Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:00 AM

Default A NEW player's ideas. (Long)

Edit: 40 views and no posts, I think nobody likes the ideas o.O

But I've always been a fan of open air, extreme combat situations in games- withOUT player involvement!

Let me explain.
Oblivion, for instance, has a world that functions completely without input of the player. Wolfs will hunt deer, hunters will hunt wolves, and monsters will hunt the hunters, and so on.

You don't have to input anything for this to happen though!
Which, I think, is cool. (I've always liked 'god style' games where you influence the world- or not. And stuff still happens. One of my favorite examples is when someone steals in Assassins Creed, and the guards will take him down.)

So, why can't we introduce 3rd party effects into the game?

This means more game modes! (Wee!) And, possibly, a single player campaign? (Making it halo 3 style where your buddies can join in and help out would be great.)

So this is what I propose.

NEW MODES:
-> Piracy*
-> 3TD*
-> Behemoth Mode*
-> Hunt*

NEW ENVIRONMENT:
-> Drafts*
-> Rain/Snow/Hurricane/Lightning~
-> Tumbling Rocks^~
-> Pass-Through's~

NEW SPECIAL ABILITES:
-> Drones*
-> Wingman *
-> Nitro*

NEW PERKS:
-> Tinkering
-> Wingman*
Objects marked with a * incorporate a 3rd party AI.
Objects marked with a ^ are simply things I'd think would be cool for the game.
Objects marked with a ~ are environmental. (I'll explain later.)

So, now to explain!

NEW MODES:
Piracy!
Pirates are fun! They're also deadly. (This would be a good campaign idea.) This mode would have all the players matched up against the pirates, (Alternate: Some players side with pirates) and each player (Excluding pirates) has 10 lives. The goal of the game is to survive a set amount of minutes with at least 1 life left! Pirates have unlimited lives, yet take 20 seconds to respawn, and cannot get Kill bars. (I dont know what they are, but those bars you get for killing other people- in bronze silver and gold) All pirate planes have a 5% reduction in all stats- because they are pirates and don't have top notch planes!
--This mode is kind of dumb. I'm just throwin it out there anyway.

3TD:
Simply have a third team in Team Deatchmatch.

Behemoth Mode:
Behemoth mode is one I'm actually excited about. In Behemoth, the game is similer to Team Base Destruction. But with a twist- ever notice the bases have propellers? Well in Behemoth mode, one team's base is flying about! Yea! MOVING! And another team is attempting to shoot it down. (Its attack/defense, but i guess you can make the other teams Base fly too- but that'd be complicated!)
How it works is, instead of bombing, you would attack the base as if it were any other plane. However, in order to kill it, you must destroy the 4 propellers on the flying base. It should be noted that destroying all the propellers won't mean you win- it just means the base cannot fly. For instance, say the base has 5000 health. Each propeller is 'worth' 1000 health. When all 4 are gone, that leaves 1000 hp left- so you actually have to attack it with your own plane. But, it's stranded on wherever it landed.

So thats the goal of the attackers- the defenders are simpler. Survive.
The base must survive at least x amount of minutes, (This is a LOT like pirate mode, in fact I'd prefer this over pirate mode), The base has 4 turrets- 2 on the top, 1 on each end, and one on the bottom. They are not as powerful as the ones you would find in a normal base destruction map (Since these turrets are moving with the base, that'd be amazingly unfair- you cant use the terrain as easily) The defenders also spawn at the base, instead of a predetermined spawn point. Landing on the base itself will repair your plane to 105% health, and restore 110% energy. These additional bonuses will only last 10 seconds- so it's really only useful to defend- briefly.

Maps would have to be created- a lot bigger than ever before- to allow for the huge base to fly about. I would recommend against 2 flying bases because of the map size required. The base itself cannot fire- the turrets upon it can, however.

HUNT:
1 plane becomes the hunted, the rest of the players become the hunters.
The hunted plane has a 20% boost to maneuverability, 15% boost to speed, and a 10% boost to energy stores, and a 5% boost to energy regeneration. Killing the hunted plane will turn YOU into the hunted plane, instantly restoring all your health and energy and bestowing those buffs on you. The hunted plane has a animation around him/her to show everyone who it is- (Si miler to that yellow globe around your plane when you spawn)- but will not show on the side of the screen where you are. (Like where the bomb carrier is- that would make it too easy)
Whoever lasts the longest in total time as the hunted wins!

~~~NEW ENVIRONMENT~~~
DRAFT:
Drafts are a HUGE part of flying in real life- if you catch a updraft you can easily gain altitude and soar, or a downdraft will push your plane down at sudden speeds. Planes also leave wakes, which can affect your flying.

So I propose we incorporate a version of this! For about 8 seconds or so at a random part of maps, a draft animation (Think flowing lines, faint white, with arrows at which direction) will appear. Flying into this will propel your plane into that direction- Allowing for gaining altitude without afterburning, or preforming amazing dives. However, if you fly INTO it- as in the wrong direction- you will lose momentum very fast. So a up/down side. You can even, *MAYBE* have currents? A long, slightly noticeable boost along a path?

This would be something that could be checked on/off, like bouncy walls.
If you want to get realistic, you can make drafts and currents invisible, so you'd have to be paying attention to notice and take advantage of them. (Maybe a perk will let you see them? Idk)

RAIN/SNOW/ETC
If it rains, it pours. Reduces visibility, accuracy, speed, etc.
Snow is the same thing.
Those two are boring and for elitest people- but It think Lightning storms or hurricanes/tornadoes would be funny.
If you fly into a storm cloud, you have a chance to get struck and get a EMP burst and some damage on your plane!
Or a hurricane would force you into a stall, or whatever.

Again, this would be a option to check on/off. (It could also be purely cosmetic)

TUMBLING ROCKS

If you fire a missile at a rock- it cracks. (In the asteroid field map for instance)
If a rock takes too much damage, it'll break apart into 2, or 5, or 4, pieces, which can be good or bad. Good to make your own escape route, or to make an ambush, bad if you get nailed by it.

On/off. This would be annoying, prolly, so I dont expect to see it.

PASS-THROUGHS
Say there is a tree. Say , in the middle, it splits into two new trees. Why shouldnt you be able to fly in between those trees? Essentially, Im asking for more cover- like the clouds in the Hills map- that partially or completely obscure your plane as you traverse through something. Would make for great sneak attacks.

~~~NEW SPECIAL ABILITIES~~~~
There needs to be more powerups! The ones we have are great, but some new ones would be fantastic.

DRONES:
When you get this powerup, a small (cosmetic) pack of drones will follow your plane for 20 seconds- healing you. However, the difference between the health boost we have now is that if you get it at full health- they'll still be in effect, allowing you to fly into battle with a heal over time. (Slight, but there.) It has 60% reduced effect while afterburning.

WINGMAN:
This rare powerup will create a mini-version of your plane at your side, and will fly, shoot, and mirror your movements with you. It does 75% less damage than you do, (If your Biplane deals 100 damage with its machine gun, then the wingman does 50) and has 80% less health. (You have 100, he has 20). He sticks around until
A) Until Killed?
B) set amount of time (One, or both, might work.)

He 'dies' not by being shot at, but as a link style of damage.
Let me explain.
If you take 100 damage, 50% of that damage will 'splash' onto your wingman. (You take full damage) Since 50% of 100 is 50, if thats more than your wingmans health, he dies. (Or, maybe even you die too!) Healing effects do NOT affect your wingman.

NITRO:
Several ways of doing this:
1) Your afterburner uses 50% less energy for 10 seconds
2) You are given a separate nitro bar that will burn out first BEFORE draining your energy (You cannot use your weapons while nitro-boosting, even if you have full 'normal' energy) This separate bar will remain with you until you use it all up.
3) Your given 10 seconds of free afterburner that takes place immediately after picking up the powerup, that doesn't affect your energy.

~~~NEW PERKS~~~
Wingman:
If wingman ISNT made into a powerup- you can use it as a perk! It will replace the BLUE perk- and have a permanent wingman at your side. Since its a perk, the wingman will have 45% of your health instead of 25%, does the same amount of damage- (25% of yours) and only takes 30% 'splash damage' instead of 50. Healing affects your wingman, but at a considerably slower pace.

Tinkering:
You've tinkered with your plane, giving your own custom parts and fixes, increases the speed by 10%, the maneuverability by 10%, the damage by 10%, and the energy regeneration speed by 10%, but at a cost- you can longer pickup powerups.
This means you cannot pickup health powerups (The ones you get from killing players still work), and you cannot carry the bomb, or use a shield/missile/wall. The %'s can be modified, thats just a base. This would change your GREEN perk.

Well, these are all ideas. Most of them are terrible, but hopefully they will spark newer, more refined ones!
Questions, comments, flaming, etc would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by Reach; 01-03-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added a note
Old 01-03-2010, 06:40 PM

After experimenting with the map editor, I realize half of these environmental things would be impossible- in the sense that I envisioned them. (They would be workarounds, but that isn't the same.)

Sorry for the ignorance bit :x
Old 01-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Cool Ideas be great if the game was 3d alwsome
Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 PM

I think 3d would make the game lose its charm :/
Old 01-03-2010, 10:06 PM

A Nitro powerup of some variety could be fun.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 PM

it's easy to make cover with clouds.

If you just put on one cloud in map editor, it's pretty see through and doesn't provide cover...but if you put like 5 cloud graphics over top of each other, it makes it look solid so you can't see through them. adjust how many graphics you stack on top of each other for differing levels of invisibility/solidness
Old 01-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by as red as black View Post
it's easy to make cover with clouds.

If you just put on one cloud in map editor, it's pretty see through and doesn't provide cover...but if you put like 5 cloud graphics over top of each other, it makes it look solid so you can't see through them. adjust how many graphics you stack on top of each other for differing levels of invisibility/solidness
That might be the worst advice on the forums I have seen in a while. Are you serious with this or is this some kind of joke?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
That might be the worst advice on the forums I have seen in a while. Are you serious with this or is this some kind of joke?
Wait, am I at fault or is Red?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Nesl was referring to red. You can set the transparency of stuff in the map editor so you don't need to overlay multiple clouds to get a certain level of see-through-ness.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:54 PM

if you manipulate stats alot the game turns into an rpg.

this game is supposed to be fast-paced fun and simplicity. other than that i love your ideas
Old 01-03-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsbro View Post
Nesl was referring to red. You can set the transparency of stuff in the map editor so you don't need to overlay multiple clouds to get a certain level of see-through-ness.
haha....then I've wasted a lot of time....
Old 01-03-2010, 11:22 PM

OMG. SUGGESTIONS PEOPLE. NOT GAME CHANGING SCENARIOS. I like the game modes, butnothing else.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrent View Post
if you manipulate stats alot the game turns into an rpg.

this game is supposed to be fast-paced fun and simplicity. other than that i love your ideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
OMG. SUGGESTIONS PEOPLE. NOT GAME CHANGING SCENARIOS. I like the game modes, butnothing else.

I got carried away, sorry xD

Last edited by Reach; 01-04-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 AM

i think the weather changes and the drafts would make the game better, other than that i dont think anything else would fit the Altitude theme.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Agree with spc. The weather stuff could be a fun new dynamic in the game, however, I'm not sure if it would be possible without changing the game engine.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 PM

Default Tinkering

I like the tinkering suggestion, where your attributes are increased but you can't get powerups--tough I've only had the game for a day so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:32 PM

I like the hunt mode and th environment effects (draft, rain, snow, etc.)

You should be able to get a speed boost from flying behind another plane (enemy or friendly) like in mario kart wii and newer. Or does that draft effect only work on the ground?

And about the tunmbling rocks, only select few strategic rocks should be destroyable (and then REALLY hard to destroy- maybe with bombs only) because otherwise you'd just have to shoot a path straight to the enemy base, have virtually no cover left in the map, and the game would be no fun.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 AM

thanks for the feedback
Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 AM

Location: longest spear =====================================================================================>

I like Behemoth and Hunt. he drafts and weather changes sound kinda cool too. I don't know how they would work out though. WHAT IS IT WITH OBAMA AND 3D-NESS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:46 AM

idk i just spoke my mind XD
Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 PM

Love the weather effects idea, thought I was being creative when I thought up my suggestions, guess everything has been done before and if not, then it's something crazy and unconventional anyway
Old 02-22-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
I like the hunt mode and th environment effects (draft, rain, snow, etc.)

You should be able to get a speed boost from flying behind another plane (enemy or friendly) like in mario kart wii and newer. Or does that draft effect only work on the ground?

And about the tunmbling rocks, only select few strategic rocks should be destroyable (and then REALLY hard to destroy- maybe with bombs only) because otherwise you'd just have to shoot a path straight to the enemy base, have virtually no cover left in the map, and the game would be no fun.
Nope. if you tried to "draft" a plane you would get propwash. No, not the user. It would make you stall which could be a good idea for the game. Too close to someone and you stall.