Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:21 PM

Default tbd_kessler

Ball_Kessler

Download .493MB
Currently playable on server: Map QA

----------------original post----------------

Whats up yall,
I found some new assets that were perfect for altitude, so I had to make something with them.
Since I've been seeing more tbd games lately, I decided to go that route instead of the standard ball map.
As you probably can tell, I drew heavy inspiration from tbd_asteroids.
The outlines around the edges of the map were done by hand and a killzone is on the back wall so you can't warp to the other side.
I know the stars look bad in the collapsed screenshot above, but in game they are actually very dull and far less numerous.

Here is the turret coverage:

The name comes from NASA scientist Donald J. Kessler.
In 1978, Kessler presented a scenario in which the density of objects in low Earth orbit is high enough that collisions between objects could cause a cascade—each collision generating space debris that increases the likelihood of further collisions. One implication is that the distribution of debris in orbit could render space activities and the use of satellites in specific orbital ranges unfeasible for many generations.

I'd like to eventually see this on ladder, so let me know if you guys have any comments or suggestions! Thank you.

Last edited by Oyster; 09-02-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:29 PM

I think it is nice, it is really hard to walk the line between visually stimulating while still not being distracting when it comes to twinkling starts. You nailed it! Congratulations. The rocks look better on the screen, in game, than this screenshot suggests.

That being said, there are a few issues I see:

1. It is very nearly symmetrical. Which is to say that it is not perfectly symmetrical. I think this will be a barrier to ladder. The level of symmetry is just fine for the pubs, Tadow, et al. But, I think APL and ladder won't accept maps which aren't perfectly symmetric (which I personally agree with even though I like non-symmetric maps in the pubs). In this map, it could affect the outcome too; bomber spamming and whale hopping I believe edge to red over blue.

2. It is very, very easy to whale/remote hop on this map, as if it was specifically designed for that. Some people will love that aspect of it, personally I don't. I'm not that good at it, and I hit on my 2nd, 5th, and 6th tries. I could see some players able to hit with a 90% ratio. The location of the base, and the rocks in front of it can be used to almost perfectly line up your remote mine every time. I can invariably see a whale bomb camping and lobbing them over one after another, that completely changes the game (for me, in a negative way). All of the team push strategy fades away, and the game becomes TDM with the occasional sacrificial death to protect the base.

3. The over pass ends so close to the base that all you have to do is make the turn and let the bomb drop. I think it should be a little harder than that. Maybe have the ledge extend two more rocks into the center, then you should be good.

I think that all of these issues can be fixed relatively easily, if you desire to. Another great job on a map.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:50 AM

Hey thanks for the advice
I addressed all three problems you mentioned.

1) I tweaked some stuff to make the map 99.9999% semetrical. The things that are different will not impact gameplay.
I had to make a few artistic concessions on some stuff that was different on each side, but now it should be perfectly balanced.
2) I shifted the small middle obstructions so they will block a minehop from home court. It's definitely still possible to hit from distance, but it's much much harder now and you don't have a shot from a safe position unless you thread some needles.
3) I added a few more objects to the wraparound top and made both sides symmetrical. Should add a few more crucial seconds to that route and prevent being able to hit the base immediately after turning the corner.

download link in OP reflects current download. The new version is also available for play on Map QA (thanks again biell!) I took the screenshot without the background so you can see the stuff better

Last edited by Oyster; 08-30-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:31 AM

Hey Oyster, I like the look of this a lot, nice man!

I think I may have played a version of this on some server and I found the stars made the map unplayable, I don't want to be drawn into an epileptic fit when I play video games ;P
Old 08-30-2016, 06:54 PM

Hey thanks for the comment!

If the stars are sending you into epileptic shock then you must have seen the first vision I uploaded.
At the time, I didn't realize para false was on in the map editor and I had no clue what it looked like, haha.
Since then, I've increased the stars transparency by a ton and now they just kind of fade into the background unnoticed.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:32 AM

Okay, I've given the map its third and final edit after a few days of testing with some kind fellows on Map QA.

1) I extended the back wall kill zone through the asteroids along the top wraparound border so you can't wiggle through with rev/rubber. Now you will die instead.

2) Adjusted one of the turrets near the base so it covers the top lane better.

3) Added my signature Can you find it?

4) Corrected some space debris that was slightly out of place and recolored 3-4 objects

The download in OP reflects the most current version. Also, the most recent version of the map is available for play on Map QA
Old 09-07-2016, 11:02 AM

Update: Went ahead and just finished the thing. Uploaded to Map QA

------------------
Ball_Kessler

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Oyster; 09-07-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Stam

Awesome map dude! I'd love to see this for 1dm, shouldnt be very hard for you! Also it's on my server too, so edit your first post :P
Old 09-09-2016, 09:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Stam

Oyster please keep on doing this! We played ladder today on both of your maps altitude and desert (one after the other, what a thing to say) and we all enjoyed it very much, both winners and losers, I think I've finally found out why ladder community and gameplay was getting worse and worse(surely not the balancer as everyone blames), people got bored of same maps every time, we need something new. So please never stop doing making new maps!

Last edited by Stam; 09-09-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:51 PM

Hey Oyster! Played yesterday the ball version and it's very good map, i love it yet!
The Tbd version looks good too, have to try it! Looks like a merge of Asteroids and Core! Good job