03 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

kennedy is a heathen and must be shunned
Old 06-04-2011, 01:24 AM

If you planned to walk away for a couple of minutes, why did you join a team in the lobby? Last time I checked players are set as spectators when map changes to lobby, so you must have joined a team before walking away in order to get autobalanced into the next game.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:40 AM

the idea is that if you ever go into a team while in lobby, you are expected to stay and play for whatever vote might be voted in. if you do not wish to, you should not go in in the first place or spec out before the vote gets passed. for this reason i don't see this particular incident as a valid argument against voting pre-lobby.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

I think he was saying that he finished playing a game and was still on a team (at the score results screen) and people voted to start a new map. He then spec'ed (after the vote, without realizing there had been a vote) and went afk for a bit. There never was a lobby in this case.

And I agree that it might be a good idea to prevent votes at the score results screen to prevent this, if possible.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:07 AM

that's the thing--the vote for custom startladder will only work if the map is currently the lobby at the time of the vote passing (not at the time of the vote being called). what he meant was that the game ended, and then someone called a vote before score screen ended (without him having seen it), then the game changed to the lobby. thinking that the game won't start for at least a minute (because he hadn't seen the vote), he pressed f in lobby and stepped away from the computer. the vote then passed and he was taken directly to a game, where he was afk for a minute before realizing.

that's an ok excuse for a singular instance, but in general, if you ever press f in the lobby, you should stay at your computer until either 1. you decide not to play and then spec before vote is called or 2. the game starts and you weren't chosen to play in the game.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, nobo. Make more sense now.

Should have been a ban. Consider yourself lucky, adderall.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
Thanks, nobo. Make more sense now.

Should have been a ban. Consider yourself lucky, adderall.
As I already said I appreciate you lifting it, but nobo's assumptions don't match what transpired:

I pressed f after the round, realized I needed to spec the next game to take care of something, and spec'd. THEN walked away.

What I didn't realize is that between pressing f and spec'ing, that a vote had taken place (as the vote had started at the score screen, and apparently finished immediately after getting into lobby).

. . .

I would never go in and then walk away, just in the hopes that a vote wouldn't happen. I think anyone who has played with me can vouch for that. I absolutely despise when people don't pay attention.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Just going to chime in that is it pretty obnoxious when people vote for a new match in the awards screen. It is possible that you can exclude some players from that as people load lobby at different speeds.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:44 AM

I would love to enforce a ban for anyone who calls a vote during the awards screen.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebone View Post
I would love to enforce a ban for anyone who calls a vote during the awards screen.
Pretty much the same people do it every time in an attempt to manipulate full servers and increase their odds of playing. It's mega-douchy and I support any bans for it.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Whether it causes such problems or not, voting in the end-game screen is just damn annoying.

Wait a couple of seconds to the lobby damnit.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:34 PM

There should just be an automatic vote/custom/start random on the lobby page anyway.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:32 PM

I agree that you should not be aloud to vote in the end game screen, I have a slightly slow computer so I have to spam f as fast as I possibly can to get a chance of playing. And people have slower computers than me.

I completely disagree with dyno, reasons being. What if you want to custom/start/(map) not random, or if you want to custom/test/map.

If there is an automatic custom/start/random, then both of these features are completely useless.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 PM

What I think dyno means is that it would be a vote, so if people didn't want that they would just vote 2 and stay in the lobby like normal.

But i do agree with not starting votes in the score screen - just lame imo
Old 06-05-2011, 12:42 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
What I think dyno means is that it would be a vote, so if people didn't want that they would just vote 2 and stay in the lobby like normal.

But i do agree with not starting votes in the score screen - just lame imo
yes, but 99% of people will just push 1 because they are lifeless husks with absolutely no motivation or will of their own. it's amazing we even remember to breathe
Old 06-05-2011, 05:21 AM

Yeah, spart they might push two, but that is even decreasing the odds of testing or custom starting a map to like 100/1. It's hard enough already.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
Yeah, spart they might push two, but that is even decreasing the odds of testing or custom starting a map to like 100/1. It's hard enough already.
No I know, I'm not necessarily agreeing with it. Just letting you know what I think Dyno meant. But yea the main point is that voting on the score screen isn't good....