Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Default General feedback

- Font in the awards screen is hideous.

- In general, lots of unpolished UI stuff still (for instance, the help text for the randomized plane selection thing looks a little too "windows standard" to me). I have no idea what's supposed to be done and what's not.

- Not fond of needing to press a button three times to change to a new plane.

- I think not having a traditional opening screen / main menu will really hurt the perceived professionalism of the game. I'd strongly advise adding this, or at least adding some company name / intro logo crap before you get to the menu.

- Ditto for not having music. Even if you object to in-game music, music on the menu would add a bit of polish. And if you want to be cute and sort of faux epic, just find a copyright-free version of Ride of the Valkyries (ignore your finals week hatred of the song and do it!)

- I think it's a good change, but holy **** is it confusing that the Bomber had the F/D functions switched.

- Bomber should maybe get renamed since it's no longer primarily a Bomber?

- Bomber with bombs seems pretty crappy still, esp since it can't hurt base now. Although it's actually kind of funny how no one expects this config so they'll fly right under you and get raped. :P Maybe crank the **** out of the rear turret in this mode? Or remove tracking from the standard grenade mode? Either way, I think making the turret on this one stronger than the grenadier makes a lot of sense.

- I think this was mentioned before, but the tutorial should be locked to Loopy. You get misleading instructions if you start it with another plane.

- The approach to red perks is very smart. Great way to add a ton of variety without needing to add art for additional planes. Also reduces the learning curve a bit for new users compared to adding more planes. So whoot.

- You should start a brainstorming thread for challenges!

- Explodet shrapnel perk would be cooler if it actually shot out bits of shrapnel on detonation. Also would help provide visual feedback.

- Runway still doesn't turn you around before you take off again.

- Add back Anti-Blank powerup! Seriously, I think it was a lot of fun... it was almost like it changed the level architecture dynamically.

- I'm probably the only one, but sometimes I'll think the wall is actually the missile in my inventory. Dunno why exactly, they don't look all that similar. Maybe de-blue the highlights on the missile?

- Mapchange window needs to vanish when you vote. Freaking annoying. I know you can press 5, but still.

- I'm not sure if I like locking the camera to your killer. It's cool at first, but then I want to watch the match.

- Might be nice to have a menu option to always display your perk icons at the top or bottom of the screen. Sometimes I'll forget which of 2 similar configs I'm using.

- Maybe move grenadier bounce to another plane's attack? Or have the bounce be one red perk and some other thing be the default? Generally though, I think the bounce will work better on a straight shot attack instead of a lob, otherwise you can't control it enougjh for it to be skill based. And the lob imo would be more fun / harder to use if it had more of a ballistic arc. I love both lob and bounce and want both in the game, but I think they're like ice cream and steak more than PB&J.

- The bots can actually fight now! Holy ****!

- Desktop icon still looks pixellated and crappy on Vista. (I'm sure all the TIGS guys are gasping at my anti-pixel sacrilege, but whatever. :P)

- Are there any official maps with pacman tunnels? If not, there should be!

- The user made maps are so much prettier than they used to be. You should have a pre-release mapping contest with a decent cash prize and shizzle. Put this talent to use.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, also...

- If this game ever gets really popular, you'll want a way to do friend invites or filter servers by friends.

- It'd be nice to be able to send offline messages to friends.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
- I'm probably the only one, but sometimes I'll think the wall is actually the missile in my inventory. Dunno why exactly, they don't look all that similar. Maybe de-blue the highlights on the missile?

- I'm not sure if I like locking the camera to your killer. It's cool at first, but then I want to watch the match.
-You're not the only one.

-Press C.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

another feedback dump:

- For the demo, I'd suggest capping player level at 1 less than what you need to unlock Bomber, but no other limitations. I think you had planned something like this anyway, but figured I'd give some specific feedback.

- Grenadier should take more damage from his own shots imo.

- Would be rad if Rubberized Hull actually increased elasticity of your plane so you'd bounce off further when you hit ****.

- bug: Bomber grenades now don't bounce off shields I think? I might be mistaken tho, need to test.

- Reverse thrust is really fun but doesn't seem very useful. Maybe make it take zero energy to use so you can reverse while firing?

- Grasslands clone seems a little short horizontally. I like that it's short, but lengthening it just a TEENSY bit would improve it I think.

- Bomb respawns too quickly on City TBD.

- Would be cool if it showed your killer's perks on follow.

- Shrapnel rocket isn't nearly as fun as default. Needs something to spice it up.

- Suggestion: currently the netcode is setup so that projectile hits are tracked by what the offensive player sees. I think an exception should be made for the bomb so that catching is always legit from the catcher's POV.

- I think official servers should be capped at 10-12 instead of 14 players. 7v7 is just too damn crazy.

- Triggering miranda afterburner thing twice in a row is too easy to do accidentally.

- Miranda has always felt a little weak to me. It does just fine in 1v1s obviously, but it can't kill people quickly enough to win FFAs or be a good defender.

- I miss a lot of the old awards. Especially most helpful/robbed and biggest killstealer. I also liked LVP, but I can understand why it was probably a good idea to remove it.

- Flexible Wings is a lot of fun and pretty useful in small-med games.

- I still think it'd be interesting to try a shorter ranged Loopy EMP so you can exploit the auto-detonate more easily. Maybe this could be a red perk (short range and more aoe)?

- bug: Sometimes if two ppl are tied for first, it'll say that one person is the winner and another is most deadly.

- Okay, you know what would be awesome? If ppl are tied for first in an FFA, if there was a sudden death 1 minute face off with just those players for REAL first. If there was another tie, it'd just keep going until the first kill after the time limit.

- I think the mines might eject too far now. They feel slightly OP and less fun to me than the old version. Mostly, I dislike how much less it emphasizes careful prepositioning to be effective with the Explodet in combat... and I don't just mean prepositioning of the mines. I mean of your whole plane - because you worry less about being chased, the overall dynamic has changed a bit.

- Leveling curve might be a little slow. Although progression speed feels good to me so far, I assume that new players are going to level a lot slower than I have. To fix this, I'd suggest adding a CoD4 style post-match "here's 100xp for participating!" and "here's 200xp for winning!" thing.

- Challenges for awards would be nice! (Get Most Deadly 1, 5, and 10 times for example.)
Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
- Reverse thrust is really fun but doesn't seem very useful. Maybe make it take zero energy to use so you can reverse while firing?
This would be awesome.

Quote:
- I miss a lot of the old awards. Especially most helpful/robbed and biggest killstealer.
Agree.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 AM

Location: iowa... doesn't matter no ones heard of any iowa towns anyway

i third the missing of the old awards. it feels only 2 maybe 3 people out of 14 get any
Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirtz View Post
i third the missing of the old awards. it feels only 2 maybe 3 people out of 14 get any
Yea the problem with the 4 that are shown is that they're all tied together. Huge kill streak? Grats on most kills. Demolished the base? You also win mvp unless that other guy was really killing.

Kamikaze, while a nice stat to know, should probably be phased out if the stat screen is going to be kept as simple as it is now. If someone faceplanted ground and shot himself all game he knows it, and some people would probably rather keep it on the down low. Eliminating it would free up a slot for "most assists," "most bomb diffuses," or in ffas "most kill stolen" or "most kills lost." You know, some useful things that are somewhat accomplishments or worth bragging about instead of indicating you need some virtual prozac.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM

Most assists would be pretty cool. Especially in team games, it might encourage more people to pick the planes/strategies that cover a big area but rarely deliver the killing blow.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 PM

also something else I'd like to see changed is an easier way to send private messages.

Right now its a pain to type out /whisper <name> <message> over and over again. I know a lot of you have experience with WoW and there's a lot of free buttons, so it'd be nice to see something like *r* is reply and *shift+r* is to send a message to the same person you just messaged. Even further, could you just shorten /whisper to /w

Also, adding friends is kind of weird right now too. You need either their email or account ID? why not just user id?

If any of these features are already implemented, my bad. Just call me an idiot and educate me
Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smushface View Post
also something else I'd like to see changed is an easier way to send private messages.

Right now its a pain to type out /whisper <name> <message> over and over again. I know a lot of you have experience with WoW and there's a lot of free buttons, so it'd be nice to see something like *r* is reply and *shift+r* is to send a message to the same person you just messaged. Even further, could you just shorten /whisper to /w

Also, adding friends is kind of weird right now too. You need either their email or account ID? why not just user id?

If any of these features are already implemented, my bad. Just call me an idiot and educate me
/r is the current shortcut for reply and you can add friends by pressing tab ingame and clicking on their name and clicking "Add as friend".

I do think the dropdown box that you get when you click on a name ingame should include an option to whisper them though. Just an extra measure of convenience.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Also, I think you can type /w and that works just fine. One secret of using all command lines is tab completion. Just hit tab in the middle of writing a command to see it in action. For instance typing "/w sno"+<tab> would fill out to "/w Snowsickle".
Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 PM

strangely enough, if you type "/w arg"+<tab> it fills out "/w Ugly". I assume this is working as intended though.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:01 AM

The swear filter should asterisk through usernames, too.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Administrator

if someone is your friend you can click their name on the scoreboard and there is a "whisper user blah" shortcut which opens the chat dialog with text typed in of "/w blah "
Old 02-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triped View Post
The swear filter should asterisk through usernames, too.
screen shot or location of nicknames not being filtered please.

only console commands shouldn't show nicknames filtered.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
screen shot or location of nicknames not being filtered please.

only console commands shouldn't show nicknames filtered.
I don't have one, but I swear some guy was flying around named "suckmydick" or something close.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 PM

it's something like canismellurdick
Old 02-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Administrator

i just checked and even console filters names o_O. So get a screen capture next time.