Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Default Patch: october 30th, new sound effects, bug fixes

================================================== ===============
October 30th, 2009

all sound effects remade by Somatone, lots of new sound effects added

added experimental option (config/options.xml: generalOptions.garbageCollectOnSpawn) for linux VMs with poorly optimized garbage collectors
fixed a few bugs

Last edited by lamster; 10-30-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:39 PM

whoa remade sound effects! yay
thats the highlight of this patch.
but one thing after playing for 3 minutes it seems the sound effects have lost its oommph for loudness and war and has gone into sound effects of a future istic and sleek gameplay theme. are we able to go back to the classic sound effects?

ps. why won`t you list the minor bugs fixed?

Last edited by Torrent; 10-30-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:51 PM

This is when I'm glad of the 20 bucks I gave you.
Thanks, you deserve it.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:20 PM

Who did the intro music
Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 PM

Ok so now i readed about this patch i think i'll turn the sound back on tomorrow for a day. You know i need vent and the sound is kinda annoying together with that.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebone View Post
Who did the intro music
Somatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
Ok so now i readed about this patch i think i'll turn the sound back on tomorrow for a day. You know i need vent and the sound is kinda annoying together with that.
turn master volume down lower than your vent volume... problem solved.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:27 PM

Yes i know and i used that. But a little bit later KLF members started to get used to each other. Now they talk all the time and with mled with his annoying band at the background i'm really not at cloud nine (not even three).
Old 10-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Just quickly listened to the intro/home-screen music and the new sound effects, and I think they are a pretty good improvement in general.

One small suggestion:
I don't know whether you have more than one soundtrack that Somatone made for you or not. If so, might it be worthwhile having an option to enable the soundtrack in-battle? I personally find that I turn off my sound when playing because the sound effects get a bit repetitive, but I think it would be easier to stand if it was a mixture between sound effects and music. Something to think about?

Last edited by Pieface; 10-31-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:09 AM

Well, I didn't like the new sounds at the first hearing.. and it sounded really crappy through my laptop speakers.. but when I put on my headphones, things get much better!

But still, I think the old sounds were more fitted for the action. The new ones make me feel I'm playing pacman or supermario

Wakka Wakka!
Old 10-31-2009, 12:21 AM

First of all, let me tell you that I am an audio engineer so I know what I'm talking about.

I personally think the new sounds have not improved the game. The older sounds fitted the game much better. They were more powerfull, fitted better with the events (shootin, bombing, etc) and were balanced much better.

When items are picked up, the new sound for that is much too loud compared to shootin a missle by a loopy for instance. Talking of which; the missles sound like putting a piece of paper on a wooden table. Sounds of online/offline friends are poor, dropping bomb too high pitched and too loud and I could go on. Over all, the new sounds lack power. Power that the old sounds did have.

I'm sorry guys. Sounds update was not for the best...

Edit; Seriously... The turret projectile "explosions". Wtf... That can't be serious...

Last edited by <[-.V]>; 10-31-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:28 AM

Default New Sound Updates

The intro music is ok and one sound for the planes is better , the goal sound in ball is good, thats about it.

The biplane machine gun sounds better,but
the bomber sound like its spitting not shooting. The expoilt missle sounds like a bottle rocket

The overall game play, makes it sound like a poor machine that needs oiled.

Although I have read { in the game } with more bass it sounds good. Just what I need to spend more money.

In my humble opinion this upgrade is more like a downgrade to video games of the seventies - as you may have guessed I am not at all happy with it.

but thats just me
Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

mooo mooo kawhuhuhuh Derf Dero!
Old 10-31-2009, 12:51 AM
Administrator

At some point I'll post the old sounds for those who really want to revert, but I'd much rather we tweak the problematic sounds from the new batch so that we end up with a consistent, high-quality soundscape. The new sounds really shine on a higher quality sound system with some bass, but even on my crappy setup (I use $5 headphones from Wal-Mart) I feel like most sounds have improved.

For those who don't like the new sounds, please list which sounds exactly you don't like and what about them you would change. Some of you have already done this -- thanks! Keep the feedback coming.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:12 AM

I really like the biplane sounds, everything else seems rather "softened". Chk-chk-chk-chk!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:19 AM

can we please separate firing sounds from random sounds cause its confusing the hell out of me. its distracting as hell having all these sounds going on at once when ur trying to play the game
Old 10-31-2009, 01:23 AM

Well this is obviously subjective.. I love the new sounds, since I think they fit the game better. :P The theme is also pretty freaking awesome.

Maybe it should be possible to switch which theme/sounds you want to hear, to appease everybody?

edit: oh and by the way.. what happened to tbd_fallout? I can't find it on official servers, and no one answers me when I ask where it went

Last edited by eth; 10-31-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

I think that in huge battles the sounds do all seem to meld together into a sound that is less distinguishable than the previous sounds. Overall I like them better though. They have much more bass to them and it sounds really good on my sound system.

The sounds that might need tweakin:

Loopy Missile firing might need to be given a little more power.
Bomber Grenade firing might need a tweak so it isn't so muffled.
Award Screen: The sound that plays every time an award is displayed (it sounds kind of like a guy breathing)
Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 AM

loopy's new firing sound definately needs to go because now its a silenced tracking missile
Old 10-31-2009, 02:33 AM

Firstly, the new theme music is excellent.

My dislikes are as follows:
Respawn noise - sounds weird and too sci-fi
Item pickup noise - too loud and high-pitched. BING!!!
Bomb diffused noise - too bing-y, maybe try replacing with a fuse/fwsssh kinda noise?
Afterburner noise - sounds weird, can't place why I don't like it but I don't.
Loopy missiles - needs to be louder/stronger.

Really awesome new sounds, besides the music:
Anything from the biplane, especially the heavy cannon
Miranda time anchor/pounce forward
Bomber bomb drop
Big bomb drop
Old 10-31-2009, 03:02 AM

also a 7v7 sounds like robots having sex
Old 10-31-2009, 03:02 AM

Mixed on the sounds.

HC sounds awesome, but overall, effects don't match the look and gameplay as much as the old ones did, if that makes any sense.

Will give it time, but the HC sound rocks, including when it hits.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZidaneTribal View Post
also a 7v7 sounds like robots having sex

what i`ve seen is that we need more war sound effects with the tweaking the slightest bit to make them more smooth not a total remake to new sounds.

since we have to adjust i would like to promote the option to choose what theme you want and title screen theme changing
Old 10-31-2009, 04:06 AM

Heh sounds very futuristic.
I like the biplane sound, I really like the metal sound when you hit planes with the machine gun. One thing that kind of annoyed me is while in battle I couldn't really hear the explodets dropping mines and yea some sounds seem a bit too low and some are a bit too loud.
Don't like the turret sound, really puny. Loopies a bit too quiet and I'm not sure but emp seems to sound very similar to trickster.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:06 AM

Well I have been playing around with the new sounds.

It seems that the new sounds make it more difficult to distinguish between the different actions that take place on screen. The older sounds were more distinguishable from one another, and more recognizable as soon as you began to hear them. They were really helpful to quickly react in game.

For example, there are times when you cannot focus on what a particular enemy is doing, but you know that he is going to shoot.
Or if you know that he has to refill his energy, then you prepare the next attack, but you need to be advised if he decides to attack before you are ready.
Or when you are fleeing, you need to focus your drive on what is in front of you, but you still need to know what the enemy is shooting at you, and when.
All these are examples of crucial time where you need to have good sounds, especially because the battles are very quick, and you need to take quick decisions.

Also I like to play my own music in background, and the old sounds stood out more clearly from the music. Thus I could enjoy both sounds
Old 10-31-2009, 04:24 AM

Classic sound option soon please. I think the biplane is the only improvement with this batch of sounds.

Some of my issues: The miranda dash sounds off, the miranda charge shot sounds incredibly underwhelming, and the powerup pickup sounds and bomb drop sounds are just annoying to hear. The award screen sounds like Darth Vader also.

Last edited by Evan20000; 10-31-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

I generally like the sounds - except for the final explosion one. It is way too loud. I have my sound cranked up decently to hear all of the other ones and then the final explosion is just over the top. If it could be toned down that would be nice. Other than that I really like them
Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfourke View Post
Firstly, the new theme music is excellent.

My dislikes are as follows:
Respawn noise - sounds weird and too sci-fi
Item pickup noise - too loud and high-pitched. BING!!!
Bomb diffused noise - too bing-y, maybe try replacing with a fuse/fwsssh kinda noise?
Afterburner noise - sounds weird, can't place why I don't like it but I don't.
Loopy missiles - needs to be louder/stronger.

Really awesome new sounds, besides the music:
Anything from the biplane, especially the heavy cannon
Miranda time anchor/pounce forward
i totally agree. new theme song is great . the biplane is awesome. the sounds need to be balanced in a way that important sound(shooting) are loud and less important sounds(spawning, powerup pickup) are lower. also, the sounds need bass like the explosions which sound too high pitched. the sounds also get repetitive unlike the old ones.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Another thing I noticed is I think that the sound for a "point won" or "round won" (whatever you want to call it) in in the 1DE mode seems like a better fit for the goal scored sound in the ball mode.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:21 AM

I think the new title music is a good improvment, but a lot of the new sounds are quite irritating. The biplane gun sounds and explodet explosions were good, but especially the round won sounds and spawning were rather too odd.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:42 AM

The new music is excellent.

The new sounds are not, however. Please give us a classic sound option (once you've finished bugfixing the new sounds).

The main problem is environmental and less-important sounds are much too loud. Many "events" that have no real effect on play have sounds that are either too loud, or it appears that you've added sounds where there were previously none. For example I was surprised to find that an EMP detonation has a sound now. I don't remember it having one before - if so it must have been very soft.

Here is a list of especially important sounds:
*Base explodes / goal scored
*Weapon firing
*Weapon hits
*Stall
*Turret firing
*Turret explodes

Here is a list of especially unimportant sounds:
*ALL USER INTERFACE SOUNDS (clicks, swishes, beeps)
*ALL PICKUP SOUNDS
*AFTERBURNER & ENGINE LOOP
*Spawning
*Teamtalk
*User-related sounds (login, "X is now playing," etc)

And to a certain extent:

*WEAPON DETONATIONS, meaning, any sound generated by a weapon after the initial firing (EMP detonation for example). The reason this is unimportant is because the sound can still play even if the weapon misses.

Right now items in the second list are mixed as loud as the first. This makes it impossible to rely on audio clues from the first group to help you play the game. Even weaponfire is now covered by the clicks and beeps you added to the UI and the friend system.

The classic sounds were mixed quite well with the most important sounds being the loudest. In general, among weapons, the most dangerous sounds should also be loudest. The biplane heavy cannon is a perfect example of a sound that's mixed just right. Remix the sounds and you will be a long way towards bettering the new soundset.

But even so I will still prefer the classic soundset just because the new version is too futuristic for me
Old 10-31-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Palin View Post
[...]
Here is a list of especially unimportant sounds:
[..]
*AFTERBURNER & ENGINE LOOP
I think that is an important one. Right now it sounds like a camping stove.. does not give the "afterburn" feeling.

And big bomb explosion must be a lot improved. Now the biplane HC seems more powerful than the bomb. I mean.. it's a BIG bomb, when it blows up everyone must hear it loud and clear.
(slightly off-topic, but maybe a better graphics for the explosion would help.. like a mini nuke or something like that)
Imho.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:21 PM

In agreement with Vi, i simply dislike the new sounds. Please please add an option to revert to classic sounds for those who prefer them? pleeeeeease.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:51 PM

Sounds I like:
- Respawn sound
- Biplane overall
- Sound after team scores a goal
- Explodet placing bombs
- Miranda charged-up sound

Sounds I dislike:
- Item pickup - too "bing"-y
- Bomb drop - too high-pitched whistling sound
- Bomber grenades explosion - doesn't sound like an explosion at all
- Loopy missiles - too quiet, doesn't sound like a missile launch
- Explodet missile - sounds like bottle rocket
- Miranda shooting - sounds like chicken twitter, previous was much better

Overall, in order to enjoy the sounds at least a bit I need to put on my headphones. My laptop's speakers sound just horrible with the new sound set, though the old sounds sounded ok on them.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:26 PM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

The old soundscape sounded like a sound designer and a game designer were great buddies and had made a quality combination. It fit perfectly. The new soundscape makes me conjure up an image in my head of a sound designer and a game designer in a boxing ring trying to beat the crap out of each other. Its like the soundtrack doesn't even know the game.

To be more succint, don't fix what isn't broken, and the old sounds were most definitely not broken. To be more constructive/specific:

- Sounds feel much more indistinguishable from each other. Obviously this is a huge problem in a game like Altitude where its already dangerous 24/7 and you could be ambushed at a moments notice.
- For me, both on my speakers and headphones the new sound effects all sound very tinny, like someone is sitting next to me playing them off a phone as needed. I can assure you it isn't the quality of my sound equipment, nor have I ever had this problem with said equipment on any other game.
- Newer/more noticeable sounds in the menu are really bugging me. Can't do anything without BLEEP BLOOP BLURP all the time.

I don't mean to be overdramatic or start something over nothing but this kind of simple thing can honestly ruin the rest of the game for me, and in this case its certainly doing so. I really hope we can see a return to the classic sounds, for the sake of the existing playerbase and also because I believe newer players would be turned off by this soundscape in its current form.

On a simply positive note, the new music sounds great.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
To be more succinct, don't fix what isn't broken, and the old sounds were most definitely not broken.
Registered an account here just to agree 100% with Beagle.

Signed on today for a round or two of Plane Ball (the greatest innovation in Altitude to date, IMHO) and couldn't believe my ears. Altitude now sounds like R2-D2 working in a sheet metal factory.

The new sound design has two problems that I can hear:

1) The sounds all blend together into a kind of mechanical, beeping, booping, whirring mush. I used to be able to use sounds to tell what was going on (whoosh-whoosh-whoosh -- ah, Loopy's coming!). Now, the "soundscape" of the game is eerily uniform and dead.

2) The new sound design has lost the idea of the game. It's a game about cartoon planes with funny names. The sounds should be fun and cartoony. Lots of booms, bangs, pops, and rat-a-tat-tats. Strict realism should not be a goal. Neither should futuristic electronic sounds that seem like they belong to another game.

Please accept all of the above as coming from a sincere lover of Altitude who hopes the game will retain its original charm.

Although it might be good for my personal life if I can break my addiction to Plane Ball...
Old 10-31-2009, 05:59 PM

Option > Sound Theme >* Original
* Somatone

So we can choose wich 1 we like. I like the new theme song, but not the sound effect. Its more like space war or something
Old 10-31-2009, 07:30 PM

My least favorites have to be:
1) The turrets explosions- its not even an explosion.
2) Whenever in ball you pass or shoot a ball- it sounds like a robot type thing if that makes any sense.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:44 PM

Lams/karl. When done fixing bugs in the new sound please add 2 buttons. One for old/new sound in-game and the other button for old/new theme music in the menu.
When that's possible i think more players like altitude. Just because of more sounds being available.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicallad View Post
In agreement with Vi, i simply dislike the new sounds. Please please add an option to revert to classic sounds for those who prefer them? pleeeeeease.
They've already said they won't release a classic option until they fine-tune & fix the new version. Which is good sense.

Right now the game sounds like Optimus Prime making love to a washing machine. Adjusting the mix levels is an easy fix they can do themselves without going back to the guys who made the sounds for them (and paying more money).

In any case asking them to alter specific sounds (like the horribly annoying "your laundry is done now!" goal sound in Planeball) is unrealistic sadly. Making unimportant sounds softer is probably the most realistic fix.

If they alter the mix levels I think people will eventually be satisfied with the new sounds and we can get our classic option.

Let me reiterate among this criticism, the new music is really really awesome and makes me excited to play Altitude every time I load it up!

Last edited by Sarah Palin; 10-31-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:51 PM

My favorite new sound is the biplane's short-range machine gun.