Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default Random stuff

- Add gamepad support? I realize the game isn't super well suited to it, but I think some players would still appreciate it and probably pretty easy to implement. Gamepads have made a (very) minor comeback for PC gaming lately because ppl can just plug in their 360 controller, so worth throwing it in there imo if it's easy.

- I'd love to see TDM on the main official servers. I still haven't played this mode, and I think it'd be a lot of fun. Also, a lot of players seem to only play on those, and not having more gamemodes represented really narrows their impression of what the game has to offer. Hell, maybe even throw 1de in there... the games are short enough that it shows variety without being annoying.

- With the upcoming Steam launch it might be worth reconsidering the demo planes. I'm thinking specifically that having Biplane + either Loopy or Bomber might be preferable to Loopy/Bomber. Why? Because Biplanes are the most fun plane to fight _against_. So if you're going to have a server flooded with one plane, that's the one to have. And I don't think it's super hard to use or anything, so you're just barely reducing your noob-friendliness (and maybe even increasing noob-friendliness in that surviving is easier vs random biplanes than random loopy spam).

- I still think going to a standard of 6v6 instead of 7v7 server would be an overall win. Yeah, a lot of new players love the chaos, but 6v6 is almost as chaotic but games don't last so insanely long and players get a chance to learn the game without dying quite as quickly.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:14 PM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post

- With the upcoming Steam launch it might be worth reconsidering the demo planes. I'm thinking specifically that having Biplane + either Loopy or Bomber might be preferable to Loopy/Bomber. Why? Because Biplanes are the most fun plane to fight _against_. So if you're going to have a server flooded with one plane, that's the one to have. And I don't think it's super hard to use or anything, so you're just barely reducing your noob-friendliness (and maybe even increasing noob-friendliness in that surviving is easier vs random biplanes than random loopy spam).

Hellll goddamn no. First, who told you Loopies aren't fun to fight _against_? Farming Loopies with Heavy Cannon is an amazing stress reliever.

Secondly, there's at least a little dignity in playing Biplane right now. It's a gentleman's plane. I feel bad for all the legitimately good Loopy players because they've got the stigma of being the 'nub plane'. Same with Bombers.
Don't do that to Biplane. Hell no.
And I mean, do you really want an entire server full of FDing Demoplanes? Does that REALLY sound fun to you?
Old 11-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Some additional stuff that I've been thinking about:

- Since we're expecting a whole lot of new players after the steam release, now may be a good time to implement a better autoconnect system. Instead of just checking the server every 10 seconds, I think it would be great to have a queue for autoconnects, such that the person who has been waiting to enter the server the longest gets into it first. With more players, the autoconnect process could easily get tedious with people waiting to join a server for large amounts of time.

- On this subject, the ability to autoconnect to more than one server at a time would be nice, especially if all of the servers you normally play on are full. This would give you a bigger chance of getting into the server you want to play in faster. While this suggestion is not at the top of my list, it would certainly be a nice improvement. Perhaps giving the paid users some sort of priority would also be a good way of ensuring that demos/freeloaders don't prevent those who paid from playing.

- I disagree about giving biplanes to demos. While they are undoubtedly fun to play against, biplanes seem to have a higher skill ceiling than the loopy or the bomber. I think the planes reserved for demos should be the ones that have the lowest agreed upon skill ceiling, to provide further incentive to get demos to buy the actual game.

I'd like to conclude though that if there was ever a time for demo reform, that time is now. There's no point in waiting until the problem is at its highest before acting - we'll get more done if we perfect the demo situation before there are even more unpaid players to worry about.

I'm sure I'll think of more and edit this later on, but thats my initial two cents.

Last edited by Pieface; 11-28-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
I feel bad for all the legitimately good Loopy players because they've got the stigma of being the 'nub plane'. Same with Bombers.
Don't do that to Biplane. Hell no.
I made monxy say countless times when I was pwning him with bomber that I'm a noob.
Then I just pick biplane and keep pwning him badly but yeah, all that to say that I agree with Beagle.
Even though when you get someone like eth or bob in a public server playing as loopies, you immediately see that there is a huge skill difference between them and the hordes of demo loopies so yeah, I don't know ...
Old 11-28-2009, 05:31 PM

I think xirri plays with a gamepad. Don't they just map to keys?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:14 PM

I agree that loopy is better suited for beginners than biplane.

On the other hand a server flooded with loopies would be worse than one flooded with biplanes...
Old 11-28-2009, 08:16 PM

I learned that newbies need to learn how to spam, before they become annoying.

If biplanes were crowded everywhere, I wouldn't mind shoving them into walls.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:34 PM

Actually loopies become annoying when they learn to EMP.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:20 AM

That's because EMP is awesome. I love it to an unhealthy degree.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 PM

Like i said in another thread, remove rubber hull and turbocharger from demo. Loopy and bomber are fine, but not having access to those 2 perks would be a great incentive to buy the game.

About the other random stuff, join queue with paying player priority would be great. I definitely agree on the multi-server autojoin, too.

Lam/Karl, could you give us your opinion/intentions about these topics?
Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vania View Post
I agree that loopy is better suited for beginners than biplane.
I agree for begginers loopy is the best...biplane is hard to learn.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vania View Post
Actually loopies become annoying when they learn to EMP with a bad connection.
Fixed for you. ^_^