Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Dedicated Server
FAQ Community Calendar

Dedicated Server Discuss technical issues related to hosting your own servers.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 PM

Default Playground (by nCount)

Edit:

I've decided to stop hosting this server.

Here's basically how I got it running on Linux as I recall (not necessarily the most optimal way):

1. Installed it on my local machine (Windows).
2. Made a secondary Altitude account (to be used for the server), and started a local server with it using the GUI.
3. Copied the entire install to the linux box.
4. Logged back into my normal account locally. Then went to my local servers/whatever.xml and copied the UUID from "adminsByVaporID". This gives me full admin access while playing on my remote server.
5. Set up my remote servers/whatever.xml (that's what I named the file) with the account info for my secondary account. Added maps etc.

6. Ran: "sh run_server.sh servers/whatever.xml". The first time I tried this, it threw some weird Java errors. That's because my system had some kind of crappy emulated Java installed rather than the real thing. I installed real Java, but didn't make it my system default; instead, I just changed run_server.sh. The first part of run_server.sh is "java "...I changed that to the direct path to the Java I wanted it to use; "/usr/java/default/bin/java" on my server. (These problems probably won't be for most linux installs.)

7. Ran "sh run_server.sh servers/whatever.xml" and then played on my server locally to test it.

8. Made a VERY hacked bash script to restart the server. It looked roughly like this:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
ps aux | grep "servers/whatever.xml" | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $2 }' | xargs kill -9
sh run_server.sh servers/whatever.xml &
- The first line has the system list running processes, show only one containing the string my server runs with, then kill that process. If you were running multiple servers, you'd have to complicate this.
- The second line restarts the server. The & at the end makes the process run in the background so I can exit the shell and the server will continue running.

I gave myself FTP access to all this to make it easy to access files remotely. This was useful for uploading maps for testing and for editing the server config xml.

Any time Altitude had updates, I updated my local client, then just uploaded any relevant updated files by date (but NOT my whatever.xml, etc. settings files) to the remote server, then restarted the server. This could be done with an automatic sync program. I have no idea whether Altutide run from the command line will update itself; I don't think it currently does.

I think that's it. It uses very little computing resources and runs perfectly. Enjoy!

(Feel free to move this around and delete the thread or whatever)

Last edited by nCount; 01-07-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Shutdown
Old 12-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nCount View Post
I removed the bots. However, this causes an issue where browing the server list in-game shows my server as having zero players, even if there are one or two players. Therefore, and for general convenience, I created a quick web-based page that shows you the number of players on my server:
next patch will let you configure the bot count.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:44 AM

Awesome!