Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > League Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

League Organization Only pertinent league information in here.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:09 AM

Default The Summer Shoot-out

CANCELLED

========================================

Presenting:

THE SUMMER SHOOT-OUT

What: 6v6 Ball Tourny
When: 8/21
Time: 1700GMT (1pm EDT)
Where: APL 1-4 (unless both teams agree to switch somewhere else) (I sent Phong a PM to see if it was cool to use APL, waiting for the reply)
About: This is not going to be your typical SL or WABL. You cannot take any games off like your normal BO3 league matches. Each match until the playoffs will be a BO1, yep that’s not a typo, BO1.

Format:
Depending on the how many teams sign up, I’d like to split the tournament into two stages.

Stage 1 –
Round robin, where everyone plays everyone else in a BO1. I’ll provide a schedule once I have the list of teams finalized. You obviously can play the games earlier than scheduled if desired, however stalling is not cool. There will be A LOT of games and assumed chaos by running a format like this. You need to take a ****? Take it at 1630GMT. You are hungry? Eat at 1630GMT. You need to smoke a joint? Roll that ****er at 1630GMT. For maps, I’ll be providing a pool of 3 maps; each team gets to veto 1 map, left team vetoes last.

Example schedule (AH, BBQ, {ball}, tv0):
HTML Code:
	Time	Left Team		Right Team	Map Pool
Round 1
	1700	AH		v	{ball}		(Grotto, Planepark, Hardcourt)
	1700	tv0		v	BBQ		(Grotto, Planepark, Hardcourt)
Round 2
	1720	{ball}		v	tv0		(Lostcity, Cave, Funnelpark)
	1720	BBQ		v	AH		(Lostcity, Cave, Funnelpark)
Round 3
	1740	AH		v	tv0		(Cross, Darkwar, Labyrinth)
	1740	BBQ		v	{ball}		(Cross, Darkwar, Labyrinth)
Stage 2 –
Elimination round. Top 4 teams from Stage 1 are entered into a single elimination playoff. Top 4 is determined by who has the highest win %. 2 way ties are broken by head-to-head result. 3 ways ties are broken if someone has beaten both teams or lost to both, otherwise whichever team has scored the most points in the tourney gets through.

1v4 and 2v3 in BO3. Losers of both play in a third place match, BO3. After that, the two winners will play in the final, BO5. If the two teams in the final don’t want the break before the final, they can play the match concurrently with the third place match.

Location: The higher seed is the home/left team and chooses server.

Maps: For BO3(BO5) I’ll give a pool of 5(7) maps. For the first game, each team vetoes 2(3) maps, one at a time, left team vetoes last. After the first game, the loser picks the map.

Maps:

This is the map pool for which I will be using a randomizer to pull from when I actually make the schedule:
Asteroids, Cave, Core, Cross, Darkwar, Funnelpark, Grotto, Hardcourt, Ice, Labyrinth, Lostcity, Mayhem2, Maze, Planepark, Snow

Subs (stolen from Dougie’s awesomely run WABL tourny):

1 sub allowed per game. Teams are allowed to swap the sub position with a current player in the original team of 6 unlimited times during a game. Between games, all 7 team players can be changed. If a team drops to 5 players during a game, good sportsmanship is encouraged for the opposition to drop down to 5 players until the dropped player returns or a substitution is made. During the Group phases, 5 v 5 games are allowed to go ahead. In Stage 2, a team can still play with 5 players, but the opposition has the option of fielding 6 players.

Rosters:
Capped at 12. You MUST post here what your roster will be by 1630GMT on Sunday. I’m giving a lot of room to breathe here since I’m giving you guys short notice. Any person not on your roster is ineligible to play, unless the other team’s captain gives you the OK for that game/match.
Note: Please indicate 1 captain on your roster. I’ve seen quite some confusion in the past with vetoing maps and teams giving the OK to switch servers. Said captain has the final say on all things. This is my way of forcing some semblance of organization on teams.

Note: I understand there are a few things people are sure to bitch at. So I’ll try and address them prematurely. The late notice: sorry I really wanted to post this sooner, but I was only able to verify today that I would be free next Sunday. The American advantage: sorry Euros, unless you have any better ideas I would like to keep it on APL by default for simplicity’s sake.

Please indicate your team’s interest in playing by signing up no later than Saturday 8/20 at 2000GMT. I need to know who is playing to draw up the schedules. You can add your rosters separately, no later than Sunday 8/21 at 1600GMT.

Last edited by Carlos98; 08-21-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:09 AM

Participating Teams:

{arr}
{ball}
AH|
BBQ

Last edited by Carlos98; 08-20-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:12 AM

charsreservedchars
Old 08-15-2011, 04:37 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

i can't imagine phong saying no to people using his server for a tourney. there are the APL5&6 euro servers, but a lot of US players with wireless net have complained about consistent lag spikes there (and on most euro private ball servers)
Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 AM

I like the idea- but have some rules down for vetoing.

SL4 and WABL were plagued by stalling and taking near 10-15 minutes to decide on a map in some cases.

Otherwise I think this would be good timing before apl.

Regarding logistics though: assuming you have all the ball teams enter from SL4 that's 8-9 teams. You're looking at 20 minutes per match which is reasonable.. but that ends up being 2+ hours. On top of that doing a BO3 woudl be another hour (again, basing off of sl4 timings), and then another hour-1.5 hours for teh BO5.

All in all, that's ~4-5 hours of nonstop playtime for the winners. I would expect a lot of unhappy and tired players on that point who just gave up their entire Sunday afternoon for this tournament, and in some cases, one of the few Sunday's left.

Edit:
Just wanted to also state that I predicted and told Andy that the skyleague playoffs to last 5 hours prior to the finals based off of how long the matches during the regular season lasted. Just preempting anybody trying to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but this may be best suited for a 2 weeker with the round robin and then teh finals, but roster cannot be changed.

Last edited by rojo; 08-15-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
i can't imagine phong saying no to people using his server for a tourney.
yeah I'm banking on a yes since everyone whores those servers for everything anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
I like the idea- but have some rules down for vetoing.

SL4 and WABL were plagued by stalling and taking near 10-15 minutes to decide on a map in some cases.
I guess say you have 30 seconds per veto? Both captains are going to have to play by some honor code. Unfortunately I doubt I can get together a group of referees by Sunday.

Quote:
Otherwise I think this would be good timing before apl.
exactly why I picked this date, Pwnd is over and APL hasnt started.

Quote:
Regarding logistics though: assuming you have all the ball teams enter from SL4 that's 8-9 teams. You're looking at 20 minutes per match which is reasonable.. but that ends up being 2+ hours. On top of that doing a BO3 woudl be another hour (again, basing off of sl4 timings), and then another hour-1.5 hours for teh BO5.

All in all, that's ~4-5 hours of nonstop playtime for the winners. I would expect a lot of unhappy and tired players on that point who just gave up their entire Sunday afternoon for this tournament, and in some cases, one of the few Sunday's left.

Edit:
Just wanted to also state that I predicted and told Andy that the skyleague playoffs to last 5 hours prior to the finals based off of how long the matches during the regular season lasted. Just preempting anybody trying to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but this may be best suited for a 2 weeker with the round robin and then teh finals, but roster cannot be changed.
I don't know if 2 weeks would work with APL starting the next. If the teams in the tournament stage wanted to push back the games, I'd be all for it. But I'm planning for trying to get this all in one day. Depending on how many sign up, I'll tweak the layup a bit. If I get 8+ teams, I could probably switch to 2 seperate divisions for the round robin and take the top 2 teams from each division for the elimination stage. Having 8 teams signup would awesome, however this is incredibly short notice to get such large numbers. Even the regulars with full rosters might have trouble, heck AIR had to pull out of SL4.

Last edited by Carlos98; 08-15-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Carlos - may I suggest just getting rid of the veto system as a time limit is fairly hard to enforce. If you set a starting map then no need for veto (and the losing team after that can choose the next map like standard)
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
Carlos - may I suggest just getting rid of the veto system as a time limit is fairly hard to enforce. If you set a starting map then no need for veto (and the losing team after that can choose the next map like standard)
I could do that for the elimination stage, but I see no other way of picking a map for the round robin stage (just one game per match).

If you guys are cool with being assigned a map for each game of the round robin, that would save a bunch of time.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 AM

{ball} is in if this is happening.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Sign BBQ up in this
Old 08-15-2011, 11:57 AM

I guess {arr} will be signing too. Thanks for the invitation Carlos.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to SPeciaL

1 day game? or is it every week?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeciaL View Post
1 day game? or is it every week?
This will be 1 day. It will probably take a good chunk out of your day, so I'd try and make adequate preparations to be playing for multiple hours.

Last edited by Carlos98; 08-15-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:24 PM

Well prepared, Carlos. Good luck with ur tournament
Old 08-17-2011, 12:18 PM

I have an idea for vetos and servers.

I was talking with strz, and we said that to pick the servers where we were going to play, we could do a simple draw (1-2)
Each captaine picks 1 or 2 and who wins can pick the map or the server where the game is going to happen.
To do that, we just need an admin that makes the draw.

Ye, thats what we always do to play capt games, but i think that we could start doing it on tournys
Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 PM

So 3 teams tournament?
Old 08-20-2011, 01:42 PM

So is this even happening? Pull BBQ out of this if atleast 1 more team doesn't sign up.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Same chars chars chars
Old 08-20-2011, 04:02 PM

Yeah I was planning on canceling this if I didn't get at least 4. I'm waiting to hear back from a few maybes.

I'll keep you guys posted (You will know by tonight). Thank you to those who showed interest.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:21 PM

Well, AH is going to give it a shot. I *think* we have enough for the tourney.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blln4lyf View Post
Same chars chars chars
Think I'm going have to drop {ball}. Haven't even posted in ball forum yet to let them know about this cuz I didn't know if it was actually happening.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to SPeciaL

=AIR= is not joining.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:00 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeciaL View Post
=AIR= is not joining.
I lol'd. .
Old 08-21-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blln4lyf View Post
Think I'm going have to drop {ball}. Haven't even posted in ball forum yet to let them know about this cuz I didn't know if it was actually happening.
I appreciate you signing up without knowing if you could participate.

Hearing nothing from the last 2 maybes + {ball} dropping out = Cancelled.

Thanks for everyone's help, constructive-criticism, and interest.
Maybe some other time.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:05 AM

I Tristan Theodore Jimbo, Fattest of All Kids, thank you for your attempt to make a ball clan tourney and believe a similar format later in the year would probably be more successful.