Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicallad View Post
In agreement with Vi, i simply dislike the new sounds. Please please add an option to revert to classic sounds for those who prefer them? pleeeeeease.
I think you misunderstood me. I do like a lot of the new sounds. My favourite thing is that the big bomb-falling sound is distinct, so I can hear when it happens. My other favourite is the spawning sound, but only when wearing fancy headphones.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:57 AM

I especially like the heavy armor clanking(great indicator there) and the miranda shot sounds(it makes a noise when it reflects now!). The biplane fire and similar guns are a lot less "weighty" then it used to be, pbs called it like a typewriter and i think thats an apt, which sounds kind of strange but eh. The volumes on a couple things could use adjusting(as previously mentioned in this thread). Also miranda spam(lots of small shots) makes no noise at all?

It would also be nice if you could hear the base being destroyed even if you aren't watching it happen.

edit: heh I just read through the entire thread, talk about lack of consensus. Overall I liked the sounds, the biggest issue is that some of the more 'minor' ones are entirely too dominating(item pickup, spawn) while someone more important things like all the plane fires(except heavy cannon) seem soft in comparison.

Last edited by argonide; 11-01-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 AM

I am definitely against the majority of the new sound effects. The tone of battle in the game has gone from it's proper place as mainly something out of a good ol' 20th century war to what I assume battle will sound like in the year 2400. One of my biggest annoyances is that the bomber now sounds like a model T.

I appreciate the attempt at an "improvement" but this update is NOT it.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

I actually like most of the new sounds more than the old individually, but I agree with the group saying that the overall impression is too metallic / futuristic sounding.

Oh, and while the heavy armor feedback sound is nice, it also makes it slightly easier to spam offscreen vs these guys. Not sure if this matters enough to worry about, but figured I'd mention it. Actually, the "I hit a guy offscreen" feedback felt really nice/satisfying, although it'd probably be horrible for the game overall if we had this for all shots.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
Oh, and while the heavy armor feedback sound is nice, it also makes it slightly easier to spam offscreen vs these guys. Not sure if this matters enough to worry about, but figured I'd mention it. Actually, the "I hit a guy offscreen" feedback felt really nice/satisfying, although it'd probably be horrible for the game overall if we had this for all shots.
I can only assume you're referring to the bullet_hit_plane sound that has been in since the dawn of audio in altitude except now you can actually hear it o_O.

This sound plays for all non explosive hits (unless mirandas bullet bounces).
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 PM

Default New Sounds: :(

Could you please switch back to the old sounds or at least make a classic sounds option in the settings. The new sounds make Altitude sound like an arcade game.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I can only assume you're referring to the bullet_hit_plane sound that has been in since the dawn of audio in altitude except now you can actually hear it o_O.
oh, well what the heck. I only noticed it for heavy armor. not sure if that says something about me or about the sound tho.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZidaneTribal View Post
also a 7v7 sounds like robots having sex
HAHA its so true man i laughed for like an hour when i saw that omg man ur funny hahaha robot sex ohh man
Old 11-03-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj. Boyington View Post
The new sounds make Altitude sound like an arcade game.
Altitude is an arcade game.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonide View Post
Altitude is an arcade game.
I don't think you have a clue what an Arcade is.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:22 PM

It's Arcadian, anyway.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:55 PM

Default New Sound FX

Hello,

I think we should have an option to change from the new sound FX to the old FX, because I played much better with the old sound FX. I was used to them.

Thanks -Delli King-
Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 AM
Administrator

No there will never be an option to use "old" sound fx.

We do however plan on fixing the problematic sounds such as (but not limited to) loopy fire, explo fire, explo rocket explode, ball fire, bomb defuse, etc.

If you could hear the sounds side by side you would see how vastly inferior the old sounds were.

I leave it up to the reader to find an old altitude installer and copy paste the old sounds over the new sounds so you can hear the difference.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Administrator

Just to be clear: we appreciate that some people prefer the old sounds, and we'll make those sounds available once we've had a chance to tweak the new sounds.

Our goal was to improve the sounds for the majority of players, and after some tweaking I am confident that we will achieve it. Feedback on the new sounds is greatly appreciated.

Those who are only interested in reverting to the old sounds should just sit tight for a few days until we (or Beagle) post an old sound guide. To avoid confusion for new players and to minimize the demo download size, there won't be an "old sounds" option in game -- but it will be very easy to copy over the directory of old sounds manually.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

After playing for a while, I like most of the new sounds, and no longer miss the old sounds. Except the theme music, which is lovely but still feels wrong. That'll go away in time, I'm sure.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrix View Post
Well, I didn't like the new sounds at the first hearing.. and it sounded really crappy through my laptop speakers.. but when I put on my headphones, things get much better!

But still, I think the old sounds were more fitted for the action. The new ones make me feel I'm playing pacman or supermario

Wakka Wakka!
I doubt anybody likes the new sound effects.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 PM

I like several of them better.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
find an old altitude installer and copy paste the old sounds over the new sounds so you can hear the difference.
I have an installer lying around so I did this out of curiosity... lam and karl are right its pretty clear that the new sounds are way better.

Iif anyone else wants to try I just made a backup of <install-directory\resources\dist\.sound and copied the old .sound over. This seemed to get the majority of the old sound back, you probably need to rename files and/or mess with the config file to get all of them(the only effect I noticed not playing was miranda primary).
Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 PM

Ok so some admin delete all my posts made i. This thread except this one because i totally agree with GGQ i almost never use sou d but now i use it as background. I got used to it and it's nice. Good job Vi and somatone.

Ps. Vi if that explodet remix girl is you than i'll lol a bit. Nice mix tough. Oh lol nice burning instruments.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 PM

The new sounds are definitely better in quality but the old ones were more fitted for the action..
But I do have to admit that the more I listen to the new ones, the more I'm getting used to them. Surely they need more or less tweaking (well, more ) but it's not as bad as I thought when I heard them for the first time..
Old 11-11-2009, 06:12 PM

when are the sound effects going to be edited?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Soon - we're working on a bunch of stuff at the moment, but we're making progress on the sounds. We'll push out a slightly remixed batch (mostly gain modulation, with a few sound changes) very soon, then swap in some revised sounds next week.