Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:00 AM

Default Fix bouncy.

As it is you get 0 damage when you crash on a bouncy server.

That way newbies are never gonna learn how to play.
Make crash damage 1/5 of what it normally is, or 1/10! but provide some kind of feedback so new players learn that crashing is bad and can later move on to a normal server.

If crashing is completely harmless new players just never learn, they start incorporating bouncyness into their playing style (for example I just found out I can stall whenever I want to as a biplane, and use it in dogfights, no worries about hitting the ground)

So please, just a little damage, a little stimulus is all I ask.

Last edited by Vania; 12-25-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

I was actually about to make a post about this same topic myself. As it stands right now the bouncy walls do cause some damage, so I think your post in incorrect that you take 0 damage. This is because if you just let you plane sit on the floor you will die. However, I think that the time it takes to die is far too long. It is often times worse to play on bouncy servers because players will sit on the floor trying to unsuccessfully afterburn off of it only to die 10 seconds later.

I get the point of the bouncy servers and I know that a lot of people like them. I actually like the idea behind them in ball games, but I think that they go too far. I think you should try adjusting them so that they have the same recoil affect as normal walls, but just do something like 1/3 damage. This is because the bounce effect is often times counterintuitive and creates bad flying habits. Also, as a side effect to the near 0 damage walls, these types of servers have been promoting the most worthless and skillless explodet players whose strategy is to play remote mine and spam the D key as fast as they can all the while merely bouncing off the walls. This is while the other players take maximum damage and the explodet only takes partial damage. I think there needs to be at least some connection in players minds that says: crashing into walls is bad. However, I am not offering the increase because I think that idea needs to be reinforced. I want the damage and bounce changed because I think people will like it better and it will create better games (with less people flopping around on the ground for 10-15 seconds at a time) without totally destroying the "fun arena" type environment.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vania View Post
If crashing is completely harmless new players just never learn, they start incorporating bouncyness into their playing style
I can attest to that... Granted I play 90% ball, so my habits are being reinforced almost every time I play, but it's definitely not a good thing. When I play tbd on a real server, or ball on my server that has hard walls, I always have more deaths due to walls than I should.
I was talking to people in game, and someone said that he wished there was a way for server admins to change the bouncy level of the walls. Instead of just bouncy or not, a scale from 1-100 or something would allow people to set their servers depending on who they're targeting and what game type they are playing. TDM players will probably want regular walls, but ball players would prefer something in between, I think.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

The problem with letting people adjust something like that is that you end up joining a server and having no idea what the walls will be like. Is it a 26, 55, or an 89? I think that we just need to find an optimal setting for bouncy and I think that right now it is far too bouncy and does too little damage.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:07 AM

Yeah I see your point to some extent. I think levels would still work, but maybe just 3 or 4 settings instead of a scale. It could be no bouncy, low, medium, high. Where there is currently an X to indicate bouncy or not it could just give the level. And after the update where it says you are in a bouncy server it could give the level of bounciness as well. Too many levels would lead to too much variability. This way you could have high bouncy for training and newbie servers, medium bouncy for fun servers, low bouncy for ball servers, and no bouncy for other servers.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:21 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

The problem with bouncy servers is they're not bouncy, they're completely ridiculous. They don't give out an equal reaction.

The damage from barely scraping a wall or from hurtling into it at max speed is exactly the same. That's the dumb part.

Make it a fraction of the damage, sure, but don't make it 0.1 damage for every single wall contact. That's why its so retarded; you don't even have to bother turning.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:19 PM

Perhaps bouncy is a little too bouncy. At least scale the damage somehow and/or increase the base damage given.

Seriously I haven't yet met a single person that appreciates the bouncyness of the servers and I've been playing on bouncy servers quite a lot.

Just get rid of the bouncy mode alreadys mmkay? It doesn't work. If someone crashes a lot then theres the bouncy perk.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:36 PM

Exactly. I don't see a need for bouncy servers coonsidering people who can't fly very well yet have rubber hull.

Bouncy servers were nice training wheels, but I think now it's time to remove them. When I log in, there's usually 1-2 non-boucny TBD servers full/half-full and a ton of bouncy servers with all game modes almost full. The majotiry of new players are playing in bouncy servers and that way they'll never become competitive players and that'll hurt the community.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:48 AM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCM View Post
Exactly. I don't see a need for bouncy servers coonsidering people who can't fly very well yet have rubber hull.

Bouncy servers were nice training wheels, but I think now it's time to remove them. When I log in, there's usually 1-2 non-boucny TBD servers full/half-full and a ton of bouncy servers with all game modes almost full. The majotiry of new players are playing in bouncy servers and that way they'll never become competitive players and that'll hurt the community.
Its not even about being a competitive player, its about being a player full-stop. Bouncy walls is like... some wierd kind of mutation of the main game.

But I guess if they're having fun, whatever, its just a pain that its hard to find a non-bouncy game.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkguava View Post
I always have more deaths due to walls than I should.
Yea that doesn't change...
Old 12-26-2009, 05:23 PM

Am i the only player who has an incredibly hard time finding a game on a non bouncy server?
Old 12-26-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FN]MONXY FIST View Post
Am i the only player who has an incredibly hard time finding a game on a non bouncy server?
No you're not.
If there's no one on official 1-3, there's like no chance there is a decent server with normal walls and with players in it.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

I realize we just had one of these threads not too long ago but one thing that I think is perpetuating the problem: I reinstalled the game recently and the default 'filter' was max players <= 20 and bouncy. I have a feeling most players never take a look at their filter and are therefore getting a massive list of bouncy servers with all of the normal ones tossed to the bottom. Unless we're going to have an official standard for gameplay, there's no reason to have a default filter beyond 'has players'. If the bouncy thing is going to be done for new players, at least have it change to unpreferred at a certain level. Most people are pretty unfamiliar with server browsers so anything that's set as default isn't going to be changed by a lot of players.

Last edited by Snowsickle; 12-26-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:31 PM

Whats a filter?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:52 PM

Yep, I thought everything was gonna change a couple patches back when rubber got buffed, but 90% of all servers are still bouncy :'(. Oh well.. if people enjoy it.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:23 PM

If bouncy is the auto filter then no wonder, so you filter out the normal servers and you're left with the noob servers
Old 12-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Now there's a bouncy proleague for some reason

Who's gonna play league matches on a bouncy server?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:22 PM

Its really tough for the euros. I lag slightly on all the american servers, and most of the normal non-bouncy servers like Euro official 1 haven't been updated so I can't play of them.

Can't lam to a reset thingy where the default is non-bouncy? :S I'm sure most people would appreciate that.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:40 AM

every time i play this game if i'm on a hard wall server someone always writes "I keep dying cause i'm used to bouncy walls!". Personally i try not to play on these bouncy servers but sometimes there are no other options because the few non bouncy servers are either full or theirs no one playing them

i think they are good servers for beginners but maybe they should be level capped so once you reach 60 there are less bouncy servers available and players are forced to get used to standard walls.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:30 PM

I'd love to play with hard walls but every hard room is perpetually empty.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
The problem with bouncy servers is they're not bouncy, they're completely ridiculous. They don't give out an equal reaction.

The damage from barely scraping a wall or from hurtling into it at max speed is exactly the same. That's the dumb part.
I think this is the core of the problem.

One thing that has not been pointed out yet: Bouncy has some strategical value in Ball, particularly in smaller clan matches. Killing an enemy often has little effect on the game, due to the short respawns and rapid game speed, yet disabling them and leaving them floundering on the ground gives a significant advantage, particularly during a defensive press. Such moves aren't possible with normal walls; and I believe the resultant continuous respawning contributes to the tendency for normal-wall Ball games to devolve into the chaos of TDM or the slower speed of TBD.

There's no question that that Bouncy needs to be modified from its present state -- the only question is how to change it. I think that altering its all-collisions-are-alike nature into something that responds differently to different speeds or orientations, such that clumsy flying leads to crash deaths while mild bumps remain mild, would remove the "training wheels" effect without also removing the Ball-specific strategies and the fun that many players enjoy.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 PM

I personally think that walls do the wrong amount of damage on both settings.

On normal walls do just a LITTLE bit too much, and should be reduced by 10% damage or so, and bouncy servers should be like, 20% the damage of walls on normal server, so you can't just flop around on the ground willy nilly.

thats just my 2 cents