Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RESOLVED: Important Notice Regarding Recent PMs

Hi everyone, just a quick heads up:

A Private Message was recently sent from the user "Lady_Admin" to many forum members with the subject, "Important message from the forum administration." If you have received this PM, do not click on the link, as it seems to link to a site attempting to spread Malware to unsuspecting users. Hopefully we caught it before it had a chance to reach too many people.

We're looking into it and the user has been banned, but as a general rule it's never a good idea to click on links from people you've never heard of.
Edit: My link only sends you to the Wikipedia page on Malware, no need to be frightened! :P

Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the current situation.

Last edited by Pieface; 01-13-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to VeRiTaS Send a message via Skype™ to VeRiTaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
Hi everyone, just a quick heads up:

A Private Message was recently sent from the user "Lady_Admin" to many forum members with the subject, "Important message from the forum administration." If you have received this PM, do not click on the link, as it seems to link to a site attempting to spread Malware to unsuspecting users.

We're looking into it and the user has been banned, but as a general rule it's never a good idea to click on links from people you've never heard of.

Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the current situation!
Thx for the head's up...
For now I still didn't get that pm...I know what to do about it but anyway lets hope or anyone else doesn't get it
Old 01-13-2010, 11:58 PM

Thanks Pieface. Haven't received the PM either, but I'll post here if I get one.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

I'm going to add a generic post to this:

A lot of spam-bot/advertising/malware programs have taken to writing forum posts and sending out private messages under the guise of an administrator. If you receive something like this, check the list of forum moderators HERE. If the message isn't coming from one of the people listed there, report it to a moderator and delete it. It would be a good idea to judge the content of the message as well. Odds are good that moderators will not be mass private messaging the forum to relay a message - we are all capable of adding announcements or sticky posts as necessary.

Last edited by Snowsickle; 01-14-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Update: The PMs that this user sent have now been deleted, so I'm going to go ahead and unsticky this thread (thank you to who ever stuck it in the first place) since nobody will have this particular PM in their inbox anymore.

As Snowsickle pointed out, these spam bots/malware/advertising programs are taken very seriously. Should anyone receive a PM in the future that obviously relates to one of these issues the best thing to do would be to report it and then promptly delete the message.

We appreciate your support as we try to keep the forums a safe place for everyone!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 AM

It really IS a shame that something like that's already infiltrated the ranks of the ALty forums...must mean we're pretty reputable :P
Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 PM

Location: longest spear =====================================================================================>

I got something like that about the 'dangers of online pharmacys'
wtf?
did any1 else get that?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:49 PM

Yeah, I got that message too.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 PM

Just a heads up -- I received one this morning from "LadyROOT"