Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:45 AM

Default ball_shatter

ball_shatter by Mango777

Altitude Maps Download
0.283 MB
Playable in Map QA

A small ball map. Have fun flying around! A hexagon is in the middle.

Last edited by Mango777; 07-03-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: I updated the picture.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:33 PM

Tip for screenshots: If you uncheck the box in the map_editor for "Collision Outline" before generating the screenshot, they will not be visible in the screenshot. In some cases you want the collision lines outlined, but inthis case, I think the screenshot would look better without them.

Neat idea, I think the static stars "appear" to move a little too fast in the background. It is correct for the storry, you are playing in space, and the stars are so far away that they don't move. But, if they did move a little, they might actually "appear" to be moving slower in the middle cutouts. I wouldn't care as much, but you can't turn it off with "/para false". Another possibility would be to create an edge border of some sort on the Game view. Then, people could use "/para false".
Old 07-03-2016, 05:30 PM

Haha, I didn't want people to use para false when I made this, so I did not put any outlines on game view. If enough people don't like it, I can fix it, but it doesn't seem to be adversely affecting gameplay. I've played this with some people a few times, and they all flew fine, even if they did complain to me too.

Quote:
But, if they did move a little, they might actually "appear" to be moving slower in the middle cutouts.
What did you mean by that? Why would the stars move slower if they moved a bit? :/
Old 07-03-2016, 08:31 PM

I realize that it sounds counterintuitive. But, when the cutouts slide over the stars, it feels like the stars are moving, not the cutout.

The way you have it, the stars are fixed. You could have also accomplished this with a 1280x720 Background view with min values of 0,0 and max values of 3200,1440.

I suggest a Background view size of 1920x1080. Resize the stars image to encompass the full 1920x1080 resolution. Then, set min values to 0,0 and max values to 3200,1440. Here, the feel of the stars moving as the cutouts slide past will be cut in half.

I tried it, and it felt much better.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:09 AM

I'm sorry, I don't know what you are trying to evoke (is that the word?) here. I tried your suggestion, but now it feels like the stars are nearby, and the obstacles are merely holes...
Old 07-04-2016, 01:33 AM

I think my suggestions just don't work for what you are trying to do. It was my impression that the obstacles were, in fact, holes in the playable area. And, that you couln't run into them. That, when you looked through the holes, you saw the vastness of space behind you. I was hoping that we could keep that effect, without drawing so much attention to the holes. It might just be the difference between two people. When I play it, the holes grab my attention and distract me from the the game play. I think others may have the same issue.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:25 AM

Ah, that could be it. My concept was to make a map with these obstacles, which showed a different location. The premise was that the little hexagon in the middle "shattered" the map, allowing the starlight to go through or something. Kind of like those cheesy science fiction stories where someone rips apart reality. You are right, I am kind of trying to distract the players, but I think it is a pretty distraction Besides, no one seems to be facing any difficulties to flying and playing ball in this map. If enough people request it, I will make para false playable.
Just a question, what do you think of my hexagon?
Old 07-04-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango777 View Post
Just a question, what do you think of my hexagon?
I think it is there so you can easily get bars, I wasn't sure of it's purpose otherwise.