Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:32 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg
Default hi hello how are you i have some thots

i've given up on trying to make larger changes to ladder as a whole and have mostly been inactive, but i still like to get on every now and again to see ur beautiful faces. that being said, there's a couple small things i'd like to bring attention to. i'll start small and work my way up:

1. site glitch:

when you're looking at any of the stats pages for season 5 and click on the "Season 5" under "You are here: ... etc ...", you get redirected to this:

where your only options are to click on various stats for season 4. seems like a very minor thing to fix, but then again i have slightly above minimal website knowledge so who knows.

2. "the voting command feels like i'm at the polls and there's an auctioneer shouting the candidates at me"

Code:
[17:59] [Team] t3c.leggo: that is the most annoying
[17:59] [Team] t3c.leggo: voting system
[17:59] [Team] t3c.leggo: ever
[17:59] [Team] Poison: ikr
[17:59] [Team] t3c.leggo: the vote only stays for like 6 seconds and there's a 3 line long message every 2 secs
[17:59] [Team] c: void: wack
[17:59] [Server] VOTE: Move
[17:59] [Server] Mode: TBD  Server: USE
[17:59] [Server] By: Poison
[17:59] [Server] Type /Y or /N to vote.
[17:59] [Team] Poison: ikr
[17:59] /y
[17:59] [Server] Vote saved.
[17:59] [Server] Vote in progress - Specs move to USE TBD server to start a new game.
[17:59] [Server] Current Results: Yes - 2, No - 0 (Need 8 yes votes)
[18:00] [Server] Vote in progress - Specs move to USE TBD server to start a new game.
[18:00] [Server] Current Results: Yes - 2, No - 0 (Need 8 yes votes)
[18:00] [Team] c: void: there
[18:00] [Team] Poison: only need 8
[18:00] [Server] Vote in progress - Specs move to USE TBD server to start a new game.
[18:00] [Server] Current Results: Yes - 2, No - 0 (Need 8 yes votes)
[18:00] [Team] Poison: votes
[18:00] [Team] c: void: s no time to really consider what to vote
[18:00] [Server] Move vote failed with 2 yes votes (needed 8 votes).
[18:00] [Team] t3c.leggo: ye exatly
[18:00] [Team] t3c.leggo: esp if ur trying to read how many people are voting for what
[18:00] [Team] t3c.leggo: and voting based off of that
[18:00] [Team] Poison: yeah
[18:00] [Team] c: void: ye
[18:00] [Team] Poison: its so spammy
[18:00] [Team] t3c.leggo: it's like if you were at the polls and an auctioneer was yelling the list of candidates at you
[18:01] [Team] Poison: lmao so tru
[18:01] [Team] c: void: p much
that's pretty much my whole argument. the vote doesn't stay up long, which forces you to make a quick decision. there's hardly any time to read what the vote is before trying to type '/y'. also, while the messages updating you about the current vote status are nice, they feel too spammy.

3. let's talk ACE.tyr's
sorry, tiers*
so the whole tier thing is kinda cool, yeah. but, imo it kinda screws up the way we see rankings on the ladder website. there are people in the silver tier ranked higher than almost half of the gold tier. what i would love to see would be an overall ranking that lists all the players with an emblem or different colored text or w/e showing what tier they're in. e.g:

1. t3c.leggo
2. woofy
3. Brutal
4. Badgerito
5. power brangers
etc. etc.

also if we could filter out people who've played less than ~50? games, that should help too.

4. the big kahuna that i honestly don't see being implemented anytime soon

remember on the old ladder website where we had stat pages for all the players? yeah that was great wasn't it? if we could bring back even the most basic form of this, i'd be happy. the recent trend graph was one of my favorites. that's all the explanation i'm doing on this one bc even though it's a relatively simple idea, i know it's a bigger project so i just wanted to throw the idea up in the air and let someone else catch it.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:41 PM

I agree 100% with the voting, it should just bring up a vote and have the vote last 10 seconds. And at the 5 second mark show the percentages and what kind of vote was started. That would be a tad less spammy.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 PM

uncanny
Old 08-03-2016, 06:17 PM

you should learn to write
Old 08-03-2016, 07:13 PM

Fixed 1 as that is supposed to redirect to the main ranked page.

Votes (move at least) needs to be spammy to get players attention. It passes more now that it posts the vote a few times. Move votes actually last quite awhile, so can't imagine you are talking about that vote being short? Starting ladder, changemap, and start/stop tourny are short since usually they don't require much thought. If people want the vote to start ladder be a few seconds longer I can extend it.

Personally I really don't like having a combined leaderboard because I want them to feel like separate groups or players. If several more people ask for it I guess I will do it anyway. There isn't that much overlap imo, but this is the first tier season and we have some players who probably just aren't in the right tier. A small number will likely be moved manually, mostly down, and those at the top of silver and bronze tiers will move up next season. So there shouldn't be much overlap next season.

If I were to filter out players who have played less than a certain number of games it would be a much smaller number, probably 10.

There is not really any reason to post suggestions for the website unless what is being requested was not part of nobo's ladder website. All of the features there will return, but I need to find find time to do so. Unfortunately the website tends to get neglected in favor of in-game features even though I'd much rather be working on the website. But I need to get things done like a warning system, improved spec chat, etc and think other things like getting additional game modes working and having ladder-like pub servers is more beneficial to Altitude than having more player data on the website.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN1SH1NG View Post
Personally I really don't like having a combined leaderboard because I want them to feel like separate groups or players. If several more people ask for it I guess I will do it anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slender View Post
Group all tiers into a global ranking list. It'd be good to compare how top ranks from each tier compare to the rest in a global ranking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winters Ark View Post
What I think Slender was getting at, and what I would like, is a page that shows everyone, their tier, and all the other stuff that's already shown. Then you can have a filter at the top to only show the tiers you want to see.
We already asked for this in mid June.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:31 PM

Yes, I know a few people have asked for it already. If others really want this speak up.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know a few people have asked for it already. If others really want this speak up.
An all in one player list? I personally think it should be that way, but it's likely to trigger a lot more conversation in regards to the tier system, even though it's that way anyway.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Fixed 1 as that is supposed to redirect to the main ranked page.
thx

Quote:
Votes (move at least) needs to be spammy to get players attention. It passes more now that it posts the vote a few times. Move votes actually last quite awhile, so can't imagine you are talking about that vote being short? Starting ladder, changemap, and start/stop tourny are short since usually they don't require much thought. If people want the vote to start ladder be a few seconds longer I can extend it.
no i'm talking about the vote move. all that white text being spammed back to back is hard to look at. my personal suggestion would be to lengthen the time it takes for a vote to go through by a few more seconds and then keep the same number of messages. or, another option would be to take out one of the messages and keep the same time it takes for a vote to go through. sure we need a little nudge to get the vote to go through, but we don't need rapid fire messaging.

Quote:
Personally I really don't like having a combined leaderboard because I want them to feel like separate groups or players. If several more people ask for it I guess I will do it anyway. There isn't that much overlap imo, but this is the first tier season and we have some players who probably just aren't in the right tier. A small number will likely be moved manually, mostly down, and those at the top of silver and bronze tiers will move up next season. So there shouldn't be much overlap next season.

If I were to filter out players who have played less than a certain number of games it would be a much smaller number, probably 10.
the thing is, though, that they're really not separate groups of players. we don't have a player base the size of LoL to where we can have legitimate separate tiers of players. that's just not the sort of community that we have. in my opinion, with the community that we're given, tiers can be used for two things: to make the people in bronze feel better and to make the people in gold a little happier every now and then. essentially, the people in bronze are being given a participation ribbon. sort of like "hey good job you're ranked 30th in your tier, be proud of yourself! even though that's actually an overall ranking of about 200". at the same time, you can make the people in gold happier by occasionally hosting some sort of event or day in ladder that's only open to gold or gold and silver tiers. then, they don't have to play with the garbage time players. yay elitism.

the reason i want an overall ranking is because i want to know where i stack up in the community as a whole. and, while the tiers mostly do that, it's not always right.

with regards to filtering out players based on games played, 10 is too little imo. as a minimum, i would filter out players who have played less than 25 games. that should be a reasonable enough time to where you're at least in or approaching the general region of your true rating. and honestly, it could be something like a button at the top of the page that says "filter out players with less than 25 games played".
Old 08-09-2016, 06:59 PM

Old 08-13-2016, 12:05 AM

Old 08-18-2016, 03:47 AM