Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:42 PM

Default Ball_Altitude

Ball_Altitude (Currently hosted on biell's Map QA server)

Download Link
File size .431
----UPDATED (6/14/16)----

File size: .428 MB
Map dimensions: 3500x1275

-----Original OP--------

Still tweeking this so no download yet, but I figured I'd share for feedback before I polish it.
I used original Altitude artwork that I've been collecting for a while now and remixed it into this map.
All of the objects come from photoshopped cuts of that catchy logo that we see every time we boot up the game, so they feel very natural and easy to predict when you are flying around.
You'll notice teams share a color with an object in the middle of the map. These planes have little turrets inside them that shoot at the opposing team as they fly by. Don't worry, its just for fun - they don't actually harm you.
There are ample opportunities here for bounce passes and shots. Also, the < configuration in front of the goal acts as a near-perfect guide for offscreen shots. It felt very satisfying to shoot through this gap and score a goal
Overall, I predict games will be very skill-based, action-packed and fast paced, which I think is a fresh change from the current map meta.
I expect to finish this within a day or two, so be on the lookout for a download soon.
Comments/suggestions always welcome ^^ thanks!

Last edited by Oyster; 06-15-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:27 AM

Nice use of the Altitude resources! I will have to try this sometime.

Last edited by Mango777; 05-25-2016 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:57 AM

This is sexy

Any item spawns?
Old 05-25-2016, 05:13 AM

Wow nice job. It looks amazing! I'd have to test it but it looks like it could be a very popular map Although I'm not sure how the turrets will work for ball, even though they do no damage; It could be distracting. So might have to remove them for ladder if it was to ever end up on ladder.

Last edited by Brutal; 05-25-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:16 AM

Thanks guys!

I've updated this and uploaded it to Map QA for testing.

First of all, I polished all the artwork and gave everything a consistent outline

Second, the biggest feedback I got from limited testing was that the map was too big to be a viable ladder map, so I condensed it as much as I could without compromising the integrity.

Third, I redrew all the luons by hand to make the collision borders fit the new outlines.

Fourth, I added a kill zone behind the goals for people trying to cheat through the back wall.

Fifth, I added a little bit of damage to the turrets (15 to be exact). It's just barely enough to be noticeable, but enough to kill you if you are a few hitpoints away from death. Originally, the turrets were only cosmetic, but most of the people who helped test wanted me to add a little damage to them AND I GIVE THE PPL WHAT THEY WANT!

Sixth, added weapons to the bottom middle and the top and bottom corners

(Download link in OP, Map currently hosted on Map QA)

Last edited by Oyster; 05-26-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:14 PM

I think maybe that tiny lane in front of the goal could be opened up a little. As-is it is not really possible to carry the ball through there and even trying to throw it through towards the goal is a bit difficult since the opening is so small. The defense has a big advantage because they can very easily circle and spam the opening. But it is not really possible for offense to shoot through there, except bombers, due to lack of angle and no protection from spawn area.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:01 AM

Had a chance to play this earlier with some of you.
The middle part with the planes was cool in theory, but it created a lot of garbage bounces which goes against the intended aura of this map.
I replaced the center with a symmetrical column formation that should help the ball flow and also provide interesting angles.
Also generally rearranged everything to cope for the extra space I got from deleting the middle.
I also opened up the shot alley in front of the goal a little bit like you suggested van and moved the goal off the back wall.

The biggest problem I felt was that it was too defensive-oriented, so I opened things up a bit to reduce effectiveness of turtling explodets. Combined with moving the goals off the wall and streamlining the center, I think this should play much quicker and better now.

Download link in OP

(For those who are sad about losing the planes in the center, I moved their shadows to the bottom of the map so they would at least live on in spirit)

Last edited by Oyster; 06-15-2016 at 08:26 AM.