Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:43 PM

Default 3rd & Last? Video

I probably won't make another - at least of this variety (I suspect you'll all be sick of watching loopy goals). Unfortunately I don't play much TBD or non-loopy planes (but I do have a very small amount of footage of both), so the next video might be awhile out.

Anyway, thanks for the all the comments / encouragement. Hope you enjoy the 3rd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUSQX5jVAhg

Also, some of you have had questions about how I make the videos. This is really my first attempt at making any videos, so keep in mind I have limited experience.

I use Fraps (free version on highest settings so the videos can be played on 1080 HD) which limits recordings to 30 sec videos. As a result, I'll often start recording when I spawn or otherwise 'sense' some action.

I bind my 'record video' key to something my pinkie can hit so I don't have to move my hand / interfere with game play. It actually takes a bit of practice though and you'll probably botch some passes/goals as a result of introducing a new element to your game.

I can easily record 300 videos in a night - taking about 100GB of space on my HD, so I also bind a 'screenshot' key. That way, after a good play I can take a screenshot (since all files are saved in the folder chronologically, I can find the ones I want to keep WAY easier).

If you chat much, it's probably best not to set record keys to letters as you'll start/stop recordings and take screenshots when you talk.

Finally, I string it all together in Windows Movie Maker (free). I'm sure there are better programs available, even for free. This became especially apparent to me on this last video as I think I was capping out it's performance limits (or my computers). It kept breaking/corrupting the video whenever I made changes. To avoid this I had to save and reopen the project after every few changes (ugh). I didn't run into this with my previous videos though, so 10 minutes of video on 'max quality' seems to be the break-point.

Anyway, hope that helps and hope to see more videos from the community emerge as a result!

ggs!

Last edited by Solikos; 01-17-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:49 PM

Well done. Enjoyed watching them.