Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:36 AM

Default Memory Leak Problems

I been having a lot of problems with what I assume are "memory leaks". I find myself freezing in game and being unable to control myself in game and crashing or getting shot down. Also every time im in main screen window for extended period of time my game always freezes and crashes. I really need help its causing me a lot of trouble.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:59 AM

Kuja,

what OS do you use (win/mac/linux)? Does this happen with any other applications, particularly other online games? Are there any other symptoms like sound loops etc...? Have you installed any new applications or updated any drivers lately?

What other applications are running when you are playing altitude?

If you are on windows, download and run hijackthis (while altitude is open) http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/ and post the results.

iPlane
Old 08-29-2009, 02:03 AM

Im on windows, running that thing now. This only happens in altitude.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Good questions iPlane, thanks.

One more question: how many people are on your friends list?

I know you submitted once before, but could you submit a bug report (start the game, open the console, and type reportBug) next time you crash?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:04 AM

I just ran that link iplane provided and everything working fine now I really owe you iplane! Oh and my flist is ginormous.

edit: ep nvm still crashing here and there but its not nearly as bad.

Last edited by Kuja900; 08-29-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:16 AM

lamster this isnt an isolated incident. I think just about every player experienced this at one point. You leave altitude on for long enough and it starts to hiccup. You freeze for a second and nothing responds during this period. You then end up dead most likely because you just crashed or soemthing. I dont think steering while in the freeze state does anything. If you check the processes information the memory usage is like 200,000k +

restarting fixes this.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
I just ran that link iplane provided and everything working fine now I really owe you iplane! Oh and my flist is ginormous.

edit: ep nvm still crashing here and there but its not nearly as bad.
kuja that program is a diagnostic tool. I dont think it actually fixes anything (i might be wrong). He wants you to post the log you get to see wut the problem is.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:51 AM
Administrator

Yeah it sounds like a classic memory leak, but the game code has been tested pretty thoroughly and I've never managed to reproduce the leak/crash behavior on my machine. I'm guessing it either has something to do with huge friends lists, or buggy drivers and possibly alt-tabbing. Has anyone figured out any factors that modify or predict the time-to-crash? (E.g., if a bunch of friends log in/out are you more likely to crash? If you quickly alt-tab 50 times does it crash? does it only happen when you're running fullscreen, or windowed? etc)
Old 08-29-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguard View Post
kuja that program is a diagnostic tool. I dont think it actually fixes anything (i might be wrong). He wants you to post the log you get to see wut the problem is.
Had some fixed checked option, and my memory leakitis is back ;(
Old 08-29-2009, 05:05 AM

If this is 64-bit Vista as I think from the (x86) directory I'll have to actually run it on a x64 Vista machine to compare results as I have not used HJT on it before. But in general, file missing is bad. My initial comments in italics.

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)

Application Layer Gateway: needed for the windows host based firewall.

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspn et_state.exe (file missing)

meh

O23 - Service: @dfsrres.dll,-101 (DFSR) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\DFSR.exe (file missing)

DFS file replication resources.

O23 - Service: Portrait Displays Display Tune Service (DTSRVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Portrait Displays\HP My Display\dtsrvc.exe (file missing)
Who cares if you display has a portrait that's tuned?

O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

google apps updater... turn it off

O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

Cryptographic next gen service. required for network autconfig stuff

O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)

core windows component, used by many applications

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

net logon service, not necessary of you're not on a domain

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

Protected storage, not critical

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)

rpc locator service, pretty important.

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

Security Account Manager service. You really shouldn't even be able to log into your computer if this really isn't there

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-101 (slsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe (file missing)

Software Licensing Service. Vista should have real issues without this

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)

Simple Network Monitoring Protocol trap, listens for snmp message, should be there

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)

spooler service. useful if you like to print

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)

Interactive Service Detection, notifies you when a service needs input, not bad if disabled, but shouldn't really be.

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)

Microsofts Virtual Disk service

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)

Volume Shadow Copy service. Deleted that file? no problem recover it with VSC, unless of course VSC isn't there...

O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner -
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)

Windows Management Instrumentation performance adapter. Non essential

O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

Windows Media Player network sharing. Turn it off unless you are really sharing your WMP library out across the network

Like I said, not had to run HJT on Vista x64 yet, I will over the weekend and compare to see if it's reporting accurately. If it is
Old 08-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAAnotif.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Users\David Hooks\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chro me.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
Sup David. Wish I could help you out bro.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
Sup David. Wish I could help you out bro.
ex BF set it up this comp like year old ^^. He was my lacky .
Old 08-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
ex BF set it up this comp like year old ^^. He was my lacky .
lol, I wonder if there is anyone left out there who actually believes these lies anymore, David. But if this is how you get your jollies, then more power to you bro!

But just so we are all clear, your ex bf set up your computer but for some reason used his name on the user account instead of yours?

Occam's Razor ftl.

Last edited by nesnl; 08-29-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:48 PM

We use to share it but i kind of kicked him out and kept it lol. Jeff, David, whatever else there to many different names its all bull**** -_-.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator

I never followed the original thread so I don't know what the Kuja controversy is about and I really don't care. Kuja's sex is 100% immaterial to this and many other topics in which pathetic and irrelevant harassment posts have been made: please stop polluting threads with this crap.

Kuja: please do not respond to further harassment of this sort. If necessary you can report the posts and I will delete them.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:50 PM

I've had a chance to run HJT on a Vista x64 machine and it is definitely not reporting correctly. Shame, it's a really useful tool on x86 machines and I hope they update it soon.

Download and run Malware Bytes. Right click on it and run as administrator and make sure you let it update and run after the install.

Perform a full scan, this will take some time, and it is generally safe to let it fix anything it finds wrong.

A couple of other things to check are how much free space you have on the c: drive and what your page file is set to. Right click on the computer icon and choose properties. In the new window click on advanced system settings on the left. In the next window under performance click on settings, then on the advanced tab. Under virtual memory click change and make sure it is set to system managed size. Click ok then ok again.

To check your free space just double click the computer icon. Right click on the drive icon and choose properties and it will tell you. If you are low on free space on your c drive free up space by deleting old stuff. You may also want to click on the tools tab of the properties window and check for errors and defragment.

Beyond that it may just be a problem your network connection. If you are using wireless lots of different things interfere, from cell and cordless phones to microwaves.

It could be memory leak in the game, but seeing you in game, it doesn't seem that is the major culprit. My memory usage hovers around 300B of physical memory for me and around the same for virtual memory. I mostly play on my Mac tho.