Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:14 AM

Default ball_projectx

BALL_PROJECTX
Update 1/30/17. Now playable at: Map QA server
Download

(the editor's collapsed screenshot taker isnt adding in the background, so I'm aware it looks much brighter. It isn't like that in the game.)

Change log
Update 3, 1-31-17
- Went back to pegs in front of the goal. Its more fun in testing and gives the map a unique flavor. I kept the edges from the wall, though, so the corner wrap-around shots will still happen.
Update 2, 1-30-17
I did a final update and polished off the map. I believe it to be finished now.
- I changed the two pairs of dots near the goal into lines. There really was no play to make on the dots other than to dangerously fly through them, so now the lines give more bounce shot opportunities. Also, I am able to use them to give a more reliable bounce goal if you whip the ball around the corner arcs on both top and bottom.
- I went back and redid the collision outlines of the curves near the goal. They are even more gradual now which makes it easier to use the feature. Also opens a little more space for the top lane. Can see the difference from the first pic.
- Made some cosmetic changes behind the goal to spice things up.
- Tightened up the paint in front of the goal by about 8 ticks so it isnt irregularly shaped.
Update 1, 1-30-17:
- I added white dots inside the black pegs to help with visibility.
- I moved the straight lines off the walls a little bit to help whales fit through. It is still very tight though, which I think is okay. My original intention with the lines in the corners and bottom middle was to restrict flight but still be able to have the ball pass through.
- I redrew the bottom curve to better reflect up and over onto the other side.
- Extended the top middle roof down to prevent start spam. Now in order to hit the angle you need, you have to greatly expose yourself to return fire.
- Cleaned up a few unused textures
- Added the cobblestone background behind the items on the back walls to fit in with the rest of the map

-----Original post-----

Yes it's me again.
I didn't plan on making another map, but I finally got some good inspiration and had to create something.

It may not be as visually advanced as some of my other maps, but gameplay-wise it is leaps and bounds ahead.
Every obstacle, swoop, curve was made using the "create geom" method, then a texture was applied. All of the shots and angles have been tested and retested for guided shots/trick shots/bounce shots. Pretty much every obstacle can be used to reach the goal or kick it into the goal box if played correctly.

LMK WAT U TINK

Map is playable on MAP QA server

Last edited by Oyster; 02-04-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:10 PM

This map is really great, beautiful too.

I think the corners and center bottom are too tight. A whale can just barely make it through. If you I think you need at least another 24px of clearance (I'd be happier with 32px extra). If you round the corners and lower the wall damage on the rectangular pieces, you could get away with 8px additional clearance.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:57 PM

We just played a couple games on the map, I also thing the top middle needs to come down a little more. There is a lot of spam right after spawn.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 PM

Alright, idk why the collapsed screenshot isnt quite working anymore, but I've considered you're advice, biell along with others who have helped me test so far.

Changes:
- I added white dots inside the black pegs to help with visibility.
- I moved the straight lines off the walls a little bit to help whales fit through. It is still very tight though, which I think is okay. My original intention with the lines in the corners and bottom middle was to restrict flight but still be able to have the ball pass through.
- I redrew the bottom curve to better reflect up and over onto the other side.
- Extended the top middle roof down to prevent start spam. Now in order to hit the angle you need, you have to greatly expose yourself to return fire.
- Cleaned up a few unused textures
Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 PM

Just played, looks really good. I would love it if a map like this could make it onto Dojo.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:18 AM

oK
I did a final update and polished off the map. I believe it to be finished now.

- I changed the two pairs of dots near the goal into lines. There really was no play to make on the dots other than to fly through them, so now the lines give more bounce shot opportunities. (Thanks Yojimbo!) Also, I am able to use them to give a more reliable bounce goal on both top and bottom if you whip the ball around the corner arcs.

- I went back and redid the collision outlines of the curves near the goal. They are even more gradual now which makes it easier to use the feature. Also opens a little more space for the top lane

- Made some cosmetic changes behind the goal to spice things up.