Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default Altitude Advertisement

To help spread the word about Altitude we've decided to purchase some banner ads on popular gaming websites. No "brand awareness" marketing mumbo jumbo -- our goal is simple: convince gamers who've never heard of Altitude to click the banner and check it out.

We'd love to hear your ideas for engaging advertisements. We plan to use animated flash ads so anything goes, subject to size restrictions. To get things rolling, try to remember ads that actually convinced -you- to click: post a description and/or link to the ad and describe how you think the "hook" could be adapted to Altitude. Truly original and uniquely Altitude ideas are, of course, also welcome.

Neither Karl nor I have any experience with flash, but we plan to acquire the necessary tools and learn the basics to implement the ads. If you're a flash developer and you'd like to help out that's awesome -- feel free to implement any of your own ideas, or others from this thread, and post SWF links here.

Technical specifications:
Dimensions: 728x90 (horizontal) or 160x600 (vertical)
Size: 50,000 bytes (48.8 KB)
Format: SWF, GIF, JPG, PNG

The press kit contains some useful images: http://wiki.altitudegame.com/altitud...e_Kit_v1.0.zip - additional images available upon request

Last edited by lamster; 10-05-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
To help spread the word about Altitude we've decided to purchase some banner ads on popular gaming websites. No "brand awareness" marketing mumbo jumbo -- our goal is simple: convince gamers who've never heard of Altitude to click the banner and check it out.

We'd love to hear your ideas for engaging advertisements. We plan to use animated flash ads so anything goes, subject to size restrictions. To get things rolling, try to remember ads that actually convinced -you- to click: post a description and/or link to the ad and describe how you think the "hook" could be adapted to Altitude. Truly original and uniquely Altitude ideas are, of course, also welcome.

Neither Karl nor I have any experience with flash, but we plan to acquire the necessary tools and learn the basics to implement the ads. If you're a flash developer and you'd like to help out that's awesome -- feel free to implement any of your own ideas, or others from this thread, and post SWF links here.

Technical specifications:
Dimensions: 728x90 (horizontal) or 160x600 (vertical)
Size: 50,000 bytes (48.8 KB)
Format: SWF, GIF, JPG, PNG
Every game banner ad I've clicked on had some compelling descriptive text. For example, I remember clicking on a banner ad for American Conquest a long time ago on Penny Arcade. The ad mentioned that it was an RTS that could support 2,000 units or whatever the number was. That made me curious. (That was also back when they only let good games advertise on their site, though.)

So, I think I would be more likely to click on a banner that actually <i>said</i> Altitude featured "side-scrolling multiplayer biplane deathmatches" or something to that effect.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:09 PM

I have some experience with flash advertisements, so I'll see what I can do.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Agree with Triped - I've clicked on maybe 3 ads ever, and all of them were because there was some particularly compelling bit of text.

For me personally, what would make me possibly check out Altitude would be a summed up game description that refers to its influences: "Sopwith + Star Control + Team Fortress" would intrigue the hell out of me. That said, I have no idea if you're legally allowed to do that and it probably wouldn't be as compelling for other people.

More generic descriptions are going to be much harder I think. Maybe list the total number of plane configs (425!) to get a big, impressive-sounding number? Blargh, I don't know. Alt is in a weird place where it doesn't have enough familiar sounding elements to convey what it really is and isn't outlandish enough for people to click on it purely for novelty's sake. Really the main thing it has going for it is that it's a high quality multiplayer experience in a genre that's not done to death, but you can't be like, "it's actually good, not retarded like every other indie mp game. trust us!" (Well, actually that'd be a pretty funny ad. But I don't know that it'd be very successful.)

quotes might be good?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:15 AM

Be sure to do A/B testing and all that good stuff. You're already doing that with the website, RIGHT?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:20 AM

eso and Vi already made a nice banner. You should check it out.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:24 AM

Or put boobies in the ad like those idiots at civony.

No, what I would like is a little animation of intense gameplay(with biplane of course).
And then you can say things like: "customize your plane", "intense online battles" or something like that. Also dont make it look childish.

Important: Make sure the downloadable game has all the updates already.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 AM

lol the envoy ads are pretty ridiculous
Old 10-06-2009, 04:18 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Altitude now, my lord!
Breast free web game!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 PM

"Do you want to see more?"

*insert revealing back pose of a biplane*
Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM

I think an animation of some of the ridiculous moves in Beagles reverse vid would make a pretty compelling ad ^^
Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DryBone

Lolz, that would be fantastic. Nice thinking eth
Old 10-06-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth View Post
I think an animation of some of the ridiculous moves in Beagles reverse vid would make a pretty compelling ad ^^
I am not too sure about this. My first though was that watching a plant swoop in, make a kill and fly out backwards would be kinda cool. After thinking about it for a while though I think it might look silly, not in context. Those of us who realize that flying backwards takes lots of skill (more than I have at the moment), understand that it is cool.

I worry that a person looking at a game for the first time that is about dogfighting, and sees planes flying backwards is going to think it is a childish, unrealistic game, that takes no skill.

I do think some sort of 'kill' video is needed, even just a quick simple loopy/biplane strike against an explodete would be nice. Follow that with some of the text suggestions above and you have a nice ad.

I also think you should say something about an 'unlimited play time' demo. I know that was a big selling point for me. I only played the demo for about an hour before I purchased it, but the whole try before you buy thing is great. (I know some people hate this feature, but I think it was a good idea, Go Nimbly!)
Old 10-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
"it's actually good, not retarded like every other indie mp game. trust us!"
Actually, something like that might work, as a dare. It makes trying the game a win-win; either you like the game, or you get to prove the ad wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagsy
Altitude now, my lord!
Breast free web game!
I like this idea too!

But I think quotes might be better. Pull positive and descriptive lines from reviews, and of course use Dio's quote ""it's actually good, not retarded like every other indie mp game." Intersperse with planes flying around shootin' stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameguard
eso and Vi already made a nice banner. You should check it out.

I think there are a lot of nice banners out there. We should probably go with something altitude-related this time, though ;]
Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 PM

Would be worth mentioning that there is a demo mode that is fully playing up to some upgrade level. From memory, I clicked through from a Jay Is Game's review. And being the massive tightwad that I am, the demo was enough of a selling point that I clicked through and checked it out.

And being the massive tightwad that I am, I got hooked and happily had to fork out the 23 AUD that it cost! Now I've got a server up and running in the office and have a couple of the guys playing as a team during lunchtime. They keep asking me how much it costs.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:49 AM

another thing to consider is the target audience when doing these ads. a prominent example is that for teamliquid, since it's a site dedicated to professional competitive starcraft, you should play up altitude's competitive aspect. something like "competitive league organized every season! over 15 teams and 100 players involved" would be good.

then again, i would say since teamliquid is a community-focused site, ads won't be clicked as much as a bumping of the altitude thread advertising the new league would.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:30 AM

This game needs a referral program so I can put Lam's money where my mouth is.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DryBone

Oh YES!
Well, I got 4 teacher hooked up into this game LOLZ
I never thought they would get interested(they're serious type). looolz
Old 10-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

advertise this game that its free

because it is to an extent, and people always try free stuff out...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilarsenal View Post
advertise this game that its free

because it is to an extent, and people always try free stuff out...
"Play for free!"
Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 AM

I came through battlereports.com Honest review was good - game was what i enjoyed.

I remember clicking a lot of text ads on reddit.com as they are non-intrusive and are truthful. Its a site for peeps who like computers n stuff - big gaming base.

They come at the top with titles involving memes such as "this book was my favourite for 12 years" or "narwhals say this is the cheapest hosting on the web"

I would recommend
"Pew Pew other planes in this 2D dogfight, long demo - laser plane included."

Just IMO.

It should get clicks on that site for the 2 memes (pew pew, laser) and the honest summary of 2d dogfight means they might just try it.

Last edited by CCN; 10-14-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:11 AM

Wow spam bots are getting pretty smart, its post contributes more than half the posts in this thread.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:57 AM

Default An Advertisement

A dream come true in my eyes. We should use more capture fest footage in HIGH quality then turn it into a promoted video on youtube! The first preview vid got 8,000 hits but multiply that by 1,000 then we have a winner and an eyecatcher. I`d be mesmerized
Old 11-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
Altitude now, my lord!
Breast free web game!
lol i see those everywhere.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Hi I have just made this video and posted it on youtube. It's roughly a ten minute video of me playing a game of 10-a-side PlaneBall and talking about the game. I recommended to everyone that watched the video (I only have 100 subs so not that many I am afraid) to at least check out the demo or just buy the game outright on Steam. The video link will be posted below, I hope you guys like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMScqsOjGEc

EDIT: The video is done processing now!

Last edited by Yurigaji; 12-12-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

Default Features

Just show some of the features you can do with the game. i.e., change planes, costumize them

"Choose, Customize, and play!"
or

"Pick your plane, customize it, then shoot away!"
Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 PM

Make sure that it's mostly/all in-game graphics. There are way too many forgettable/stupid ads for games that use art or the like. If they don't want to actually show you their game, it's probably ugly/bad.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned

Default photoshop?

COuld I use photoshop?

thats all I have.

Would that be able to make a web ad?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM

All you really would need is a picture, perhaps an animated one, and photoshop can do that.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Banned

thats y there were so many new players, and there was like 110 servers now.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Have you ever thought of doing a free weekend deal on Steam?

Honestly I bought the game during the $9.99 deal after downloading the demo on a whim because I was so incredibly bored.

Maybe a free weekend would generate some word of mouth?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSniker View Post
Have you ever thought of doing a free weekend deal on Steam?

Honestly I bought the game during the $9.99 deal after downloading the demo on a whim because I was so incredibly bored.

Maybe a free weekend would generate some word of mouth?
+1

Best way to spread the word ^^ D: