Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Clan Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

Clan Organization Clan recruiting and other things clans want publicized.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
if you impress me, guava, or wise enough, we will likely add you as a starter. Consider this to be long-term tryouts for the tournament.
this is key. no one's spot is safe. show up to practices and scrims and demonstrate your skillz and teamwork and you may be invited to practice with the starting team. show you're an asset to the starting team, and you can earn a spot. But remember, just because you think you're better than someone else doesnt mean that you deserve to be on the team. We are looking for skill sets to fill positions instead of just having the top 6 people play.

at the same time, if you are currently a starter and miss too many practices and scrims, you will be susceptible to losing your spot.

Personally, if I feel like someone will contribute more to the team than me, i will not hesitate to give them my own spot for the tourney.

good luck guys, let the competition begin...
Old 01-20-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
nikon, any chance of a CCN coming any time ? :P <3
Yeah I can do one for you too. Sorry wolf I haven't even started but it usually only takes like an hour. tgleaf I am 13 too, wolf we are the same age! I will be doing both tags for you guys pretty soon.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

The new patch today (http://altitudegame.com/forums/showt...3862#post33862) is great. The bounciness of the ball was reduced, loopies were given back some of their ball-carrying speed, and mirandas were given repair while time-anchoring. All in all, a huge success... I am quite pleased with the way BALL plays now.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:20 AM

you mean i have to learn again?

I am getting all excited. he he he.

Why?

Because everyone else has to also.

Let the domination begin.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Default IRC Channel

So I've created an IRC channel. For what purpose? I'm not sure, but it's a way to communicate even when we're not logged into Altitude (or when we are), and it allows us to have group chats.

The channel is called #ball and the server is irc.gamesurge.net.

I am using Colloquy on OS X, but there are clients for other platforms.

See you online?

Last edited by tgleaf; 01-20-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
So I've created an IRC channel. For what purpose? I'm not sure, but it's a way to communicate even when we're not logged into Altitude (or when we are).

The channel is called #ball and the server is irc.gamesurge.net.

I'm such an IRC noob that if you can't connect, we may have to troubleshoot that info a bit!

I am using Colloquy on OS X, but there are clients for other platforms.

See you online?
Wait what is this? I tried putting it in to the address bar and it didn't work, but I don't know what that even is.

Wolf I finished yours here it is. CCN I am going to do yours in a bit.

DSC_0002.jpg
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
Wait what is this? I tried putting it in to the address bar and it didn't work, but I don't know what that even is.
Nikon, you need download a client and install it (google "IRC Client Windows" or "IRC Client OS X"). Then, join the #ball channel.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Nikon, you need download a client and install it (google "IRC Client Windows" or "IRC Client OS X"). Then, join the #ball channel.
Ok I downloaded it and then typed in #ball but no one is online. I might have done it wrong. Nevermind I figured it out.

Last edited by Nikon; 01-20-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:23 PM

Hey everyone. tgleaf thought it would be cool if I posted all of my photography things like my websites and flickr. And my youtube acount because I have all kinds of stopmotion videos on there. Here they are hope you guys enjoy! If you are a fellow photographer or have a flickr please give me feed back and give me a link to your photography site or flickr photostream.

http://www.wix.com/thomaswilder/trw-photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomaswilder/
http://www.youtube.com/user/trw1996

Nikon.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone. tgleaf thought it would be cool if I posted all of my photography things like my websites and flickr. And my youtube acount because I have all kinds of stopmotion videos on there. Here they are hope you guys enjoy! If you are a fellow photographer or have a flickr please give me feed back and give me a link to your photography site or flickr photostream.

http://www.wix.com/thomaswilder/trw-photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomaswilder/
http://www.youtube.com/user/trw1996

Nikon.
The lego pieces are dirty.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triped View Post
The lego pieces are dirty.
Nikon! I told you not to post dirty pictures.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Nikon! I told you not to post dirty pictures.
What? haha no you didn't!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Tournament Practices

I have scheduled three more tournament practices, for today at 3:00pm Pacific, and for Monday and Thursday nights (see http://tinyurl.com/ballpractices for current schedule).

The 6v6 tournament bracket will be released tomorrow (Sunday), so we will find out who we play against in the first round.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:01 AM

Nikon pretty please may i have a super doopa graffita art thingy for classi?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default Strategy thread

I've posted a new thread on the wordpress site (http://ballstrategy.wordpress.com) regarding an aspect of BALL strategy that I'd like us to practice to get ready for the tournament.

{ball/*} members only
Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicallad View Post
Nikon pretty please may i have a super doopa graffita art thingy for classi?
Yeah I think I can do one for you too. It's hard to get so many ideas to make them all good though.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 PM

Hey CCN I got yours done here it is. The picture looks a little bad again sorry.
DSC_0005.jpg
And for everyone that got a graffiti I might scan them all for better quality but my scanner isn't working now so it may be a while but they will look a lot better when I do it.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 PM

Nikon ur awesome =)
Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Hey CCN I got yours done here it is. The picture looks a little bad again sorry.
Attachment 490
And for everyone that got a graffiti I might scan them all for better quality but my scanner isn't working now so it may be a while but they will look a lot better when I do it.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh
Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Nikon ur awesome =)
Thanks, do you like it?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:04 AM

I likes it!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Default This time, we bring the fight to them!

The 6v6 BALL Tournament bracket has been released!

Our current starting roster and more tournament information are available at http://tinyurl.com/6v6ball, but here's a synopsis of the bracket:
[INDENT]{ball/*} is the #1 seed and will have a 1st round bye.
We will play the winner of [|] vs. KLF.

Remember, the starting roster is still up in the air... show up to practices and informal scrims and impress us and you may win a spot.

Last edited by tgleaf; 01-25-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:39 AM

seeds were random :P
Old 01-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
seeds were random :P
Then I'm buying a lottery ticket.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

{ball} Nikon and {BL} truepa!N have ball servers up. Nikon's is called "Nikon's Ball server" and is hard wall up to 24 people. Pings look pretty good, but some spikes. truepa!N's is called "truepa!N's Ballin' 6v6" and is hard wall up to 12 people. Pings are relatively low. My favorite map, ball_planepark, is on truepa!N's server! He has a good selection of maps, and I'm guessing Nikon will soon, as well.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
{ball} Nikon and {BL} truepa!N have ball servers up. Nikon's is called "Nikon's Ball server" and is hard wall up to 24 people. Pings look pretty good, but some spikes. truepa!N's is called "truepa!N's Ballin' 6v6" and is hard wall up to 12 people. Pings are relatively low. My favorite map, ball_planepark, is on truepa!N's server! He has a good selection of maps, and I'm guessing Nikon will soon, as well.
I have planepark now too. I don't get what people do. Do they just keep their computers running 24/7?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have planepark now too. I don't get what people do. Do they just keep their computers running 24/7?
Well, there are generally four choices when running a server:
1. Have a dedicated server (computer) with its own connection to the Internet that is on 24/7.
2. Have a dedicated server (computer) that shares your Internet connection and is on 24/7.
3. Have a "server" configured on your computer that shares your Internet connection and is on 24/7.
4. Have a "server" configured on your computer that shares your Internet connection but is only on during certain times of the day.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 PM

Hey all, Been having some trouble lately with my amazingly High PINGs in-game (making sure my roommate is NOT downloading movies ). I think I may stop by the store today and pickup a new wireless router and see if that helps at all, I think it's somewhat dated. But in case that doesn't work I wanted to check if anyone's had a similar problem? Running on iMac 3.06 duo, 4gb DDR3, internet seems to be running fine, this may be a shot in the dark but what the hell. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Well, there are generally four choices when running a server:
1. Have a dedicated server (computer) with its own connection to the Internet that is on 24/7.
2. Have a dedicated server (computer) that shares your Internet connection and is on 24/7.
3. Have a "server" configured on your computer that shares your Internet connection and is on 24/7.
4. Have a "server" configured on your computer that shares your Internet connection but is only on during certain times of the day.
Well I don't have a computer that can be running 24/7 so I think my server will just be every once in a while.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:23 PM

I'm paying for my private server, it's bare minimum pretty much.. hosted in Las Vegas, Nevada!

I think it's doing well so far. There have been moments where the ball will fly through someone, but what server doesn't have that

It'll be up 24/7 unless I plan to update it.

<3
Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Default If you want to join {ball}

I get quite a few requests from players (of all skill levels) who want to join {ball}. Although the first post in this thread has all the information they need, I wanted to clarify the process for anyone interested and for current clan members who get asked in-game about it.

Please direct any inquiries to me (or to drunkguava or wiseguy if they are on and I am not). The player will need to first read http://tinyurl.com/aboutball, which requires that they private message me with answers to several questions. Anyone not willing to take the time to do that step is obviously not committed to joining a clan and to the responsibilities that entails.

Second, they need to understand (and should from the "aboutball" post) that we only except "game-changers" -- people who enter the game and shift the balance to their team. Much of the following information will also be in the "aboutball" link:

There are three things I look for in a good player:
1. Skill - kills, ratio, goal scoring, ball handling, passing (not just one, but strong at several of these).
2. Teamwork - communication, passing, covering each other, ability to play more than one plane well, understanding what the team needs in various situations.
3. Attitude - commanding respect, being competitive but also good sports, not trolling, etc.

Tryouts generally are offered once enough {ball/*} members have had a chance to observe the player and believe that the player stands a chance at passing. During tryouts, the player must play with/against current {ball/*} members (and other top-tier players) on a hard wall server for five BALL games. The player must be the MVP at least once during those five games. That alone does not constitute passing tryouts, but it is a requirement. At the discretion of a captain, the player may be required to pass a TDM or 1DM tryout as well.

As always, please direct any questions to me.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 PM

To add to tgleaf above post.

When someone is trying out and they are on the other team you are the target and we play to keep you eliminated from the equation in the process of winning the game. As a team mate we try to get you involved as best we can. If you are not open for a pass to bad for you.

Our tryouts are intense and some of the best ball matches we get to play on most days so I for one get amped to play with all our awsome players at once.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Tryouts generally are offered once enough {ball/*} members have had a chance to observe the player and believe that the player stands a chance at passing. During tryouts, the player must play with/against current {ball/*} members (and other top-tier players) on a hard wall server for five BALL games. The player must be the MVP at least once during those five games. That alone does not constitute passing tryouts, but it is a requirement. At the discretion of a captain, the player may be required to pass a TDM or 1DM tryout as well.

As always, please direct any questions to me.
You might as well let anybody in.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
The player must be the MVP at least once during those five games.
There's more to BALL than scoring goals.

Not to mention, that scoring 1 goal in each of the 5 games is better than scoring 2 goals in one game (which is occasionally enough to get MVP).

You also bypass the fact that the {ball} players could easily be ballhogs in the game and never give the "tryout" players a chance to score.

Poor requirements imo
Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

r87, Deathblade: try reading next time. Thanks for basing your whole argument on one line in a long list of requirements.

It's not like we see someone score two goals in a match and think "gosh, let's add that person!"

You're entitled to your opinion, even if your opinion is wrong.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblade View Post
There's more to BALL than scoring goals.

Not to mention, that scoring 1 goal in each of the 5 games is better than scoring 2 goals in one game (which is occasionally enough to get MVP).

You also bypass the fact that the {ball} players could easily be ballhogs in the game and never give the "tryout" players a chance to score.

Poor requirements imo
I disagree. If you look closely at tgleaf's post, as well as the other posts which describe the requirements to join the clan, you will notice consistent emphasis on players being all-around assets to the team. Knowledge of ball position, situational awareness, and ability to kill with efficiency are all important qualities.

Part of the purpose of observation is to ensure that players are evaluated comprehensively and fairly. I think it's safe to say that no one is allowed into ball based solely on winning an end-of-match award.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
r87, Deathblade: try reading next time. Thanks for basing your whole argument on one line in a long list of requirements.

It's not like we see someone score two goals in a match and think "gosh, let's add that person!"

You're entitled to your opinion, even if your opinion is wrong.
It's not the fact that you are going to say "gosh, let's add that person"...it's the fact that you won't even consider someone if they don't do that.

You can be an AMAZING ball player, but not be an MVP in a set of 5 matches. I mean, I'm not trying to insult you or your clan...but you guys did get whooped on by a mixed bag of clans and pubs. BALL isn't always about being the closest one to the goal...when you guys realize that, you will become much better.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
BALL isn't always about being the closest one to the goal...when you guys realize that, you will become much better.
thanks db, I had no idea. And here I was cherry-picking the goal 24/7. This bit of strategy should help immensely.

(http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2137)
Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkguava View Post
thanks db, I had no idea. And here I was cherry-picking the goal 24/7. This bit of strategy should help immensely.
You're actually one of the top 5 players in the clan I would say, it wasn't really directed at you. You're clan has about 3 "great" players, 3 "above average", and a lot of mediocrity. I mean, if you want to take yourself seriously and be a competitive clan, you can't "ignore anyone who isn't MVP in a game". I mean damn...I've seen a Bot get MVP a few times just from being in the right place at the right time, using that as any kind of "base requirement" is just silly.

And before the inevitable "but your clan has bad people"...we don't take ourselves seriously, and most of our top players are banned from the tournament servers. The only requirement in our clan is if we like someone. Coincidentally enough, r87 has more "above average" players than {ball}. We don't have many that match up against the likes of Lekai and Don't Follow, but meh.

I'm just trying to help out, since I do have respect for some of your top players, and yes drunkguava, you are included in that (but seriously, what the f*ck was up with that BALL map that had a bomb and turrets?)
Old 01-26-2010, 11:49 PM

Thanks for clearing that up a bit, but I don't agree with this whatsoever:
Quote:
you're clan has about 3 "great" players, 3 "above average", and a lot of mediocrity....
Coincidentally enough, r87 has more "above average" players than {ball}
I would say we did have some average players, but tgleaf cleaned house recently. The team that is left is rock solid. I know this isn't about r87, but I think any group of 6 on this team could take out your best 6. As long as you give our team at least one explo. They'd also be able to take out most other clan's ball teams (with the exception of the top 3 or 4 tbd clans).

I do agree with you, however, that being MVP in ball means that you must score at least one (usually more) goal. That usually isn't feasible for players like yourself who are good, but concentrate primarily on defense. Tbh, skillwise I would take you on my team without worrying about the lack of an MVP award. I think tgleaf knows this though, and he isn't going to ignore a talented explo or bomber just bc he can't score consistently. Imo, that is more directed to loopys, bips, and maybe randas. Without scoring, those planes are much less useful (though there still are exceptions).

Quote:
(but seriously, what the f*ck was up with that BALL map that had a bomb and turrets?)
yeah. i know. that was awful. I made it a week after I started playing because I thought turrets would be cool in a ball map... i failed, lol.

Last edited by drunkguava; 01-27-2010 at 12:00 AM.