Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:56 AM

Default ball_coop_jack

This is my first Alti+ enhanced coop map. It uses Alti+'s door/keys mechanism. There are 6 keys at the end of runs which utilize different coop skills. After all 6 are collected, the door to the right of spawn is opened and you can get the ball. The ball must be thrown down the shaft, or else it won't make it and you will have to respawn.

It isn't the hardest version of each skill, but it isn't easy either. Like the name suggests: Jack of all trades, master of none.

I hope you like it. All criticism welcome to make it better.

It is currently on Map QA for testing. Will be moved to Coop+ once it is fully tested.

Link (this map requires an alti+server to funciton properly):
https://github.com/biell/alti-maps/r...coop_jack.altx

Screenshot:

Last edited by biell; 05-31-2016 at 04:18 AM. Reason: list server
Old 05-31-2016, 03:24 AM

I really like the map and look forward to more of this type (if you're interested in making more). I'm guessing you got the door to work since we tested it earlier...

Quick question... why are there two shafts on the right side? Is the one on the left supposed to be a false chute?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
I really like the map and look forward to more of this type (if you're interested in making more). I'm guessing you got the door to work since we tested it earlier...
Yes, it was a minor fix in the code, and then I also had a typo in the plus.txt configuration file for one of the teleports.

Quote:
Quick question... why are there two shafts on the right side? Is the one on the left supposed to be a false chute?
I tried to make it like a viewing station (walls are 0 damage for you to sit), so you could watch the ball go into the goal, and see how close it was to being "lost".
Old 05-31-2016, 04:42 AM

Was pretty fun the time I played. Good job!
Old 05-31-2016, 06:33 PM

Tested it today with 19 cm and Mavis. 19 and I were able to go through the missle section with two loopies and shields. I wasn't able to destroy the far left turrets with an explodet. I just finished solo-ing the map (only died 25 times lol) and realized my whale missiles weren't even reaching the turrets and that you have to get closer to be able to destroy them.

Two things:
  1. In the 'rush' section, maybe increase the health of the turrets. Right now, it's too easy to just destroy the turrets rather than emp/rush your way through.
  2. The left chute currently does not have bouncy/harmless walls for viewing the shot, as you stated was the purpose.

Other than that, it's a great map. I look forward to playing this in a full server and setting the record.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Tested it today with 19 cm and Mavis. 19 and I were able to go through the missle section with two loopies and shields. I wasn't able to destroy the far left turrets with an explodet. I just finished solo-ing the map (only died 25 times lol) and realized my whale missiles weren't even reaching the turrets and that you have to get closer to be able to destroy them.
I increased the blast damage and radius, you should be dead long before you get within EMP range now. I added a line for when your missles can make it to their target. The turret range is longer than your missle range, be aware. I have "Show XP Log" enabled for coop, so I wasn't thinking about that.

Quote:
Two things:
  1. In the 'rush' section, maybe increase the health of the turrets. Right now, it's too easy to just destroy the turrets rather than emp/rush your way through.
Agreed, I tripled the health.

Quote:
  1. The left chute currently does not have bouncy/harmless walls for viewing the shot, as you stated was the purpose.
Oops, I put the glass window on the Game view by accident. It is on the correct view now.

Quote:
Other than that, it's a great map. I look forward to playing this in a full server and setting the record.
Thank you, and thanks for helping me make it better.

I realized that I didn't have a mine hop skill. I put one in near the ball, I think this will work pretty well. There wasn't really anywhere else it could go without major reworking of the map. Screenshot is updated in OP.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:11 AM

Would love to try this out!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:36 AM

Looks nice, will play soon! Now dress it up a little ^^
Glad to see you implement the key idea

Okay tested out the 'Destroy' section. Was pretty easy to just roll through with a bomber. Some of the earlier turrets didn't fire on me at all. That circle shape lined with weak turrets made me laugh because I had rushed it and was expecting to die. Instead I cruised right through untouched. Also, in the key room I just skipped firing on the turrets and went straight for the key. Was able to dive it without after a few tries.

Look forward to the other sections when I have more time ^^

Last edited by Oyster; 06-02-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:17 AM

Thanks for suggestions. I moved the key for Destroy to the left to make it so you have to destroy a few more turrets before rushing in. I made the circle a little harder. I actually did expect you to rush it, that is why there is a shield before, and a health after. Part of a getting a record on a destruction oriented map is knowing when to stop and destroy, and when to pass a turret.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:43 PM

Can you add something that tells you when a particular section is done?

I joined the server mid-map and nobody would let me know which sections were done, so I wasn't going to waste my time doing sections that were already done.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:17 AM

I would have thought that you wouldn't see powerups which have already been collected, but
that doesn't seem to be the case. I am not sure why. It has to be a bug, I tried lowerig the spawn time to 3600 and it still happens.

I will also see about updating the "/list doors" output to help. It would be a big change to the code to add a name to each key, but I will also look into that.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:21 AM

Hey biell, I put in about 3 hours on the reskin and I can tell its going to take forever to do it how I would like. I feel like I may be holding up an update, so I'd say go ahead and do your thing while I plan out my end a little better.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:54 AM

The map is updated (screenshot and download link in OP are updated). Now:

1.Rush is a little harder,
2. Missle is a little more interesting,
3. Destroy has new turrets, but the ones at the end die easier,
4. Power Up has a couple new wrinkles,
5. Hop is easier to hop, but harder to rush, and
6. it is harder to emp your way through the end and not throw the ball.

In addition, I have updated my server code. Now, each key has a name (Missle, Rush, etc.) When you capture the key, the server tells everyone by name which key was found. Also, when you join, you are told which keys, by name, have been found. Additionally, if you run "/list doors", it will tell you the names of the keys, and any found keys will be surrounded by perentesis "()". These changes are true for all Alti+ maps which use keys for either doors or zones, and not specific to this map.

This map now has the dubious honor of hitting the 255 turret limit.

I hope this makes it a little more fun. I don't think these changes are sufficient to require deleting the records which have already been set. I am going to check back in a week, and if nobody cracks the top 5, I will pad the existing records based on the fastest time of the week. The current record is 12 minutes, and I think this map, as it is now, can be done in under 10 minutes.

Last edited by biell; 06-19-2016 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:15 PM

I'm still trying for the sub 10 solo (current PB is 10:50 or something) for now, here's Powerup in 01:49.4.
I'd guess you can get it down by at least another 10 seconds, maybe a lot more if there are skips I haven't found yet ^^

wrt a non-solo record: my guess is under three minutes, with 6 people who know their routes and no mistakes. I'm almost tempted to make some sort of altitude TAS setup to test this :3

Last edited by LewisH; 07-06-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:02 PM

Very nice. You found the skips I intended, and 2 I didn't.

I tought you would need to kill the turret next to the 2 nukes, gj on finding that one. I also simply never tought about emp'ing the 3 turrets in the gully, gj there too.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:30 PM

Found a rev-rubber-randa skip in control: https://youtu.be/RzeGE6N7J3o. It saves about 15 seconds, it looks like it could be fixed by moving the vertex I start at further down, so you die before you get to the key. I'm looking into a powerup skip too, but I'm not sure it's possible, if it is, it's much more difficult than this one ^^
Old 07-08-2016, 01:52 AM

Wow, I can't beleive you made it through that crack. I didn't put that there, it is created by the map_editor when it breaks up the big objects. Normally on coop, I put inner walls with a damage factor of 10 to keep that from happening. I missed that one. I have added it now and uploaded a new version of the map.

I wasn't originally going to mess with your other skips, but since I had to make this change. I think I made them harder, but not impossible. The "ice" section of powerup was supposed to be like tbd_coop_the_tunnel, but that wasn't necessary here. I had fixed it but never uploaded the change. I have included that here.

Thank you for all your help on this map.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:06 AM

Last time I played through the map, I had a thought. How about a 'Lure' section? I imagine it would require two players in the section for my idea to work. One player lures a turret (must hold steady or else the turret stops firing at that player) while the other player emps/kills that turret.

There could be spots that could be done solo, like a player having to lure a turret to kill another turret.

I know you probably want to keep this so each section can be done solo, and it may be too late to make any major changes. Just an idea.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:02 PM

Not quite sub 10, but I think this is the best I'll get for now: coop_jack Solo Speedrun 10:09.4.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:26 AM

Did you do something to the rets at the very end where you shoot the ball? I was able to fly straight through them without being harmed
Old 07-21-2016, 01:32 AM

No, I didn't. You shouldn't be able to, the damage and damage radius are set pretty high. Hopefully I don't have to make any more changes, but if I do, then I will increase the damage of those turrets. I don't think that this issue is worth making another change by itself. I would prefer not to change the map, unless there is a major issue.

Flying through is a risky proposition, unless you have a foolproof way to make it. Because, if you do die, then the ball won't be going fast enough to make it to the goal in time.