Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 AM

Default Windows 7 + FireGL V7200: Video driver problem detected

I recently upgraded various machines from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 32-bit. On one, running a boring ATI Radeon video card, Altitude runs fine. On the other, running an ATI FireGL V7200 video card, I get a new error message when running Altitude:

Video driver problem detected - Altitude
You must update your Video Driver to play Altitude.
[various instructions for how to download video drivers]
System Manufacturer: Dell
System Model Number: Precision WorkStation 690
Video Card Manufacturer: ATI
Video Card Model: ATI FireGL V7200 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit

The thing is that I've already installed the latest drivers from ati.amd.com (and they're listed under Display Settings, as confirmed by the message above). I'm pretty sure these are the exact same drivers I was running before on Vista. So it would seem to be a combination of Windows 7 and ATI FireGL (a much more powerful card than the Radeon...) that's causing trouble. Weird.

I'm traveling away from this computer for the next 1.5 weeks, so won't be able to try fixes for a while, but thought I'd let you know.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyse View Post
I recently upgraded various machines from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 32-bit. On one, running a boring ATI Radeon video card, Altitude runs fine. On the other, running an ATI FireGL V7200 video card, I get a new error message when running Altitude:

Video driver problem detected - Altitude
You must update your Video Driver to play Altitude.
[various instructions for how to download video drivers]
System Manufacturer: Dell
System Model Number: Precision WorkStation 690
Video Card Manufacturer: ATI
Video Card Model: ATI FireGL V7200 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit

The thing is that I've already installed the latest drivers from ati.amd.com (and they're listed under Display Settings, as confirmed by the message above). I'm pretty sure these are the exact same drivers I was running before on Vista. So it would seem to be a combination of Windows 7 and ATI FireGL (a much more powerful card than the Radeon...) that's causing trouble. Weird.

I'm traveling away from this computer for the next 1.5 weeks, so won't be able to try fixes for a while, but thought I'd let you know.

Mine did that to start with - I'm using a brand-new ASUS Radeon 1gB EAH-4850 HD - I just reinstalled the drivers (painfully) then for some reason had to reinstall alty because it kept crashing in the splash screen, but hey presto
Old 11-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Default Reinstalling video drivers didn't help

I just tried reinstalling the video drivers. I'm pretty sure I obliterated what was there, dropping down to 640x480. Reinstalled, rebooted, back to 2560x1600. But Altitude gives the same message.

What does the message actually mean? Is it a DirectX issue or something? DirectX is updated in Windows 7, I believe. But like I said, I haven't had this problem on another Windows 7 box, which is also running at 2560x1600. Although this one also has a secondary monitor at 1920x1080, which we've had trouble with in the past... [http://altitudegame.com/forums/showt...ighlight=wyse] Perhaps the old error has reoccurred in a new way?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Administrator

If you get the dialog titled "Video driver problem detected - Altitude" it is because we tried to create an OpenGL frame and your OS (windows, mac, linux) told us that we cant.

99% of the time this is because you don't have proper video drivers installed.

Submit a bug report and we can look into it.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Administrator

I just checked ATI/AMD's website and they dont have Windows 7 32bit drivers for the FireGL 7200. I think that's your problem. You could try using the Vista 32bit drivers...
Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator

That error message indicates that your video drivers do not support OpenGL. This looks to me like it's strictly a driver issue: typically you have to go to the manufacturer's website directly to get properly updated drivers with OpenGL support. They don't seem to be updating drivers for the 7200 anymore, but have you tried the 8.634 drivers from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...5&lang=English ? -- no idea if they'll work since they don't list V7200 in the supported devices, but may be worth a shot.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:56 AM

Default Fixed, thanks!

Cool, thanks for elucidating that the message is about OpenGL. I confirmed that the Windows 7 "any FireGL card" driver doesn't actually provide OpenGL support for the V7200, despite happily detecting the card while installing... But the Vista 32 driver (FireGL Unified Driver Version 8.391.2.1.1.1) you suggested now works (though it was less happy installing). Whee, Altitude at work again :-).

P.S. I can now confirm Altitude runs on three-monitor computers :-).
Old 11-22-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFINATELY not myself...... View Post
Mine did that to start with - I'm using a brand-new ASUS Radeon 1gB EAH-4850 HD - I just reinstalled the drivers (painfully) then for some reason had to reinstall alty because it kept crashing in the splash screen, but hey presto
I had EXACTLY the same problem with the same video card.
I reinstalled both the drivers (no success after that) and then altitude and finally got it going again - no problems since!

Is it possibly a shared-driver issue where the program is looking for a driver that is modified by the instalation of the graphics card by any chance???

Last edited by -MH-CaptainVogez; 11-22-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: I just realised I quoted myself...oops!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 AM

Default How did you manage to install the drivers for Vista

Wyse, I have the same problem, but I cannot seem to get Catalyst to install the drivers, I am running Windows 7 64 and attempting to install the Vista 64 drivers on the ATI website. Did you install Hydravision and Catalyst also? I keep getting a error log about the driver not being installed. Do you mind to walk me through what you did?

Thank You,
Jeff