Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Plane selection / perk UI could use some work imo

It's really not too intuitive, imo. Here are the problems as I see it:

- Changing a custom class requires matching up the number with the selection class, which isn't immediately obvious.

- The two versions of random aren't completely clear. I'd suggest cutting one of them altogether.

- WTF is QP? Seems like some kind of "class creation wizard" type thing, but it's very unclear what's going on here until you've messed with it a bit. IMO should be cut out entirely.

- I'd consider allowing players to name their classes. I have mixed feelings about this, but it's worth a try imo.

- There's a lot of screen clutter, which I think would be overwhelming to first time players. Especially ones that haven't played a game with perks before.

Anyway, here are a couple new layout suggestions:

#1 - Players can go to Edit Plane to edit a class. When in this screen, you can scroll through all your classes and it shows their perk layout (probably grayed out initially) at the bottom as you scroll through. Press F to start editing perks, etc. It takes one more click/button press to edit **** than currently, but I think it's a LOT more new user friendly, and I don't think this is a case where saving clicks is a big deal since you don't need to constantly switch your perks around.

First screen: http://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?i...perkui1br0.jpg
Class customization screen: http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?i...erkui1bwn3.jpg

#2 - This is a very different setup that offers a little more flexibility. As players scroll through each plane type, it shows the available classes they've made in a "tree" below. The one displayed in the main selection area would just be whichever was the last variant you used. (Btw, I forgot to add the random plane selector in this, but I imagine you'd just tack it on at the end of the row.)

If you want to choose a new variant or edit one of the current ones, you can then press down and select a new class for that plane or edit one or whatever. Editing planes would be the same screen as what's used currently. The tradeoff here is that you need an extra keypress if you want to frequently switch between different variants of the same plane. But it offers a few nice things: 1) You can have more variants per plane (I'd say up to 5, so you have a full row); 2) The overall structure of what's going on with this screen is much clearer I think.

Look at it here: http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?i...perkui2ep6.jpg
Old 01-26-2009, 06:44 PM

Blankosaurus: I dunno why he just doesn't have 10 "empty" slots and lets people custom from there
Blankosaurus: should also be able to custom **** from outside of a game
ksfrison: post that?
ksfrison: I think he has kind of a UI blind spot
ksfrison: try out the editor to see what I mean :P
Blankosaurus: -_- lazy
ksfrison: wtf just copy & paste fag
ksfrison: it's as easy as typing "look at the top of the screen?"
Blankosaurus: haha
Old 01-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, way to include the part where I'm DISSING HIM BEHIND HIS BACK.

Jeez.