Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Clan Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

Clan Organization Clan recruiting and other things clans want publicized.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 PM

woow nikon you're a real artist
(i luv the name 'purple' as i use it alot in other games )
Old 01-15-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
woow nikon you're a real artist
(i luv the name 'purple' as i use it alot in other games )
Thanks wolf. I don't know if I want the name purple but thanks for the suggestion. And tgleaf here is yours. Sorry it's kind of bad quality.DSC_0073.jpg
Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

ACID, I take it? =)

Thanks! That was quick.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

http://altitudegame.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=4

Wha???????

Oh, and while your mind is reeling, check out this fascinating discussion: http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2226

Last edited by tgleaf; 01-15-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Don't forget about our match vs. KLF this Sunday (TBD). We need people to show!

http://tinyurl.com/ballmatches for time and more info...
Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
Don't forget about our match vs. KLF this Sunday (TBD). We need people to show!

http://tinyurl.com/ballmatches for time and more info...
I am coming!!! and yeah I didn't even think about acid but yeah that totally fits your style that's awesome!
Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 AM

Wooow that drawing for tgleaf became real nice!! Can you make me one too with the name "purple"?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Wooow that drawing for tgleaf became real nice!! Can you make me one too with the name "purple"?
Yeah I can try! it might take a little longer that tgleaf's I am kind of busy.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Default Major Altitude Patch

OMG

Read it, know it, re-learn everything you thought you knew about BALL (jk, only most of what you knew):

http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2374

I realize that for our loopy-heavy clan, this patch may come as quite a shock (and for you few randas, too), but it's just something we have to adjust for. BALL will be _very_ different for a little while until we develop different strategies and each pick a plane that we're comfortable with.

Last edited by tgleaf; 01-16-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:15 AM

I'll put forth the argument that anybody who needs to re-learn Ball as a result of this update, does not belong in {ball}.

The overall theme of this update, for Ball games, is that the tactics which allowed an individual player to do well, independent from the team, have been nerfed; while the elements of play which allowed for teamwork have been strengthened.

Previously, the mode allowed a superstar to dominate; now teamwork is necessary. If a {ball} member developed good teamwork beforehand, they'll likely be able to adapt and play much better now. If they previously relied on individual play, and must now "re-learn" the elements of play which allow for teamwork, I'd argue that they were not in a place to contribute to {ball} from the beginning.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Harm, I know you're pissed about the discussion we were having in-game tonight. We were all b*tching a lot. That will simmer down once we get over our favorite plane(s) being changed.

But I think that more than just teamwork is required. Yes, passing will become more important and superstars will not shine as much. But also, each of our talents will not help the team as much. For example, as a loopy I've gotten really good at pretending to be a randa -- flying back and forth around obstacles -- to avoid enemy fire and confuse the other team. It has nothing to do with passing because it's just something I do when I have the ball and can outmanuever opponents. I could be wrong, but I think with loopy's slower speed carrying the ball, that move won't work any more.

So as a loopy, I can't carry the ball across the map any more. As you pointed out, that doesn't work against competent teams any way (which is true). I also can't evade, stall, or dance around obstacles any more. I'm too slow. I've never been the top goal scorer on our squad. I prefer defense and clutch plays to advance the ball. My defense will still be strong, but I don't think I'll be making clutch plays. And I know your argument is that loopies still fly the fastest (true), but getting to the ball is only half of it. What if you can't maneuver very well once you get the ball? I used to always want to clear the ball away from goal, but as a slow loopy carrier, that role has to change, too. I can grab the ball, but I need an immediate outlet pass to a bomber.

I'm not trying to piss you off. I trust your instincts about ball and I suspect that when the dust settles, you will be in the right. I'm just trying to explain why some of us loopies aren't too happy about the change. (And I'm also not against learning to be a different kind of loopy, or learning a new plane or a new role. {ball} will succeed... it will just take patience.)

Edit: After playing loopy for a bit, I don't think it's that bad. I can get used to the changes. The main thing still bugging me is the fast shooting that allows shots from far away (for all planes). It messes with some of the maps. I don't see the reason to increase the speed so much.

Last edited by tgleaf; 01-16-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 AM

Well i think illad something here. The only thing that changed is my lovely remote mine but in exchange we whales are good passers now. I guess we should do slmething with that. Such as clearing but example for snow. Whale gets ball at goalgoes low. A guy with a wall from us is there walls opp team. Loopys run in front whale goes on with yes too much health. When he almost dies gives a long pass to the loopys wich can attempt to score. Thiscould also work at mayhem and darkwar.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default BALL Strategy

With the changes to BALL, I think we need to revisit our strategy discussion. I've started a new thread on the wordpress site. Please contribute to it.

Last edited by tgleaf; 01-16-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
The overall theme of this update, for Ball games, is that the tactics which allowed an individual player to do well, independent from the team, have been nerfed; while the elements of play which allowed for teamwork have been strengthened.

Previously, the mode allowed a superstar to dominate; now teamwork is necessary. If a {ball} member developed good teamwork beforehand, they'll likely be able to adapt and play much better now.
I agree, Harm. I still have to play the update a lot more, but I think loopy is definitely going to be the most "changed" element in planeball. As you pointed out, loopies simply can't do the things they used to do (i.e. efficiently move the ball). My early suspicion, is that the role of "ball movers" will be taken over by a wider variety of planes, and loopies will become more (not less) versatile as "reactives" who change their position and tactics based on the position of the ball.

If nothing else, this update will strengthen the concept of situational roles which you discussed on the private thread.

Loopies will be present at the goal, looking for crosses or passes. Loopies will be able to act as a "minuteman" defense, quickly returning to help fend off attacks. Essentially, they become much more suited to a midfielder-support role rather than a striker or goal-runner. And, in any case, are much more reliant on a complete situational awareness of the pilot instead of being consumed by the drive to "get to the goal."

Before, I started to play ball, bomber was favorite because it was such a versatile killer. After the update, it remains so now, but is no longer shackled whenever it carries the ball. In fact, bomber may become my preferred plane after the update, but that remains to be seen. I'm sure this is a kind of revaluation that many of us will have to do, and may have been more along the lines of what tgleaf meant by relearning(?). In any case, individual tactics may have to change with these updates, but the overall strategy of position and situational awareness I believe remains the same.

Last edited by JackShaftoe; 01-16-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackShaftoe View Post
I agree, Harm. I still have to play the update a lot more, but I think loopy is definitely going to be the most "changed" element in planeball. As you pointed out, loopies simply can't do the things they used to do (i.e. efficiently move the ball). My early suspicion, is that the role of "ball movers" will be taken over by a wider variety of planes, and loopies will become more (not less) versatile as "reactives" who change their position and tactics based on the position of the ball.

If nothing else, this update will strengthen the concept of situational roles which you discussed on the private thread.

Loopies will be present at the goal, looking for crosses or passes. Loopies will be able to act as a "minuteman" defense, quickly returning to help fend off attacks. Essentially, they become much more suited to a midfielder-support role rather than a striker or goal-runner. And, in any case, are much more reliant on a complete situational awareness of the pilot instead of being consumed by the drive to "get to the goal."

Before, I started to play ball, bomber was favorite because it was such a versatile killer. After the update, it remains so now, but is no longer shackled whenever it carries the ball. In fact, bomber may become my preferred plane after the update, but that remains to be seen. I'm sure this is a kind of revaluation that many of us will have to do, and may have been more along the lines of what tgleaf meant by relearning(?). In any case, individual tactics may have to change with these updates, but the overall strategy of position and situational awareness I believe remains the same.
Well, I've been testing ball for a couple of games and I have to say loopies haven't been nerfed as much as I thought. Mostly it's because it still flies fast without the ball, and I've always liked to shoot the ball and go for it again when advancing so that's just more necessary now.

But yes, ball strategy guide has been effectively made old. Teamwork is needed more.

Also, My screenshots may still apply for loopy somewhat, the best ones will prolly not work with other planes anymore without modification. But I think faster shooting makes a lot more interesting shots. Yesterday at lost city map, I shot from bottom so that the ball hit that lowest building, bounced on floor and still hit the goal. Was awesome.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:25 PM

i hope some people can make it to our TBD practise today sunday the 17th at 11 AM PST.
if we get 5 or more players we can get a scrim going or else well just get it on with some other players. i would like to do this in APL server #1.
if someone is using it we go to APL server #2.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:08 PM

i am in love with the whale and boat passing/shooting. They can now score frome some crazy angles and more effectivley due to the speed. Try shots from above on cave. I made three in a row b4 people started to defend it. A whale made three against my team from bottom maze part af cave also. I was so jazzed to see it.

I actually have not played with loopy yet.

I believe that we still have the best collection of ball lskills in alt so dont worry. Everyone else has to deal with the changes also.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:12 PM

so we played some TBD with the team in the past hour. it was pretty good harm and jack got the point of covering the bomb and they got some teamwork. after some more practises {ball} players will be decent TBD players ^^. i can see a fair match vs KLF tonight. i think it will be close if nikon jack and harm keep the covering and map control in mind.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
so we played some TBD with the team in the past hour. it was pretty good harm and jack got the point of covering the bomb and they got some teamwork. after some more practises {ball} players will be decent TBD players ^^. i can see a fair match vs KLF tonight. i think it will be close if nikon jack and harm keep the covering and map control in mind.
Yeah I thought it went well too. The other times I have played tbd like no one would cover the bomb only like one or two people covering. But this was a lot better so we just need to cover the bomb a lot.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
Yeah I thought it went well too. The other times I have played tbd like no one would cover the bomb only like one or two people covering. But this was a lot better so we just need to cover the bomb a lot.
always try to get map control since that is the key of bombing the good way. you have more time and you can do it easy since you won't have to stress meeting enemies all the way to the opponents base.
also think about timing since that is the main issue of alot of people that try to bomb. they just rush in while the opponent still has all 5 of his players spawned so 100% defense.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

wolf, I heard the practice went well today. Thanks again for coaching it!

I may be able to make our match (3pm PST today) vs. KLF.

Last edited by tgleaf; 01-17-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Default KLF vs. {ball} results

We played two matches against KLF today. A bo3 in TBD and a bo3 in BALL.

Sorry, I didn't record these, so I don't have specifics.

We got owned in TBD, but our squad actually played much better after the first game. We lost two games to zero. Players: arty, Harmonica, JackShaftoe, Nikon, OjM.

In BALL, the games were _very_ close. We lost on mayhem2, won on grotto, and won (barely) on cave. KLF dominated with killer whales and also were able to grab more loose rebounds. Our passing was lackluster and not accurate. We improved over time, and Jack Shaftoe was an all-star, scoring five goals in the last game and a few in the others as well. He was unstoppable on offense! Players: Players: Anghell, Harmonica, JackShaftoe, Nikon, OjM, tgleaf.

Match MVP:
JackShaftoe

Last edited by tgleaf; 01-18-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 AM

i wish i could have stayed. my kid just got home from doctor and the wife needed a break.

We actually have to practice the "new" passing/recieving and loose ball hunting. It is different enough that i missed more loose balls than I am happy to report.

On a sad side note: i got owned in 1vs1 biplane by shiro. 11-1
i am however happy to find out he is very good. It makes the spanking just a little better..... not much, but a little.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
We played two matches against KLF today. A bo3 in TBD and a bo3 in BALL.

Sorry, I didn't record these, so I don't have specifics.

We got owned in TBD, but our squad actually played much better after the first game. We lost two games to zero. Players: arty, Harmonica, JackShaftoe, Nikon, OjM.

In BALL, the games were _very_ close. We lost on mayhem2, won on grotto, and won (barely) on cave. KLF dominated with killer whales and also were able to grab more loose rebounds. Our passing was lackluster and not accurate. We improved over time, and Jack Shaftoe was an all-star, scoring five goals in the last game and a few in the others as well. He was unstoppable on offense! Players: Players: Anghell, Harmonica, JackShaftoe, Nikon, OjM, tgleaf.

Match MVP:
JackShaftoe

so.. in these games I was the most frustrated I have been in a while i was going crazy.

I don't know what went wrong, it might have something to do with playing ball right after playing tbd I know that I had that problem maybe some others had it too. I think we need to have some more practices.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 PM

any new practise. scrimage coming soon???
Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default Clan growing pains

IMPORTANT MESSAGE - PLEASE READ

I have not looked forward to writing this, but I feel it is needed now that our clan is so large, participation in the forums is needed for creating practice schedules and team rosters for matches, and the fact that the BALL mode has changed since the January 15th patch. Have 20 loopies is no longer a good strategy (it may not have been a good strategy initially, but it was fun!).

So, if you are inactive in-game, on the forums, or have not shown the skill or dedication to stay with this clan, here is your notice.
The following players are hereby cut from {ball}:

dragracer, drake3, Qui-Gon, s of steel (aka a frail old lady), Slokip

This is in addition to the following players who were already listed as inactive and have now been cut:

amyqute1, Bevels, FingerFactor, Layover, MasterShifu, Max, Praesumo, WhoFly
Please do the honorable thing and remove the {ball} tag from your account name.

There are other ball clans (e.g. {ICE}, {BL}) that would likely be more than happy to recruit you. Starting a new ball clan is also a possibility.

Our current roster can be found at http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744.

If you would like to be considered for reinstatement, you will need to private message me (on the forums, not in-game) with the following:
1. What is your in-game nickname?
2. What is your best plane for BALL? What else are you good with?
3. Why should you be reinstated in {ball}?
4. Would you be willing to tryout in BALL, TBD, and TDM?
5. What timezone are you in, and when is the most convenient time for you to tryout?
(This message can be found at http://tinyurl.com/ballcuts.)

Last edited by tgleaf; 01-19-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, a work of art by one of your very own...guavaball:

http://i50.tinypic.com/1495lxg.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/261den8.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/t5htfn.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/el4lrn.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/257iubl.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/1957px.jpg
Old 01-19-2010, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by r87 View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, a work of art by one of your very own...guavaball:

[links]
LOL. How do I play?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:08 AM

Someone found it on his competitive ball server.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 AM

oh god that's embarassing. i made that like a week after i started playiing alty. i just put everything on my comp onto the server...
I am going to delete it right now... urk.. you had to post pictures.. i guess i deserved it after flaming you guys heheh :P

btw, isnt that bouncy thing under the lower spawn point cool? i think bounce pads should be incorporated into the game

Last edited by drunkguava; 01-19-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 AM

We loved it to be honest...gave everyone a good laugh.

The turrets by the goals were a particularly ingenious touch.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by r87 View Post
We loved it to be honest...gave everyone a good laugh.

The turrets by the goals were a particularly ingenious touch.
I had the idea for turret-defended goals a while back, but I have zero map-making skills, so it never became a reality. I'm sure other people have made such maps before, but I haven't had the pleasure of playing on any.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 AM

those pics are awsome. i like the turret thing also. It would make ball, once more, new.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:12 PM

That's awesome. Wish I had been there. Hey wolf sorry it's taking so long to get you graffiti done, Would it be alright if I made you one that said wolf not purple? I am not good at those letters.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
That's awesome. Wish I had been there. Hey wolf sorry it's taking so long to get you graffiti done, Would it be alright if I made you one that said wolf not purple? I am not good at those letters.
nikon, any chance of a CCN coming any time ? :P <3
Old 01-19-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
haha sure nikon its actually just awesome that you're making one!! serious you're so good!!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Tournament Roster & Practices -- changes

Along with the roster changes (http://tinyurl.com/ballcuts or see above), We are considering a new tournament roster. The patch has changed everything. Not really, but it has altered the nature of ball in certain ways.

We can no longer be loopy-heavy, so a new 6v6 team must be considered. At this point, we will plan to have practices to focus on preparing for the February 7th 6v6 BALL Tournament.

Our first practice will be Thursday, January 21, at 9:00pm Pacific / 12:00am Eastern.

I have already PM'ed the players I want to act as a "starting team" but we need as many of you as can show up to be the opposing team. And for the next couple of weeks, it's open season... if you impress me, guava, or wise enough, we will likely add you as a starter. Consider this to be long-term tryouts for the tournament.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 PM

since i heard from class he will play ball with {ball} after CCN's tounrye ill stay too if i can leaf
since there are some nerfes here and there i won't be playing any remote. i will most likely play HC recoilles or thermo now. if that changes things don't worry you can cut me out of the roster. its your choice and i will just accept it like a real man
Old 01-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Wolf, I wouldn't have added you to {ball} recently if I didn't want you on the squad.

Those who were cut were cut for certain reasons, most of which were inactivity (not appearing in-game, not ever reading or posting on the forums, not answering PMs), attitude (pissing off other players in-game, not following instructions from teammates and captains), and team size dynamics (having 20 loopies in a ball clan is no longer viable post-patch).

You've proven yourself as a dedicated member, a skilled pilot, and have already helped out by coaching us in TBD. Plus, you're about the most mature 13 year-old I've seen around here. =P
Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 PM

lol hahaha thanks leafy :P lets own again in ball!