Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 PM

Default bye for a while

homophobia in the game has got me down and today was the final straw.

to those who know me hope to see you round some time in the future =)
to those who don't, =(.

To those with the derogatory comments, real cool guys.

Peace y'all.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:33 PM

Take care. Next time you might want to make use of the mute option in the game.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:36 PM

Well I suppose that means you're not going to play in SL anymore so I'll have to replace you on the roster I guess...
Old 07-22-2009, 06:41 PM

I challenge you to find _one_ place on the internet without fags. I mean it sucks but theres nothing you can do but ignore it and move on. That and liberal use of /mute :P
Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Illegitimi non carborundum
Old 07-22-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBRowkaH View Post
Well I suppose that means you're not going to play in SL anymore so I'll have to replace you on the roster I guess...
i'm taking a week or two week break, i would be grateful if you could keep me on or on the temp off list but i understand if you can't
<3 you were cool in game

Texans, not so much.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth View Post
fags.
Doing it wrong?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth View Post
I challenge you to find _one_ place on the internet without fags.
I hope you see what is horribly wrong about your response?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:48 PM

I would like to take this opportunity to propose (or, more likely support) the creation of a lvl60-only server.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 PM

Default Woo

Offending player was [fLbSS]Texas, who is level 60. So...doubt that would help much with this problem. In terms of being awesome though, it would help.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:22 PM

Everyone is lvl 60 anyways lol.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:23 PM

Oh I meant fags as in trolls :< rofl god. /crawls into a hole
Old 07-22-2009, 07:29 PM

I'm sick of these derogophobes.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 PM

It does getting annoying. Sorry. For me, when I see people making absurd comments—it reminds me: that I am playing a video game over the internet with a bunch of strangers, who, might be children, idiots, men, women, strait, gay, etc...(southern....lol). But somehow, through the text and game-play, people draw assumptions about character, sexuality, and gender which never cease to amaze me. Yesterday for instance, someone was surprised to find out that a player on -HM- was a woman. How could they be surprised, I guess they thought she was a guy—how so (what about an airplane gives someone away)?

How these and other sentiments are generated via text and cartoon airplanes I don't know, but it always make me laugh when someone is called "a fag". Just be thankful for people those sorts of people (lacking social skills, cultural understanding, etc.): the world needs ditch-diggers.

Last edited by Golden Bough; 07-24-2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: mm?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

While it's unfortunate that there is intolerance and hatred in the world, Eth's unintentionally hilarious response has made it all worthwhile.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 PM

Get a thicker skin. It's the internet.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:40 PM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

I will not sit here and read these posts while my pardner Texas is slandered, so I'm going to skip half the thread and just post this anyway.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Offending player was [fLbSS]Texas, who is level 60. So...doubt that would help much with this problem. In terms of being awesome though, it would help.
New solution: reset Texas' level to 1, implement lvl 60 server, ban slip from the game.

edit: on a related note, BC09 will now be holding tryouts.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 AM

Oh give tex a break hes always drunk and/or high and eth is a norweigan cut some slack lol.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bough View Post
It does getting annoying. Sorry. For me, when I see people making absurd comments—it reminds me: that I am playing a video game over the internet with a bunch of strangers, who, might be children, idiots, men, women, strait, gay, etc...(southern....lol). But somehow, through the text and game-play, people draw assumptions about character, sexuality, and gender which never cease to amaze me. Yesterday for instance, someone was surprised to find out that a player on -HM- was a woman. How could they be surprised, I guess they thought she was a guy—how so (what about an airplane gives someone away)?

How these and other sentiments are generated via text and cartoon airplanes I don't know, but it always make me laugh when someone is called "a fag". Just be thankful for people like T**a* (lacking social skills, cultural understanding, etc.): the world needs ditch-diggers.
Well, to be fair, if you assume everyone on altitude is a dude, your percentages are going to be pretty damn good. Also I think anyone who is offended by the derogatory use of words like "fags" or "gay" is going to have just an awful time on the internet, or outside the internet for that matter.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 AM

Great book that explores this very topic. I read it for a course, it was awesome. The theory is that boys call each other gay during high school years to remind themselves, and to define, what a heterosexual/masculine man "is". Self-assurance.

I called other guys fags too when I was in my teens. I grew out of it.

I read this sorta stuff. It's neat.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 PM

I teach A-Levels in the UK - 16-18 y/o's. When people bandy around homophobic terms I just imagine them as immature - either pimply teens playing games to distract themselves from painful, chaffing masturbation; or older gents who suck at relationships and now hate anybody (gay or straight) who gets some regularly.

What pissed me off the most in online gaming was a guy who called himself "TheRapist". I can tolerate 'you've been raped' as it's clear the meaning is not primarily sexual, but the name "TheRapist" was, to me, pretty awful. Enough young people playing online have been abused for it to eventually effect somebody. It's clearly an unpleasant and offensive nick. I told him he was a cock and left that server.

(And if you've seen me calling somebody a cock in Altitude, you might know how verbose and descriptive I can become. Never troll in the mud when you can aim for the stars.)
Old 07-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Don't worry about it, CCN. There are always going to be people out there on starship Earth who just don't have it together, and said beings will sometimes come out of their shells to try and hurt others for various reasons.

Some of them grow up and become successful members of the species (whatever that means ), others never do. It's sad, frustrating, and sometimes infuriating, but this game totally ****ing rocks, and losers who feel the need to make the rest of our lives difficult aren't going to stop me from playing it.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to DubyaCapumWolfeGee Send a message via MSN to DubyaCapumWolfeGee

I read this whole thread.

Hope to see ya soon CCN, just remember; your beautuful, no matter what they say. Words can't bring you down.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:16 PM

I believe "TheRapist" was probably a joke from that SNL celebrity jeopardy thing, of course it is still pretty offensive.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBRowkaH View Post
I believe "TheRapist" was probably a joke from that SNL celebrity jeopardy thing, of course it is still pretty offensive.
People still watch SNL???
Old 07-23-2009, 11:00 PM

Haha, no they don't. It's a joke from a few years ago I believe.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

i honestly can't take video games seriously...
i feel like i lose some self-respect if i do

that's why i dont care what people say in game, or take them seriously
Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilarsenal View Post
i honestly can't take video games seriously...
i feel like i lose some self-respect if i do

that's why i dont care what people say in game, or take them seriously
Agreed. It's almost enjoyable, watching people behave in a completely different way than they would in the real world. The anonymity brings out the worst in people, illuminating what people are capable of.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:28 AM

Interestingly, out of all the games I've played, I think WoW had the most "mature" player base. Some of this might be due to age of players, but also to the importance of networking in the game and the difficulty of smurfing or anything like that. I think there's already a thread about this, but the ease of changing nicknames on Altitude leads to even more anonymity, which can be bad, if you're someone who is offended by online game chat.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Lomil

This is getting me down as well, and is having me consider quitting.

As a gay man, why would I choose to spend time in a hostile environment?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator

Well you can always mute annoying players. My mute list gets larger everyday. Also, you can turn chat off completely in the child safe options. I know that these are less than ideal because why can't people just be respectful. But if you give anyone an anonymous forum this stuff is bound to happen on just about any topic that people can think of. (race, religion, sexual orientation, political party, etc) So just know that in all likelihood it's just kids on the other end thinking they are being funny or trying to make up for lack of self esteem.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomil View Post
This is getting me down as well, and is having me consider quitting.

As a gay man, why would I choose to spend time in a hostile environment?
The OP himself is foolish to begin with. This "hostile environment" you speak of is everywhere on the internet not just this game. Never take anything on the internet seriously, I mean damn half posts in this thread are sarcastic. If someone bothers you there is a mute button. The mute button is a perfectly reasonable answer to shut up anyone who says something that offends you. Quit if you want but don't whine on the forums about it, every online multi player game in existence is the same way. People start playing or stop playing games every day someone tell me why this person deserves his own thread for when he quits.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
The OP himself is foolish to begin with. This "hostile environment" you speak of is everywhere on the internet not just this game. Never take anything on the internet seriously, I mean damn half posts in this thread are sarcastic. If someone bothers you there is a mute button. The mute button is a perfectly reasonable answer to shut up anyone who says something that offends you. Quit if you want but don't whine on the forums about it, every online multi player game in existence is the same way. People start playing or stop playing games every day someone tell me why this person deserves his own thread for when he quits.
I came back to read this thread and this post struck me out.

1. Player base is small and I know lotsa people here I want to give a heads up to. I made a short goodbye not a diatribe. Especially since the player base is small and trying to grow through word of mouth maybe it's a good idea to know of these problems.

2. You are a huge hypocrite. Mute people and start less immediate kick votes and getting upset before calling me oversensitive. I wish you out of my thread, say to "mute you". I don't see much understanding here, I saw more in WoW. I'm sure everyone who knows me has seen this so its served its purpose and can be locked.

Last edited by CCN; 07-24-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
I came back to read this thread and this post struck me out.

1. Player base is small and I know lotsa people here I want to give a heads up to. I made a short goodbye not a diatribe. Especially since the player base is small and trying to grow through word of mouth maybe it's a good idea to know of these problems.

2. You are a huge hypocrite. Mute people and start less immediate kick votes and getting upset before calling me oversensitive.
I screw around I am never serious in a game. I myself actually have no one muted.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
I screw around I am never serious in a game. I myself actually have no one muted.
http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753
more evidence of the direction the player base is going.

But why am I here arguing, have fun.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753
more evidence of the direction the player base is going.
No online game is different whats your point?

edit: not that im saying its a good thing.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that your game experience has been ruined by bigotry. Unfortunately every multiplayer game has to deal with this problem, but we have done our best to provide several solutions.

If you just want to play the game, disable chat altogether: Options -> Account -> Chat Disabled.

To enjoy the social atmosphere but filter out the bad seeds, use mute: hold tab to show the scoreboard, click the offending player's name, select mute from the popup.

For a social atmosphere devoid of troublemakers: start your own server. Give rcon access to your friends and establish a code of conduct. Ban anyone who violates the rules.

We are committed to providing the best possible experience for all players, but it is not possible for us to personally police every server. Anyone with ideas for features to improve the social experience in Altitude should feel free to start a new thread. Thread locked per poster's request.
Closed Thread