Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

So I decided to take a little break from traditional art maps and go back to an old map that has long since been forgotten by most to even exist. The map was TBD_Mario and it had about 5 different graphics in the entire map (repeated over and over) and the game play was just shy of the worst map ever made (my opinion).

So I decided to make my own version of Mario for a couple of reasons. People absolutely loved TBD_Mario (well new players did). Something about its nostalgic graphics made people want to play it. I also wanted to make a map and see if I could get it as small as possible but still have a wide range of graphics. I started making this map with about 40 different "sprites" which were 8x8 pixels. I then made the map by copying and pasting them over and over again so that the map had about 1500 images in it (and wasn't even half done yet). It was at this point the editor was all but unresponsive and basically crashed. Turns out it doesn't like that many images. So I went back and replaced most of the images with larger versions of the sprites and it worked out pretty well. The map size was just about 250Kb which is tiny compared to most maps!

I made two versions. One TBD version and one BALL version.

I plan on making a few more maps in this theme such as Morton's Castle, Donut Land Ghost House, and Yoshi's Island. I know Lam will probably hate me for this since I am using copyrighted graphics... but hopefully I will create an underground sensation with independent servers! Let me know if you think this is a good/bad idea to make all of these because we are talking like 3-4 more TBD and 3-4 more ball maps all in this genre.

They are hosted on the Wiki, and if you haven't checked out the Wiki lately go do so now!

http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

TBD MARIO WORLD - http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im...arioworld.altx
BALL MARIO WORLD - http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im...arioworld.altx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballmarioworld.jpg (102.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg marioworld.jpg (103.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 AM

After watching those pictures i'm excited to play the maps. Are you going to test them on your captain's match server? Because i'm going to take a look if they're up there. It
Looks great again good job maimer,nesnl,nick whatever.

edit: i tried to download the maps but i just get a new browser with one big piece of text including some weird points like this: €42•|)Ÿ];U|r]‹–9ž‹<o.†'_MDXH1q*$=giŽMO$;o' :1
”™‚>@9&š<1}ulGZP+LSA•™rZ€Ef::RS •kY

i tried the download on mac so that's probably the problem.

Last edited by wolf'j'max; 10-28-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
After watching those pictures i'm excited to play the maps. Are you going to test them on your captain's match server? Because i'm going to take a look if they're up there. It
Looks great again good job maimer,nesnl,nick whatever.

edit: i tried to download the maps but i just get a new browser with one big piece of text including some weird points like this: 42|)];U|r]9<o.'_MDXH1q*$=giMO$;o' :1
>@9&Ԛ<1}ulGZP+LSArZEf::RS kY

i tried the download on mac so that's probably the problem.
The maps are up on the Captain's Games server as well as a server named Maimer's Mario Maps. You can check them out on either.

Since the maps are now hosted on the wiki you need to make sure you downloading the file to your computer and not loading it in the browser. On a mac you can do this by holding down the ALT key and the same time you click the link. Or you can right click the link and select "Download Linked File as..." If you have a one button mouse then hold down the CTRL key when you click to bring up the right click menu.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:43 PM

Ok thank for the help bit i played them on
Maimer's mario maps so i got the anyway. They looked great when i flew trough it and the pipes got better since you can look trough them now. But i don't think this map is good enough for real teamplay as we do in the APL bombing seems
Really hard. I played it with 6 people in total and mike(sol) actually didn't got really good/fast hits. Shields doesn't work quite good too. Especially for covering the bomb. I tried but they just fly trough a pipe and attack you from the back what means instand death. I do think this map is great for public games so anyone who can add them to the official servers or Maimer please add them the community maps server.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
I started making this map with about 40 different "sprites" which were 8x8 pixels. I then made the map by copying and pasting them over and over again so that the map had about 1500 images in it (and wasn't even half done yet). It was at this point the editor was all but unresponsive and basically crashed. Turns out it doesn't like that many images. So I went back and replaced most of the images with larger versions of the sprites and it worked out pretty well. The map size was just about 250Kb which is tiny compared to most maps!
hmm is there a reason using textures in the editor doesn't work?
  1. name you images w/ texture in the name
  2. or put them in the textures folder
  3. ctrl+g to create geom and select texture there or after creating geom while still in the Poly Editor click Image->Set Texture
Old 10-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
hmm is there a reason using textures in the editor doesn't work?
  1. name you images w/ texture in the name
  2. or put them in the textures folder
  3. ctrl+g to create geom and select texture there or after creating geom while still in the Poly Editor click Image->Set Texture
I actually never thought about this route because I have never used textures before. The main question I have about it is can I set the orientation at which the texture applies or do I need a different image for each one? To clarify, I used 1 image, but then I would flip it both horizontally and vertically, so that in a sense it became 4 'different' images. My experience is telling me I would have had to make 4 versions of those files for each texture, but I just wanted to check.

Also, using this method would require me create individual geometries and for some reason that process goes really slow in my editor. Just in general the process of clicking the new geometry button to when it allows me to click on the map is about 20-30 seconds, then the time from when it creates the yellow dot to signify the center of the geom to when it allows me to start placing hull points is another 20-30 seconds. Needless to say, it gets kind of annoying to keep making geoms when I can place the images in the map rather fast.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Administrator

yes you can transform the texture on the geometry. rotate, scale, move up/down etc... You can do everything I could possible image you would want to do.

As for the performance that's really weird... it's instant on my machine... ship your computer to us so we can profile the performance .
Old 10-30-2009, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Okay, I updated the Mario maps (both TBD and BALL) so that users who use low graphics or parallax off when playing will still be able to see all the collidable objects. Now I can finally get working on Bowser's Castle! I have really got the hang of using textures well now which was a whole side of the editor I never used before. I bet I can get this map under 100Kb! I feel like my knowledge of the editor and how to do all the little tricks is now complete!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 PM

on mario, if we fall into the river do we jump back up?
Old 11-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

New Maps for the Mario Collection!

So I finished the next set of maps with the Mario theme (and there are more to come). This time I choose Bowser's Castle. So beware as the lava does double damage!

I haven't tested these maps out too much so please leave feedback if you get a chance to check them out.

Also, I was hoping to get the file sizes under 100Kb by using texture techniques but unfortunately I wasn't able to meet that goal. I was, however, able to get it under 200Kb (which the marioworld maps were not), which goes to show that I am getting better at refining my mapping techniques.
DOWNLOAD LINKS:

TBD BOWSER'S CASTLE - http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im...erscastle.altx
BALL BOWSER'S CASTLE - http://wiki.altitudegame.com/wiki/im...erscastle.altx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bowserscastle.jpg (96.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg ballbowserscastle.jpg (95.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

I have one main and extremely pressing problem with these maps: Where are the Thwomps? (How can you have a bowser map without thwomps?)

EDIT: For those who don't know what thwomps are, I have included an extremely flattering image of one.
Attached Images
File Type: gif thwomp.gif (1.1 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by Pieface; 11-02-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

I actually had that image in the folder ready to go, but I just didn't end up fitting it into the map. There are usually a bunch of images that don't make the cut due to not wanting tons of random stuff on the map. It's best to keep things simple I think. Anyway, just had some games on the new maps and so far people Bowser's Castle far better than Mario World. So look for the next installment: Ghost House!!! (I should have done that one for Halloween I know :::Face Palm::
Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Ghost House? So, boos... and thwomps?

Last edited by Pieface; 11-02-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
Also, I was hoping to get the file sizes under 100Kb by using texture techniques but unfortunately I wasn't able to meet that goal. I was, however, able to get it under 200Kb (which the marioworld maps were not), which goes to show that I am getting better at refining my mapping techniques.
Looks like you got the hang of texturing. There's still some stuff you could have used textures on but nothing major.

Next lesson:
in the Topside layer you are using different images for the tubes (they have alpha) where as you can edit hull, select all points, Poly->Change Point Color to apply an alpha and now your map has less images so it will be smaller and take up less VRAM

I was taking breaks and slowing converting mario to a texture map and with color settings on the pipes but you're too fast for me.

Also on that performance issue where creating a new geom was taking forever in mario map. I had the same problem (it was like 2-3 seconds), it turns out that having all those sprites make for a huge undo/redo buffer. Once I had converted a lot of stuff to textures it was speeding up. One day lamster will look into optimizing the editor w/ large undo/redo buffers.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

I realized there were a few places that I could have made textures in my new map, but I didn't want everything to feel so standardized. Although, after playing the map, I don't think the little differences creating by using separate sprites really made a difference.

As for the images on the Topside layer, I am confused at what you are saying. The images on the Topside are the tubes but at 50% opacity so that when you fly into the tubes it looks as though the plane is "inside" the tube. Are you saying there is a way to get that kind of effect without doing it in photoshop?

Are you still going to finish the mario map in terms of turning it into textures? I was thinking about doing the same thing, but if you are going to do it then I will just continue on with other stuff.

Edit: Nevermind about the whole Alpha thing. I figured it out and it seems to do the exact same effect that I was accomplishing through using lower opacity images. However, the Alpha control is a slider and not numerical. It would be nice if I could know exactly where I was setting the Alpha so that everything was the same.

Last edited by nesnl; 11-02-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, Karl, you inspired me to take another crack at the Bowser maps. However, my results weren't as good as I hoped they would be in terms of size reduction. I did your "alpha" trick for the pipes, so now the topside and bottomside pipes are the same images. I added in more textures in the background as well as more on the game layer, but in the end it didn't save me that much space.

TBD - Old Version: 184Kb - New Version: 156Kb
BALL - Old Version: 164Kb - New Version: 136Kb

So I saved 28Kb by making the changes. Far less than the amount needed to reach the limit of 100Kb. I can only imagine what it must feel like to be able to make a map that is less than 100Kb!

-Maimer

(Also, I may go back and optimize the Mario map, but I want to take a look at what you did so far! So email it to me or something!!!)
Old 11-02-2009, 11:59 PM

what would be really awesome is if you could get the thwomps and/or the chain and balls to move!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:07 AM

bowser's castle looks like a promising map
Old 11-03-2009, 01:14 AM

what has 100kb limit? and the day we have animated sprites in game will be the day the clouds open up revealing all of heavens angels singing hymns and showering us with cotton candy and lollipos
Old 11-03-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig_bomb View Post
what has 100kb limit? and the day we have animated sprites in game will be the day the clouds open up revealing all of heavens angels singing hymns and showering us with cotton candy and lollipos
hmm dunno if i want that day to approach - we'll all end up like whales lol
Old 11-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

So with Karl's help and more time taken away from working on the new Ghost House I managed to clean up the original Mario World maps using all textures. The savings in size weren't as large as I had hoped on this one either, but I did manage to clean up the map a little bit so that it looks a lot better on low detail graphics or with parallax off.

TBD - Old Version: 264Kb - New Version: 224Kb
BALL - Old Version: 264Kb - New Version: 224Kb

So I saved 40Kb on each of the maps. I didn't even break the 200Kb mark One of these days, maybe with ghost house, I am going to finally break that 100Kb mark. And when I do, it's going to be epic!

-Maimer
Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DryBone

for a mariomap to be a mario map
there should be mario and lugi
Old 12-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

So I put the Mario Maps on the back burner and actually took a small break from making maps. But now I am back! I have made 10 new maps today, which is a new record for me. Basically, I thought it would be better if I could create unique 1DM maps because the current ones are just the TBD versions with the bases removed. Some of the maps look similar to their TBD counterpart and some are much different. I am not going to post them up here just yet as i want to get some feedback. All the new maps have the number 1 after their name so that you know they are in my new set of maps. (example: 1dm_core1)

So go to Non-Official #4 - 5v5 1DM and try out the new maps and then post back here with your comments. I need specifics on each map to tell me if you think anything should be changed!

Here is the list of the maps: 1DM Asteroids, Cave, Core, Fallout, Grotto, Locomotion, Lost City, Mayhem, Middleground, and Woods
Old 12-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, so here is the first 5 of the 1DM maps I made yesterday. I am sure that some might need tweaking, but I won't know which until people play the maps. Note that some of them are more random and might favor one side while some are mirror maps, but remember that you will switch sides during the match. I have them hosted currently on Non-Official #4 - 5v5 1DM. I also have it set up just like the other New England 1DM server, with 110 viewscale and 95 placescale. Someone give me some feedback!

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

1DM Asteroids - http://nimblygames.com/wiki/images/7...steroids1.altx
1DM Cave - http://nimblygames.com/wiki/images/0/06/1dm_cave1.altx
1DM Core - http://nimblygames.com/wiki/images/c/c2/1dm_core1.altx
1DM Fallout - http://nimblygames.com/wiki/images/1..._fallout1.altx
1DM Grotto - http://nimblygames.com/wiki/images/1...m_grotto1.altx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1dmasteroids.jpg (65.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1dmcave.jpg (71.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 1dmcore.jpg (100.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1dmfallout.jpg (73.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 1dmgrotto.jpg (67.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by nesnl; 12-15-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Here are the second set of 5 1DM maps I made yesterday. Please give feedback and I will make any changes needed.

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

1DM Locomotion - http://nimblygames.com/wiki/images/3...comotion1.altx
1DM Lost City - http://nimblygames.com/wiki/images/6...lostcity1.altx
1DM Mayhem - http://nimblygames.com/wiki/images/a...m_mayhem1.altx
1DM Middleground - http://nimblygames.com/wiki/images/f...leground1.altx
1DM Woods - http://nimblygames.com/wiki/images/c/c5/1dm_woods1.altx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1dmlocomotion.jpg (99.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1dmlostcity.jpg (70.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 1dmwoods.jpg (97.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1dmmayhem.jpg (99.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1dmmiddleground.jpg (79.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by nesnl; 12-15-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

Yay for 1dm maps, and yay for 110/95.

I haven't played these maps yet, but they look too big for deathmatch. You have to think of chasing that last guy around. The old 1dm Mayhem is the best 1dm map, so please don't replace it! I find 1dm likes an aspect ratio different than other modes. Being a bit tall rather than wide gives you the room you need to support a whole team, but height makes it hard to run forever. Probably all 1dm maps should be squares (well maybe not quite. I haven't computed the perfect ratio yet). And that concludes Vi's theory of 1dm maps.

Middleground looks pretty good, if I imagine there's no wrap-around (Vi's theory of 1dm maps states there should be no wrap-around).

Last edited by Vi*; 12-14-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi* View Post
Yay for 1dm maps, and yay for 110/95.

I haven't played these maps yet, but they look too big for deathmatch. You have to think of chasing that last guy around. The old 1dm Mayhem is the best 1dm map, so please don't replace it! I find 1dm likes an aspect ratio different than other modes. Being a bit tall rather than wide gives you the room you need to support a whole team, but height makes it hard to run forever. Probably all 1dm maps should be squares (well maybe not quite. I haven't computed the perfect ratio yet). And that concludes Vi's theory of 1dm maps.

Middleground looks pretty good, if I imagine there's no wrap-around (Vi's theory of 1dm maps states there should be no wrap-around).
I made the maps smaller, and they range from around 2600-2800 wide (a typical TBD is about 4000 wide). When I made the 1DE maps they were 2200 wide and I think they felt a little short like you spawned and were already in the line of fire. However, all these maps are open for revision. I made quite a few different styles in these maps ranging from mirror maps, to ones with 1 wrap around, or ones with many wrap arounds, varied the amount of powerups, etc. I think I haven't had enough experience with the mode to know exactly what works, but I feel like i have a general idea. Personally, I don't like the original 1dm_mayhem at all, it felt like it was just randomly thrown together and it's not very refined. Anyway, try the maps and let me know what you think.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Hey,

So i've been playing on the one-life servers a lot lately and I found the objective based one-lifers a lot more fun (I.E. 1de, 1bd). 1dm's just end w/ a lone loopy running around like a big...

Just my 2 cents I would like to see 1bd, 1de maps instead of 1dm.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Awesome new maps! Will definitely be adding some of these to the next patch.

That said, I agree with Karl on game modes -- I'd really like to see new 1de/1bd maps; I feel like they're more complete and interesting modes to play. Every other 1dm round ends with a Miranda zooming around the map collecting powerups for 3 minutes while 70% of the server watches. 1de/1bd actually allow and encourage coordinated teamplay for those who are so inclined, and there's always an easy win button (1bd: bomb base, 1de: hold out for quick round end, or plant bomb) to prevent boring drawn out games like you see in dm when it's 3v1 (or even 1v1, but with the guy at 5% health in the faster plane).
Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Yah I definitely agree on the 1DE mode being more fun than the 1DM mode. Part of what makes me not like the 1DM mode is that whole problem where people just run while everyone else just watches. However, I felt like I didn't really hit the sweet spot on the two 1DE maps i made. I made these maps because they are fairly easy to deal with in the sense that there is nothing there that makes something "too easy" like in other game modes. That is how I was able to pump out 10 maps in one day. I also just wanted to help replace some of the old 1DM maps which were just the TBD versions with the bases removed, which meant an overly large map that usually didn't seem to play well in 1DM.

I will probably go back and try to rework the 1DE maps I already made and then try to make a couple more, but even then it doesn't really seem like there was as much interest in that game mode as there was before. So maybe my time is best spent on ball maps? Any word on upcoming changes to the ball mode? Did Freeze Tag mode climb any higher on the To Do list?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately there's still tons to do on the release side, so there's no ETA on major gameplay changes for ball mode or possible new modes. I will try to sneak in a numbers/balance patch in the next few weeks, but beyond that it's very hard to say what our schedule looks like.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Maimer, I'd love to see a locomotion ball map.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vi*

Aight, I thought they'd be the same size as the tbd originals. Cool.

Comments as I'm playing:

Cave has a hard-to-see rock blocking part of the wraparound that's really thin and I crashed into it.

Grotto is decent!

Woods bad wraparound

Middleground has wraparound probs too

Mayhem makes me sad because it is not the old Mayhem, and the old Mayhem is the best 1dm map and it had better not get taken away.

Trains has not a wraparound which is confusing

Core has infiltrator?

Aight, so mostly I don't like the wraparounds. Just... 1dm shouldn't have them.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Pestilence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi* View Post
Aight, I thought they'd be the same size as the tbd originals. Cool.

Comments as I'm playing:

Cave has a hard-to-see rock blocking part of the wraparound that's really thin and I crashed into it.

Grotto is decent!

Woods bad wraparound

Middleground has wraparound probs too

Mayhem makes me sad because it is not the old Mayhem, and the old Mayhem is the best 1dm map and it had better not get taken away.

Trains has not a wraparound which is confusing

Core has infiltrator?

Aight, so mostly I don't like the wraparounds. Just... 1dm shouldn't have them.
I put aside my personal wishes to see Vi suffer in order to help with the tests on this one. I will, as she did, throw out the same "big" peeve: World Wrap should not exist on 1DM maps. It makes it faster, sure, but faster isn't what you want to see in this kind of mode.

Cave - Interesting experience, felt slightly too open for a 1DM map but that's probably a matter of personal preference.

Woods - Best map ever and will always be the best map ever. Lose the wrap.

Groto - This was really really fun to play 1DM on. Pesty seal of approval.

Core - Wrap kills this.

Hurrah.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, I changed some of the maps. I updated all the download links, so just use those to get the updated versions. I also updated the pictures on the ones I changed the layout. Here is the list:

-------

Core - Couldn't find the problem as to why the infiltrator was spawning. I moved a few things around and resaved it, hopefully the problem is fixed, otherwise lamster may have to look as to why it is spawning.

Cave - Fixed the small problem with the object on the bottom. I left the transversable sides on this one, but I could change it if it doesn't work.

Grotto - Removed the transversable sides from this map and left everything else the same.

Middleground - Totally redesigned the level and removed the transversable sides.

Woods - Removed transversable sides.

--------

So basically as it stands now, the maps that you cannot transverse the sides are:

Core, Fallout, Grotto, Locomotion, Middleground, Mayhem, Woods

Maps that you can transverse the sides:

Asteroids, Cave, Lost City

If you think I should change these three maps so that the sides are solid barriers, let me know. I can do it very easily.

Oh, and as always these are all hosted on Non-Official #4 - 5v5 1DM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:58 PM

the reason why 1dm is the only 1 life game mode played is because it's the best mode that is not based on teamplay. 1dm teams succeed when each player plays as if its 1v5. Some people just dont want to have to deal with teamplay. The biggest problem i find with 1de is that it seems to always just be easier to kill the other team rather than trying to fullfill the objective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Hey,

So i've been playing on the one-life servers a lot lately and I found the objective based one-lifers a lot more fun (I.E. 1de, 1bd). 1dm's just end w/ a lone loopy running around like a big...

Just my 2 cents I would like to see 1bd, 1de maps instead of 1dm.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Going to have to call BS on that. The reason why 1dm is the main 1 life mode played is because it was the first implemented, a few old schoolers grew attached to it. It's just a historical quirk more than anything imo.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, 1DE or OBJ mode was implemented first. This was then of course adapted to 1DM, which is why you have such a wierd map like 1DM_mayhem because it was designed for 1DE (OBJ) and then someone just removed the bases.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:38 PM

people grew attached to it because they think it's fun i assume, what you said doesn't in anyway make what i said bs,lots of people like it and play it all the time
Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 AM

Played a fair bit of obj and 1dm, agree with pig.