Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Mafia
FAQ Community Calendar

Mafia Mafia forum games.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default Insane mafia

Prepare thyself! Insanity is headed your way, in the form of an epic, epic mafia game. This game will begin when Kennedy's current game ends, and is presently slated for 30 players but can be expanded if sign-ups exceed expectations. Here are some reasons why you need to sign up for this game:

1) Everyone gets a role! The moment you all dread when you sign up for a game is opening your role PM to find that you are a vanilla townie. Well, guess what? There are no vanilla townies in INSANE MAFIA. Some roles will be more or less powerful than others, but each and every role is unique (almost every one anyway...) and I've tried my best to make sure each one is at least interesting.

2) No boring/pointless Day 1! First Days in Altitude Mafia games have been plagued by content-free posts saying such interesting and helpful things as "I vote no lynch". Not in INSANE MAFIA! Day 1 will consist of a Mayoral Election, where the town will vote to elect a Mayor rather than voting to lynch someone. The Mayor will have two bodyguards who must be killed before the mayor can be targetted by any actions including night kills. He will select one person at the end of Day 1 to be instantly lynched. His vote will also count as 2 votes. If this sounds really good to you, that's because it is. Electing a mayor that belongs to your team is a great first step to the game and should get everyone participating right off the bat.

3) No waiting and wondering when the next Day/Night transition will be! Days will be 72 hours and Nights will be 48 hours, enforced strictly. The phases will transition at 11pm EST (the actual post may come a bit later depending on what I'm doing that night, but 11pm will be the deadline for actions from that phase). Failure to vote/post during the day phase will result in an immediate modkill and failure to submit night actions will result in losing your night action.

I'm going to bed now, but at some point this thread will be updated with more details about INSANE MAFIA. Trust me, it'll be fun.

Last edited by GGQ; 07-28-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Default Insane mafia

INSANE MAFIA RULES AND DETAILS AND SUCH LIKE

***NOTE THAT THESE RULES ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE GENERIC ONES IN THE STICKY***

Cheating
1) No posting of any PM you receive from the host, in whole or in part.
2) No using role PM times or screenshots or any other meta-game crap like that to try to figure out alignment (role times won't work in this game anyways)
3) No posting after death besides the one goodbye post that cannot contain any info relevant to the game.
4) NO DISCUSSION OF THE GAME OUTSIDE THE THREAD EXCEPT WITH PLAYERS THAT YOU EXPLICITLY HAVE PM RIGHTS WITH.
5) NO attempting to infiltrate or access a quicktopic/irc/whatever that I haven't specifically given you permission to be a part of.

Voting
1) There will be a separate thread in the Mafia forum for voting. This will allow me to quickly see whose votes are on whom while retaining my sanity.
2) Votes will be posted in the form of "vote:PLAYER"
3) If you want to change your vote, you MUST post "unvote:Player1" before you post "vote:Player2"
4) YOU MAY NOT VOTE NO LYNCH. THAT SUCKS AND IS LAME.
5) In the event of a tie, there will be no lynch.

Modkills
1) Offenses may be grounds for either a warning or a modkill. The difference will be entirely at my discretion.
2) You must vote every day phase, and post at least once per day/night cyle (that's 5 ****ing days, so I think I'm being pretty lenient) or you will be modkilled
3) There may be other mechanics in the game designed to discourage lurking...
4) Cheating is grounds for immediate modkill, as well as a ban from ever not being a dick.

Roleclaims
1) You are allowed to roleclaim, both your role name and your powers, but as listed in the rules above you may not copy/paste any part of your role PM. I'll warn you to be very careful about claiming. That's all I'm saying.
2) You are also allowed to fake roleclaim, as this is often hilarious when roles are all hidden. Have fun and be creative. Fake roleclaiming also presents its risks, of course.

Day/Night Cycle
1) Days will last 72 hours and Nights will last 48 hours. Each phase shift will take place at 11pm EST sharp.
2) In the case that the phase shift post is late, any actions or votes submitted after the deadline will not be counted
3) You can continue to post between the deadline and the phase shift post, because I cant really stop you, can I?

Misc
1) Do not throw the game or attempt to help someone else's team win. Play to the furthering of your own win condition at all times.
2) DONT EDIT YOUR POSTS. Avoid the edit button. This is grounds for a warning, or if I think the offense was intentional and blatant, a modkill. Just double post to add stuff in or re-format or whatever. I promise I won't redcard you.

INSANE MAFIA DETAILS AND GAME SETUP

This will be a CLOSED setup, with role flip upon death. You will have no idea what roles and abilities are out there. INSANE MAFIA is about rolling with the punches and figuring things out as you go. I will not be giving clues in the Day posts, at least not in the traditional sense. My day posts will give hints about actions that took place in the night, you can use them to help you get your bearings and keep a grasp of what is going on.

Of course, I will provide SOME information here to help you all out.

There are four different factions in the game.

Townie- While somewhat less helpless than most townies, the citizens of Insania certainly have something in common with their fellows; they are alone and confused. Townies do not have PM rights unless it is specifically stated in their role PM, so they will be figuring everything out on their own and through the thread. Best of luck to you as you attempt to rid your town of danger. Townies win when all anti-town forces have been removed from the game.
Police- In a world of dark and deadly powers, the townies need someone to guide them and help them along. This someone is the Police Force. The Police work as a team, using their PM circle, their powerful abilities, and their top-secret information to clean the filth out of Insania. The Police win with the Townies.
Mafia- The mafia have always been a plague on this town. Organised crime is on the rise in recent years, and it seems that the Mafia are finally ready to make a bid for power. They are pulling out all the stops, hitting hard and fast to take control of Insania. The Mafia win when they comprise at least 50% of the town.
Corporation- A shadowy business conglomerate backed by mysterious foreign investors, the Corporation has moved into Insania only recently. Already they have made many enemies with their power-hungry attitude and shady business tactics, but those enemies always seem to mysteriously disappear... With their advanced technology, every member of the Corporation is permanently bulletproof. The Corporation wins when they comprise at least 50% of the town.

Regarding "Bulletproof": There is a difference between bulletproof and having an extra night life. The extra night life is the traditional "veteran" role; the first time you get shot, you survive, the second time you die. If you are bulletproof you can get hit by infinite KP and keep on trucking. In this specific game, however, there is an exception. Any "explosive" weapon will interfere with the bulletproof technology and leave the bulletproof player vulnerable to KP for the rest of the night. To be more specific, an explosive weapon can either kill a non-bullet proof player, or it can be used in conjunction with another KP to kill a bulletproof player. Or the bulletproof player can just be lynched. Either way. Anyone with an 'explosive' weapon will be notified of such.

Regarding the Mayor: Do not start campaigning for Mayor until AFTER the game starts. Voting for mayor will take place the same way as voting for a lynch. Players will not vote for a lynch on day 1; instead, they will vote for a Mayor who will decide the lynch himself. The Mayor will receive two bodyguards who are guaranteed to be town (they will know that they are bodyguards, the Mayor will not know their identities), and the Mayor cannot be targetted by any kind of ability until the bodyguards are dead. The Mayor can, however, be lynched. The Mayor's vote counts for 2 votes.

Last edited by GGQ; 09-01-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Default Insane mafia

1) Duck Duck Pwn
2) evilarsenal
3) Clapon
4) Kennedy
5) Woken
6) sunshineduck
7) [Y]
8) Spartan
9) Premier Stalin
10) yankinlk
11) Dark_Sage
12) Ribilla
13) MintzMachete
14) Sean
15) shrode
16) iamjagman
17) Xorg
18) Smushface
19) nobodyhome
20) Selfish Lover
21) Massi
22) Torrent
23) acegunner
24) mjolnir
25) andy
26) Danielle
27) OT Piccolo
28) G00SE
29) gammelonkel
30) GGQ Banking (bot)

There are currently 1 players and 1 bot remaining.

There are currently 0 Townies remaining.
There are currently 0 Police remaining.
There are currently 1 Mafia remaining.
There are currently 0 Corporation remaining.

Current Mafia KP is 1
Current Corporation KP is 0
Current Police Force KP is 0

Last edited by GGQ; 09-25-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:28 PM

Presenting... THE ITEM MINI-GAME!

Hello, Insanians! I am a bot representing GGQ Banking, the premier banking service of Insania. I am not aligned to any of the factions, and I do not have a win condition. I win no matter what; troubled times are gold mines when you know what you're doing.

Recently, we have been presented with a proposition to invest in a few powerful items. In order to make an informed decision, we are looking for volunteers to test out these items for us. Please sign up by posting "/in item game" in the thread below. Of course, you have to sign up for the main game as well in order to play the mini-game!

There will be six players in the Item Game. Four will be green townies, one will be mafia, and one will be corporation. The players in the item game will have NO special abilities of their own, instead they will each receive an item from GGQ Banking which they can use like a role. However, there is more to the Item Game.

Each night, you will have three options. You can try to use your item, whatever it does. You can can try to steal someone else's item. If they are not defending it, you will get their item in the morning in addition to your own item. Or you can defend your items, which will prevent them from being stolen. If someone steals your item while you are trying to use its power, the power will fail.

All six players in the Item Game will be allowed to PM each other. Make plans, set traps, trick or trust each other. We want to see what these items can do under the most dire of circumstances.

Finally, as a way of motivating players to volunteer for our Item Game, we offer a reward. If you can get the members of both other teams in the Item Game killed off, we will give all six items to your team to use until the end of the game. This means that you Item Game players will be very valuable indeed. Good Luck, and Have Fun!

Item Game Players:
1) Spartan
2) Smushface
3) Clapon
4) evilarsenal
5) Kennedy
6) Sunshineduck

There are currently 0 Townies remaining.
There are currently 0 Mafia remaining.
There are currently 0 Corporation remaining.

Last edited by GGQ; 09-22-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 PM

I'll play if you play.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smushface View Post
I'll play if you play.
Well, I'll be operating a Banking Bot in the game. The bot won't actually be playing the game in any meaningful way, it's mostly just there to run the Item Game, which is like a mini-game inside INSANE MAFIA. Does that count?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 PM

Location: longest spear =====================================================================================>

Sign me up pl0x.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGQ View Post
Well, I'll be operating a Banking Bot in the game. The bot won't actually be playing the game in any meaningful way, it's mostly just there to run the Item Game, which is like a mini-game inside INSANE MAFIA. Does that count?
We still have a score to settle over you abandoning me last game.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:39 AM

ooooh oooh i want in. The current one is so slow!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:01 AM

This will be my first game of mafia, but sign me up.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smushface View Post
We still have a score to settle over you abandoning me last game.
/Wince

How about to make up for it, I promise that I won't make you a vanilla townie in this game?

Seriously, though, I think it's pretty obvious why I can't play in a game I'm moderating.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Et tu Brute?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:33 PM

I used to play mafia IRL, and I enjoyed it. That my 1st forum mafia game. So, sign me up, GGQ
Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Just bumping to notify everyone that signed up to read the updated posts, and consider signing up for the Item Game!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 PM

I'll volunteer for the item game as well
Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 PM

I'll play.

/in item game
Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 PM

i'll sign up for regular game.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 PM

ill play

/in item game
Old 07-28-2011, 10:58 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

I'll play.

/in item game
Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 PM

I wanna play
Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfish Lover View Post
I wanna play
I signed you up for just the regular game, since you didn't specify whether you wanted to play the Item Game as well.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I signed you up for just the regular game, since you didn't specify whether you wanted to play the Item Game as well.
I don't. This is gonna be my first mafia game so I'm gonna keep it simple this time. Maybe on the next go round...
Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 AM

/in item game
Old 07-29-2011, 02:01 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

/in item game
Old 07-29-2011, 04:25 AM

I feel it is time to play more mafia..

I'm in!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Inb4 cappp
Old 07-30-2011, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Eight more, join it up!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 PM

I am so in. This sounds epic. Thanks a lot ggq

Last edited by acegunner; 08-01-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM

im tempted but i havent got a bloody clue how to play!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicallad View Post
im tempted but i havent got a bloody clue how to play!
All the players in the game are divided into Town and Mafia (in this game there's a third faction, Corporation, that basically counts as a second, separate Mafia team, but's that's because this is INSANE MAFIA so we have to keep things extra interesting).

The idea is that Town starts out by outnumbering the Mafia by a large margin (in a 30 person game, the mafia is generally 6 people), but the Mafia all know each others identities and can talk in private which gives them an advantage. The Town generally don't get to know anyone else's role.

The game follows a repeating pattern: There's a day phase, then a night phase, then a day phase, then a night phase, etc.

Each day phase, everyone in the game discusses which players they think are mafia. Everybody casts a vote on who to lynch, and at the end of the day that player is lynched. The town tries to figure out who is mafia, the mafia tries to trick and confuse them.

Each night phase, the mafia gets to choose a certain number of players (generally based on how many mafia players are left) to kill. There are usually also a few town-sided players with special roles that can be used during the night. Generally there are only a few town players with roles, but in this game everyone will have a role of some kind (again, INSANE MAFIA).

Basically, to be a good town-sided player requires you to develop two major skills. First, you need the ability to analyse people's posts and the thought patterns behind them. Look at what their goals and intentions are with every post, and the psychology behind what they're writing. There are ALWAYS ways to find the scum in forum mafia; many bad town players, after leading a mislynch, will blame the person they mislynched for "playing badly". The truth is that after day 1, any mislynch is bad play on the part of the town that mislynched. The second skill you need is the ability to convince people. This is an entirely separate but equally important skill. You need to be able to present a case that people can follow without the mafia being able to write it off or spam it away. Personally, I've been playing many games of forum mafia on other forums and while I can usually spot the mafia very quickly, I have trouble convincing people to lynch the players I want lynched.

To be a good mafia player (and just ftr, I'm much better at town than mafia), you need to be able to dissemble and blend in, but also be able to mislead and confuse town. These two skills tend to clash with each other, which makes playing mafia like balancing on a knife's edge. On the one hand, you have to try to post like a townie and sound like a townie. On the other hand, if you are actually being helpful to the town, you are just making your team lose! You need to subtly sow dissension in the town. You want townies to distrust and argue with each other. Don't let them organise and work together or you're done.

When you get decent at it, mafia is a very fun and intense game. This particular game will be crazy and not very indicative of what a regular game of mafia is like, but it's going to be a blast and should be an interesting way to try out mafia .
Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Sounds fun, sign me up.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:46 AM

bbbbbbbbump
Old 08-03-2011, 02:34 AM

I wanna play!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
many bad town players, after leading a mislynch, will blame the person they mislynched for "playing badly".
Ha

****************]albinochars[/COLOR]
Old 08-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Danielle

I've decided I like you a bit more today.
Sign me up.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Danielle

Also, to clarify, could the mayor also be mafia? Or if he was mafia, does he lose his mafia ability to gain the mayor role?

Would the bodyguards who protect the mayor also lose their original roles?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Also, to clarify, could the mayor also be mafia? Or if he was mafia, does he lose his mafia ability to gain the mayor role?

Would the bodyguards who protect the mayor also lose their original roles?
The mayor can be from any alignment, no one is prevented from being mayor.

The mayor gains his mayor powers in addition to whatever role he has.

The bodyguards will not lose their original roles either; actually I already know which two roles will be made the bodyguards.

It's important that the mayor can be any alignment because that's part of what makes Day 1 more exciting than usual. Both the mafia and the corporation would like to get one of their members into the mayor's seat, and the town would like to stop that from happening. Electing the mayor is just a way to jumpstart the game.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 PM

What if one of the bodyguard roles gets mayor?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribilla View Post
What if one of the bodyguard roles gets mayor?
Then they'll be short one bodyguard. They'll know as soon as they get their roles that they'll be bodyguards, though, so they can opt to not run for mayor.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:24 AM

You spelled ma name wrong :O