Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Default Patch: october 20th, new maps + misc changes

================================================== ===============
October 20th, 2009

Nicknames are now unique and can only be changed once per day

Improved server list to show game mode, can now filter unwanted game modes

Added a bunch of new ball and tdm maps (thanks Maimer)
Added official map tbd_fallout (thanks zenek)
Updated official map tbd_grotto (thanks Carbon and pig_bomb)

Updated "Max players" in server configurator to specify max players directly (previously specified max bot+player count which was confusing)

Updated TDM, BALL scoreboard headers to include current score

TDM: fixed minor respawn bug that caused excessive spawn stacking
1DE: reduced "plant demolition charge time" from 2 seconds to 1.5 seconds, increased "time before detonation charge explodes" from 12 seconds to 14 seconds

fixed a few bugs
Old 10-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
I like this idea. But when you say unique, how unique do you mean? Could I create a demo account and then create the name "John123" and then never log on that demo account again and no one could ever use that name? Or is it unique to each game you are in?

Also, don't know if the goal size got changed on ball_lostcity, but I have noticed some bugs with using smaller goals. I can fly into the goal but it still doesn't score and if I am all the way in the goal and shoot the ball it comes out the other side and doesn't score. This has happened to me 3-4 times. I think there should be a standard for goal size.

Last edited by nesnl; 10-21-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
I like this idea. But when you say unique, how unique do you mean? Could I create a demo account and then create the name "John123" and then never log on that demo account again and no one could ever use that name? Or is it unique to each game you are in?
This comment just sparked 50 demo accounts all trying to steal people's names T_T.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 AM

"Nicknames are now unique and can only be changed once per day"

So if someone changes their nick, someone else can just make a demo account with that nick and they cant get it back? Now no one can change nicks for fear of someone stealing their name, I don't like this. Smurfing isn't even a problem hell I love it when people pretend to be me, its not a necessary change.

Last edited by Kuja900; 10-21-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Updated "Max players" in server configurator to specify max players directly (previously specified max bot+player count which was confusing)
I tried this on my config files but it's still showing 1 less (due to 1 bot).
Old 10-21-2009, 06:24 AM

I think an in-game clan system would be a less sticky way of resolving smurfing. Not many people outside of clans get smurfed anyway.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:43 AM

Besides, smurf games are fun at times. I don't think this was the way to fix it. Maybe a way to "reserve" a name for a paid account?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Administrator

We'll eventually start purging unused demo accounts, so name parking shouldn't be an issue. I believe stronger identities (reduced anonymity/smurfing/etc) is generally a good thing for online communities, and I see this as a positive first step towards maintaining a healthy atmosphere. Suggestions welcome, but I think we can make this work.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:05 AM

Default :o nickname????

i do suggest that the 1 day nickname change shud not be put on it... i mean... us bears love to play with names... and muck around for a laugh... such as a group of pokemon wars... but with that one day nickname... we cant do much than change once.. how about if we made an error in a name... please take that off...

p.s smurfing is fun
Old 10-21-2009, 07:15 AM

This hasn't been a real issue for me, but how about something to indicate whether you're the ball carrier while in 'capture mode'?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 PM

I like the name change. Lately I couldnt even tell who was who on my friendslist :[ (though maybe that says more about me than anything else)

I also love the new maps, its unbelievably great with a little change in maps when youve played for a ..period.. of time.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

I love how vocal people were about how we need protected IDs, then as soon as it happens people on the other side start spazzing.

Anyway, looks like a nice patch to me.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
I love how vocal people were about how we need protected IDs, then as soon as it happens people on the other side start spazzing.

Anyway, looks like a nice patch to me.
Well, that's people.

Anyway control is an inevitable side effect as any community grows/matures. wasn't a matter of "if" but a matter of "when".
Old 10-21-2009, 06:17 PM

I would like a "Real name" and a "display name" feature. I think this would make both sides happy, no?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

I definitely would support the idea of being able to rename the people on your friends list so that whenever my friend changes his name in game I can still know who he is on my friends list.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that'd be nice.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'm on the side of keeping this, it sounds good. Too often my friends were always changing their names, so I couldn't tell who it was. That, as well as the fact that when someone got mad at you he or she would run around pretending to be you or your friend and make you look bad...

A question, though:
What happens to all of the people now who had the same nicknames as each other at the time of the patch?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:01 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pie, this isn't a 'spammed advertisement', and I don't know what the heck it would be advertising if it was. Its a gif of a knee-jerk reaction. You will see that I am trying to skewer the decision to make nickname changes so tightly controlled by using an image of a knee-jerk reaction instead of simply saying 'My name is Beagle and I think this is a knee-jerk reaction.' This wit is now ruined, of course, because I have had to explain it, but there wasn't really any other choice seeing as you'd just delete it again.

If having an image in my post is trolling or somehow means I deserve an infraction for some random reason like 'spammed advertisement', I don't see why this forum should allow images in the first place. Until this is some kind of facist anti-image 100% text board, I'll continue to use images to supplement my posts and reduce my word count to a more succint figure wherever possible, as opposed to being crushingly verbose like this. I hate being verbose.

Please remove my infraction and don't delete this post again.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Again, this is the Patch thread in the suggestions forum. People who are posting in here are posting about honest problems or issues with the patch and the game. I find your pictures funny sometimes, but in this thread can you honestly not see how it detracts from the overall goal of actually working on the game and not just posting some picture to get a laugh? If you want to add pictures, please at least add to the conversation in this forum.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Quote:
Again, this is the Patch thread in the suggestions forum. People who are posting in here are posting about honest problems or issues with the patch and the game. I find your pictures funny sometimes, but in this thread can you honestly not see how it detracts from the overall goal of actually working on the game and not just posting some picture to get a laugh? If you want to add pictures, please at least add to the conversation in this forum.
I didn't post it to just get a laugh, a posted it to make a point. If connecting 'picture of knee-jerk reaction' to what i've quoted is too abstract then I'll be happy to spout out paragraph upon paragraph of text like we're in a Ctrl+Alt+Del strip. Like I said, why does posting an image automatically make me an irresponsible poster or a troll? Were you molested by a .jpg when you were eight? Images are not evil.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

I think that in TDM mode it would be helpful to have some type of graphical indicator of how many kills have been accumulated and how many are left before the end of the game. Seeing as servers can adjust how many kills before the end of the game it seems like it would be good to have that reference considering it only tells you when you first start the game and then you can forget or just get confused. Maybe use the indicator that you use for base health but instead of it being full each kill fills it up slight more until it is totally filled when the limit is reached? You could also have a text overlay inside that little bar that said something like (x kills remaining). So that you could glance up and see that the bar is say 75% full or you could look and see "25 Kills Left."

Also, Beagle, you know I am not trying to be a jerk here. If you fail to see my point that just posting an image is not the most appropriate thing in this specific forum then I am not sure what to tell you. This is a serious thread about serious game discussion. In my mind posting an image that I not only have to extrapolate the meaning of but also is the equivalent of "+1 10 char" or "don't agree." I think you have more you can add to the discussion than that. You have played the game enough to be able to comment much more in depth and actually make a good argument one way or the other. I think most people see an image like that and just pass over it. When I first saw it I didn't even bother trying to figure it out because I thought it was just a random image. If you want to discuss it further just talk to me in game or shoot me a PM, I would be more than willing. And if Karl/Lam think the image response is fine here then I will concede my point and go on my merry way.

Last edited by nesnl; 10-22-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:49 AM
Administrator

The mods have done a great job so far, and I agree with nesnl 100% in this case. My first thought when I saw the leg was "wow, why does Beagle want to get banned from the forums?". It wasn't until I took a second to ponder that question that I noticed the animation and discovered your message. There's nothing wrong with starting your post with an image, just like there's nothing wrong with starting your post "I think this is a knee-jerk reaction," the problem is that you didn't finish the post with a useful contribution to the discussion or any explanation of your position. Even just "I don't like the nickname change because X" is a useful data point that we can take into consideration for future changes.

The nickname change was not a knee-jerk reaction. It was preceded by several forum threads, many long discussions with community members, and serious contemplation about what will best serve the Altitude community going forward. Constructive criticism is always welcome and greatly appreciated.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
The mods have done a great job so far, and I agree with nesnl 100% in this case. My first thought when I saw the leg was "wow, why does Beagle want to get banned from the forums?". It wasn't until I took a second to ponder that question that I noticed the animation and discovered your message. There's nothing wrong with starting your post with an image, just like there's nothing wrong with starting your post "I think this is a knee-jerk reaction," the problem is that you didn't finish the post with a useful contribution to the discussion or any explanation of your position. Even just "I don't like the nickname change because X" is a useful data point that we can take into consideration for future changes.

The nickname change was not a knee-jerk reaction. It was preceded by several forum threads, many long discussions with community members, and serious contemplation about what will best serve the Altitude community going forward. Constructive criticism is always welcome and greatly appreciated.
Thanks Lam, I have to say I agree with your argument here and I can see now how ambiguous my post could have been. To go into further detail, I felt that tightening the control over nickname changes wasn't something that had been properly thought out, and Kuja covered a lot on that point. I generally disagree with anything that makes the majority suffer for what the trouble-making minority is doing - you're solving the problem, but you're also punishing the majority when they haven't done anything wrong. I would have rather seen an in-game crackdown of moderation similar to the level of zeal displayed on these forums, with abrasive namestealers punished as reported and verified.

This would be a lot of work for you, but alternatively it could be done in the same way that the moderators are handling these forums - appoint respected players like Maimer and Kuja to handle those reports and hand out punishments where necessary.

However, at the end of the day, all that matters is the principle - once everyone has their name and no-one is uniquely sitting on someone else's, you'll rarely want to change. Its for this reason I didn't feel it was important enough to go into great detail about the 'tyranny of name changing', so I just posted my simple feelings on the change and went on my way. I can see now how it could be viewed as a meaningless post and I'll try to add more discussion to my comments in the future.

This forum is very, very different to where I've come from, so I'm trying to fit in to the tightly-administered rules and regulations as best I can. Its new, though. Very new.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

The reason you got a warning for "Spammed Advertisements" is that the forums don't let you give a warning for "Violation of Forum Rules." Enough has been said about it, and I hope you now understand why that gif was deleted. I don't mind images in general, but I agree that they should be used to add to a post, not as a substitute for one.

As this is a patch thread, perhaps we can now move the discussion back to its original purpose: complements and criticism of the recent patch. I appreciate your understanding.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

I strongly support the new namechange policy. For every person that seems to gain endless amusement from stupid variations of their name, there's another who finds it irritating and obnoxious. Claiming that the majority is being punished is naive; there are plenty of people who find constant namechanges annoying, even if they aren't vocal about it. It was at the point where I couldn't actually tell who half of the people on my friends list were at a given time, and I generally make sure that I know someone decently well before accepting a friend request.

In regards to the moderator thing; I like the fact that useless posts are being taken care of but I feel like there is a ton of unnecessary moderation going on. I understand that we have a set of rules but it is very valuable to have moderators capable of subjectively deciding if something is truly detrimental to discussion and when something may be fairly appropriate. A few intelligent people have been scared off of posting already because of this. There really needs to be an aspect of common sense when it comes to moderation.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:55 PM

I like the new change. At first I thought N changes every N days would be better, but this is nice and simple and will eliminate 99% of the problems.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowsickle View Post
In regards to the moderator thing; I like the fact that useless posts are being taken care of but I feel like there is a ton of unnecessary moderation going on. I understand that we have a set of rules but it is very valuable to have moderators capable of subjectively deciding if something is truly detrimental to discussion and when something may be fairly appropriate. A few intelligent people have been scared off of posting already because of this. There really needs to be an aspect of common sense when it comes to moderation.
No one should be scared and I don't think anyone is. There have only been 3 users banned by the infraction system and I looked at all the infractions they received and they deserved what they got.

Also everyone who has contacted me about receiving an infraction I have reviewed.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

And let's be realistic here: the majority aren't actually affected either way. The majority probably wouldn't even realize the change was made until they read the patch notes.

I can see arguments for both sides, but it's really not a big whopping deal either way when you get right down to it.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

I agree with the new name change rule (though I think we can do better). My friends list was getting out of hand. I usually accept all friend requests in case of PM questions, and then go delete all the names I don't recognize later, so name changes were really pissing me off and sorry to those I unfriended because of it.

What I would prefer would be, as Evan20000 suggests, a real name / display name feature where the real names are unique, unchangeable, and viewable through mouse hover, and display name can be whatever whenever.

Maybe demo users automatically get a number for their real name for easy pick-up-and-play use, and when buying the game the user can pick a special name for all their own.

As for moderation, I hope people realize that infractions aren't the end of the world, and that it takes a bunch in a short period to get you banned. The only reason I can think that anyone intelligent would be scared away by the current levels of moderation would be if they are afraid their fragile pride would be wounded by a single warning by a single cranky mod.

Personally I thought Beagles picture in this thread at least had just enough clever-factor that I wouldn't have (and didn't) infract it, especially as it was on topic.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Was playing a new ball map just a minute ago (ball_grotto) and at some point two balls were in play. Not really sure how or when it happens or if the ball spawned or what, but I had never seen that before and wasn't sure if that was a design feature or if it wasn't supposed to happen.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Definitely not intended. It's a bug one way or another, either in the editor (e.g. something is set up in a way that should be disallowed) or in the game logic (some rare circumstances can convince the server to spawn 2 balls). Please email the exact map file to support@nimblygames.com and describe anything weird that may have contributed to it.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Definitely not intended. It's a bug one way or another, either in the editor (e.g. something is set up in a way that should be disallowed) or in the game logic (some rare circumstances can convince the server to spawn 2 balls). Please email the exact map file to support@nimblygames.com and describe anything weird that may have contributed to it.
The map file was the current ball_grotto that is linked on the forums (courtesy: Carbon). The game was going on for about 30-45 seconds and my team had the ball. I didn't even notice the other ball until it said "XXX Scored for the Green team." and everyone was like "wth?"

I wish I had better info for you. But it made me think. What about multiball??? A new ball spawns every 10 seconds until someone scores! Or balls keep spawning every 10 seconds and it's like first to 20 goals or something. Would be ball madness!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 PM

That would be totally chaotic after 1 or 2 minutes.
Maybe make the balls disappear much faster than the "unique" ball, around 4 or 5 seconds, to keep the number of balls relatively low.
Or maybe give the balls a predetermined lifetime (server could change those settings maybe), so that the ball disappears automatically, even if someone carries it after a certain time. I would imagine the rage if the ball disappears when you're about to score.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyr View Post
That would be totally chaotic after 1 or 2 minutes.
Maybe make the balls disappear much faster than the "unique" ball, around 4 or 5 seconds, to keep the number of balls relatively low.
Or maybe give the balls a predetermined lifetime (server could change those settings maybe), so that the ball disappears automatically, even if someone carries it after a certain time. I would imagine the rage if the ball disappears when you're about to score.
well the balls would disappear as you scored them, but then more would be reappearing. Plus some would disappear from being "lost." MULTI-BALL MADNESS!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
The map file was the current ball_grotto that is linked on the forums (courtesy: Carbon). The game was going on for about 30-45 seconds and my team had the ball. I didn't even notice the other ball until it said "XXX Scored for the Green team." and everyone was like "wth?"

I wish I had better info for you. But it made me think. What about multiball??? A new ball spawns every 10 seconds until someone scores! Or balls keep spawning every 10 seconds and it's like first to 20 goals or something. Would be ball madness!
I absolutely love ball and am glowing with glee at the idea of multi ball games..what a hoot. bring it on nimbly!!
Old 10-23-2009, 01:25 AM

Problems with the change begin:

Do you know which ufo is real? Cause I sure dont .

A world with two Kings!? There can be only one...

Last edited by Kuja900; 10-23-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:35 AM

Top UFO is the fake.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Problems with the change begin:

Do you know which ufo is real? Cause I sure dont .

A world with two Kings!? There can be only one...
Those are two different names. One has a space between "[fLbSS]" and "ufo."
Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomikPi View Post
Those are two different names. One has a space between "[fLbSS]" and "ufo."
Yes but both cant change their names for 24hrs, its not their name name is exactly the same just not differentiable.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

There's a very simple solution to avoid getting your name stolen. I won't spoil the surprise for anyone though.

Space smurfing isn't really fixable unless you disallow spaces in names, and we all know further restrictions would surely cause people immeasurable grief. Either way if you're even remotely familiar with people's names it isn't too hard to tell the difference. Also, I fail to see how this issue is even remotely related to the change. It's a separate problem that has existed before the change and continues to exist after. I don't recall Lam or any of the people advocating this change ever saying it was perfect, only that it helps.

The King! thing seems like a bug, since that was the previous implementation of multiple names and the way I understood the recent change is that it simply wouldn't allow another King!

All in all the new system seems to be working just fine.

Last edited by Snowsickle; 10-23-2009 at 03:07 AM.