Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Dedicated Server
FAQ Community Calendar

Dedicated Server Discuss technical issues related to hosting your own servers.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default VPS Services Question

Karl/Lam or anyone,

After getting more experience using the VPS in running the Altitude servers I am looking to pass that knowledge along to other people. I think there would be people out there who would set up servers if they knew what was available and how to do it. That being said I have no experience in dealing with companies who sell VPS services. Are you aware of any good options? Preferably inexpensive options that would suit the needs of an Altitude server?

With this information I could write a guide on where to get the services, how to upload the information, setting up the server configs, adding maps, starting/stopping the servers, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Administrator

VPS hosts are a total crap shoot. We have gone through 3 of them in Europe, all of whom got good praises on http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

Europe VPS we've tried:
  1. VAServe (a2b2, cheapVPS and many other names)
    1. They got hacked and some other company bought them
    2. They charge $35 USD and 19.99 euros a 17% markup for USD customer
    3. They send invoices in DD/MM/YY format which is confusing as hell. Other competent Euro companies send in DD/MMM/YY so month is spelled out like Oct.
  2. EuroVPS
    1. Their VPS servers just sucked horribly. Couldn't run servers worth a damn
  3. hostineuro
    1. These guys seem awesome so far, really powerful specs for real cheap. Located in Netherlands.

US VPSes:
  1. Proaxxs
    1. located somewhere in PA
    2. No choice of where your VPS will be
    3. They seem ok so far though for $19.99 USD/month

Dedicated servers
  1. Colocrossing
    1. These guys have been pretty awesome. You could host a crap ton of servers on one of their dedicated boxes
    2. Very expensive

Oh I would also like to note that I knew about and used Colocrossing because of their awesome Counter Strike servers http://www.velocity-servers.net/. Someone could talk to them and see if it's possible for them to set up an Altitude server

Last edited by Karl; 10-28-2009 at 05:48 PM.