Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:35 PM

Default tbd_hop_bowsers3

Introducing... tbd_hop maps! This is the first, but I like the idea and I think I'll continue with it. Competitive coop/single-player is something I've thought about-- the idea that teams / individuals are separated and faced with identical challenges, eventually leading to a base going boom-- in this case by way of a tough minehop. So there are more ideas there.... for another day!

This map started off as ball_bowserscastle3, so thanks to whoever made that.

There are three ways I know of to bomb the base, with one of them being an easter egg. :-) I'm counting the pipe and the "mail slot" above it as one. I'll give you a jelly bean if you find another. Good luck!

Any and all feedback is appreciated. My first map!!

I'm especially wondering if I should change anything about the turrets. What's the best configuration for an unpassable turret? Also is there some fancy way of preventing emp of a turret that I'm not thinking of? Something besides a transparent block that you could fly into.

This isn't on a server yet, but feel free to put it on one *cough* biell

https://github.com/NoahYarian/alti-m..._bowsers3.altx

Enjoy! Noah
Old 02-06-2016, 04:33 PM

It is up for testing on Map QA. A few notes:

This is an interesting concept. Good idea putting "hop" in the name, someone expecting a normal TBD would be very upset by this.

It might be good to try allowing planes to wrap through the bottom tubes, I don't think you could make it up to the top with a bomb, but you might disrupt things a little.

The turrets in the middle are emp-able. you can get in the first one, and emp the middle of the 3, then another loopy can go down there and emp all 3. They can slide to the side to stop emp-ing all three, and act as a gate for only their team. You may want to put turrets on the walls of those tubes, so they kill a loopy who tries to hover and emp them.

You can also emp the turret by the base and act as a human shield. a second turret would make that harder.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:03 PM

Awesome, thank you for checking it out and for putting it up.

I'm on board with everything you've said. I think opening up the bottom makes sense for the look of the map, and I think you're right about people not making it to the base anyways. Right now it's just a silly bouncy trap.. it would also make it so the map can be finished by people who can't hop or don't have remote. One concern is what bots will do... I think they'll ignore it and keep making a beeline through the turrets, but I'll see.

Yep, that's the way people can get through. That said it would take coordination, but unless I make it even harder, like by adding matching turrets on top and maybe diagonal ones too, a good team of 4 or 5 people could wreck the base in under a minute. I may put some bowsers and blocks on either side of the pipes... couldn't get it to look right before but I can change the ground tiles.

You're right about needing another turret by the base, particularly because that's where the easter egg is. Those top side walls by the bases have collision disabled, so you can actually hop in the other direction and go over your base , your turret, their turret, and hit their base. It's pretty tough but I don't know if it's as tough to get a direct hit as through the pipe. Something to consider... I may scrap that.

another idea about the map submission-- what about using git to pull map updates from repos when the server starts? No need to answer that... I need to look at your docs to see what you're doing now before i keep talking about it. Looking briefly i see you can upload maps using curl. Cool.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:29 AM

I think you need to add a lot more turrets, or close the secret passage at the top. It is way too easy for 4 loopies to end the game in seconds.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:57 PM

Yeah it was failing pretty hard in some areas... I've added a few turrets in the pipes.. but not so many that I couldn't imagine a well-executed loopy shuffle succeeding. I made the mail slots slightly bigger, made the walls solid, opened the pipe up, and changed the Bowser turrets to be for the appropriate team in order to prevent FF base damage.

Now that the bottom is open I'm tempted to put a normal team turret or two or three along that route so you can't just sneak in the back door right off the bat. That or maybe add a turret above the base that would need an emp or snazzy warp skills to get past. I'll see how it works without. The path to the base is indeed already pretty fraught with peril, so it may be good as is.

updated - https://github.com/NoahYarian/alti-m..._bowsers3.altx

Last edited by Capitalistocrat; 02-07-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: edit: repo updated
Old 02-08-2016, 01:34 AM

We found this map... and killed our own base with the turrets?? :O
Old 02-10-2016, 06:10 AM

Ah,yeah. I've now disabled that ..feature.