Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Default Patch: August 4th, new maps, misc, server launcher command line overrides

================================================== ===============
August 4th, 2011

New beginner TBD maps:
tbd_cavern
tbd_channelpark
tbd_fracas
tbd_gliderpark
tbd_greywar
tbd_meteoroids
tbd_powder
tbd_proton

New players now see a green checkmark instead of a gray dash next to servers that allow max level players

Friend chat windows can now be closed with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+W

Added new command line overrides for the server launcher executable (server_launcher):
-ip X
-updatePort X
-gamePorts X,Y,Z
-maxPlayers X,Y,Z
Example usage for a launcher with 1 server instance: ./server_launcher -ip 192.168.1.3 -updatePort 40000 -gamePorts 40001 -maxPlayers 14
Example usage for a launcher with 3 server instances: ./server_launcher -ip 192.168.1.3 -updatePort 40000 -gamePorts 40001,40002,40003 -maxPlayers 8,14,14

Last edited by lamster; 08-05-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:21 AM

I was hoping for skins and challenges but how is that going?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 AM

There's a bug with the TA - it sends me to the lower left corner (I'm assuming it's 0,0 on the canvas) upon anchoring. Also the loopy is still playable by players over level 59.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 AM

tbd_cavern and ball_cavern doesn't have a ceiling or roof.

just to let you know
Old 08-05-2011, 01:09 PM

whatever the upgrade was..

fixed my unresponsive servers !!!

<3
Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to VeRiTaS Send a message via Skype™ to VeRiTaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwu View Post
whatever the upgrade was..

fixed my unresponsive servers !!!

<3
does that mean you are back in TBD ?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:12 PM

new planes and new perks T_T
Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Coffee View Post
new planes and new perks T_T
We've just been spoiled recently with massive updates. Chill, this brings some nice little fixes and ease of use features.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:06 AM

I think the beginner maps might be too ez... so open they encourage the use of loopy, not letting the newbies develop aiming skills.
They're in for a surprise once they hit the real pubs :S
Old 08-06-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inofaith View Post
I think the beginner maps might be too ez... so open they encourage the use of loopy, not letting the newbies develop aiming skills.
They're in for a surprise once they hit the real pubs :S
Actually ino, i have spent some time in the newbie servers mostly just to see how their experience is going and the plane choices are quite varied.Im glad to say very little rubber hulls apart from those who cant have anything else yet as they didn't unlock them.

I think Karl's modified official maps have served well so far, nice touch in making the PUP's spawn quicker to keep the games flowing.

There is obviously a distinct difference between those and official maps but i think they serve well in a beginner setting. Yes loops will always been in abundance with newer players as it falls into the 'easy to play - hard to master' category.

I hope that the newer players spot these obvious differences and can then make a decision as to how they will spend their altitude time.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:00 AM

I think the new ball maps are great, but an open TBD map is a very bad thing indeed. I'm not sure how to make them easier for new players, but I'm sure if you ask most of the decent bomb runners in this game they'll tell you that a very open map is incredibly difficult to run on.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Good point about tbd maps and bomb running , but some players will migrate to officials and eventually ladder and leagues while most won't. Im glad to have seen though that players are making good efforts to block bombs which is cool, ive seen a couple of mega's in these new servers from bomb blocking lol.

They'll see the differences, and if they dont (loke jaywalker, sia etc lol) then thats fine but slightly annoying.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribilla View Post
I think the new ball maps are great, but an open TBD map is a very bad thing indeed. I'm not sure how to make them easier for new players, but I'm sure if you ask most of the decent bomb runners in this game they'll tell you that a very open map is incredibly difficult to run on.
I agree here with Rib. Except for the difficult-to-run part, I found it incredibly eaiser to just lob it from off screen and hit the base. Not to say that implementing more beginner maps for friendliness of learning, but it just seems like an upgraded version of football. I wanna see more tbd maps! No offense ball, but tbd is really lacking newer, better maps.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juin View Post
There's a bug... Also the loopy is still playable by players over level 59.
lol, so much hate, Juin.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:01 AM
Banned

I am disappoint

no whale nerfs ;(

P.s new maps work, I've seen less football servers and more players sticking around after the sale.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 PM

@Lamster:

Seriously, GREAT job with the adaptation of the maps for new coming players.
I played a few of them:
Cave - Cavern
Core - Proton
DarkWar - GreyWar

They are really simplified, buts still really enjoyable; even for mid-advanced players.
They provide wide open spaces (football's cancer symptom D; but still some obstacles to play with. (and avoiding the loopy mayhem!).

Great job.

However, I'm still wondering if you are planning on tweaking any of the current planes (nerfs or buffing):
IMHO, when you ace for the first time, you feel that each new red perk is better than the previous
single tracking missile -> double tracking
dogfight (recoill) -> recoilles
Director -> thermo (maybe this is argueable)

But when you reach lvl 60 you realise that it's just a matter of preference and situational (map control). But I feel now that the first red perks are kind of less powerfull that the other 2.
Loopy is a perfect example; you will never see someone with single tracking missile, neither a biplane with dogfighter. There are perks that are obsolete once you reach lvl 60. Maybe you could focus on buffing those.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:39 PM

I play tracker in TBD league matches :<
Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 PM

Old 08-09-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheWalls View Post
@Lamster:

Seriously, GREAT job with the adaptation of the maps for new coming players.
I played a few of them:
Cave - Cavern
Core - Proton
DarkWar - GreyWar

They are really simplified, buts still really enjoyable; even for mid-advanced players.
They provide wide open spaces (football's cancer symptom D; but still some obstacles to play with. (and avoiding the loopy mayhem!).

Great job.

However, I'm still wondering if you are planning on tweaking any of the current planes (nerfs or buffing):
IMHO, when you ace for the first time, you feel that each new red perk is better than the previous
single tracking missile -> double tracking
dogfight (recoill) -> recoilles
Director -> thermo (maybe this is argueable)

But when you reach lvl 60 you realise that it's just a matter of preference and situational (map control). But I feel now that the first red perks are kind of less powerfull that the other 2.
Loopy is a perfect example; you will never see someone with single tracking missile, neither a biplane with dogfighter. There are perks that are obsolete once you reach lvl 60. Maybe you could focus on buffing those.
- I think that tracker loopy definitely has an application on a situational basis.

- I completely disagree with you about dogfighter. I prefer dogfighter 100x over recoiless. I'm no pro with bip, but I definitely feel that if used right (focusing on burst fire), dogfighter is badass.

- Yeah I think most of Alty would agree that thermo is better in almost all situations over director. And then in situations where the director primary would be better than thermo, most would just go to remote rather than director.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elxir View Post
I play tracker in TBD league matches :<
I used to play tracker in like ladder and stuff like that.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribilla View Post
That was kindo my point, it allows 1 or even 4 loopies to dominate anything that pops up on the edge of their screen.
But ok I can see how it's less crash likely for newcomers so they can learn the ropes.

Though I remember somebody mentioning in a reverse-tutorial that it's better (in that case) not to use rubber because you'll make it too easy on yourself and that you'll learn quicker if you choose the hard way.

I would just opt for separating the levels in certain servers so that experienced players won't invade a newcomers server and pwn them. That way they can learn in peace, and not pieces.
(cuz those simple maps are now also in official 1 and 3... ??)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 PM

Could this be added as a command line variable also?
-downloadMaxKilobytesPerSecond