Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:19 AM

Default Ball_Race_YoshiDesert

Ball_Race_YoshiDesert

http://s000.tinyupload.com/download....53052921717836
Filesize: 1.587 MB

Third race map in my Mario Kart series. Not sure why the filesize is so much larger than the rest, I created them all in the same way.

3 laps, no weapons
Old 01-21-2016, 02:11 AM

I added the checkpoints and uploaded to Map QA. Let me know when you are OK with the map, and I will move it to Team+ and ARC servers

https://github.com/biell/alti-maps/r...shidesert.altx
Old 01-21-2016, 11:26 AM

Looks nice! Good work oyster, i wish you'll make more of this mario series maps!! Tomorrow ill try it but from what i see, should be a very difficult map.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:12 PM

A great map as usual Oyster.

I'm not sure where to put this comment so I'll just put it here. Could the person in charge of setting up the leaderboards make it so that the same persons name does not show up on the leaderboard multiple times? Seems rather irrelevant to have the same guy take up multiple spots. Just show his best time.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post

I'm not sure where to put this comment so I'll just put it here. Could the person in charge of setting up the leaderboards make it so that the same persons name does not show up on the leaderboard multiple times? Seems rather irrelevant to have the same guy take up multiple spots. Just show his best time.
I think the servers use biell's Altitude+, so here might be the best place ^^
Old 01-21-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
But shouldn't the top 5 times listed be the actual top 5 times logged? So you know you got the 4th best time on a map, not thinking you got the 2nd best time because Moon has the top 3 times.

I can see it going both ways, but to me it'd be more satisfying knowing exactly where you rank (i.e. "Hey, I made the top 5 and displaced Moon's monopoly of all top 5 slots!")
===================
edit: Biell could use your idea in addition to the top 5 times. Under the same server message, it could say something like "Top Times" as well as "Top Players" (with fastest time by each player listed)
Old 01-21-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:

That is a good suggestion, and completely understand why people would like that. But, I am not going to implment it for 2 reasons:

1. I don't use a real backend (I am working on it, but slowly), so I don't keep record of nicks and vaporIDs. What I put into that string is the nickname you were using at the time you won. So, I currently can't perfectly accomplish what you want.

2. When I was a kid and went to the beach on vacation, I made it my mission to own the leader board for the local Pole Position before I left. And, I think that is how it should be if you can consistently win, you deserver all the spots. Conversely, if I get second, I want to really be second. Not 18th, behind 17 awsome Moon runs.

I have always wanted to make it easy for people to start their own Alti+ server. Right now, if you have a working Altitude server and don't have your own server wrapper, it is 3 easy steps away from becoming an Alti+ server. And, I really want to keep it that way. Because, I would like to see other Alti+ servers out there.

So, I am trying to figure out how I can implement a database in an optional fashion. People who want the extra options get them, and those who don't want the headache of managing a database don't have to. Once I reconcile these objectives, I will consider adding something akin to Kafka's suggestion of supporting both. But, at the very least, I need to start tracking vapor ID's first.

PS. You should be proud that you own the leader board on some maps. Nothing against the other racers, but I am hoping that you and Jonus both make it to the final race, because I would love to see the two of you go head-to-head.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:17 AM

I see... nohing I can disagree with.

Anoher question... Do you foresee the leaderboards on Map QA or ARC servers being wiped at any point? If so which leaderbaords will be the most stable looking into the future?

On the actual note of YoshiDesert. I have real trouble figuring out which route is faster here if any.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:03 PM

During my tests, I roughly timed each route. In both instances where the paths go around the two bodies of water, I got close-to-identical times. Just depends on what you feel more comfortable with.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:20 PM

MapQA is a testing server (QA = Quality Assurance). This map will be removed from Map QA to make room for testing other maps.

ARC servers are for the Altitude Race Championship and records are disabled on 2 and 3. Records were only instituted on ARC 1 so I could figure out how many laps were necessary to ensure races in ARC took more than 2 minutes. After ARC is fiished, I will take these servers down to save money. If ARC is a success and another racing championship is played, I will boot them back up in support of that championship.

Team+ is my production Altitude+ server. The records are stable, and will not be removed. If Racing ever gets so big that I need to seperate the races maps from Team+ (and create a Race+ server), then all records will be moved over. Any records you get on Team+ will probably last as long as Altitude does.

I hope this helps.