Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > News
FAQ Community Calendar

News Read announcements and change logs here.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Default Altitude Promotional Image

We're thinking about creating some new Altitude "box art" for advertisement on gaming sites and display on the Steam store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/41300/

Please check out the rough concepts attached. Which design do you like more? Which look (plane flying into camera versus looking over shoulder of plane) do you think would best pique the curiosity of new players?

Have an idea of your own? Create a quick sketch and post it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg altitude1a_small.jpg (74.4 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg altitude2a_small.jpg (63.8 KB, 309 views)
Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

The first. It's a bit hard to tell what the second one is, though you can certainly figure it out. Still, images are powerful, and you want the one that immediately grabs people. Nice artwork btw!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I agree, the first one is far superior! I really like it.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

I like #1 better, it'll read better on the small version I think.

another option would be to just replace the chick with a more appealing character. like maybe a crazed old man aviatar who's basically perched up on his feet, cackling madly with his hands on the controls. picturing something that basically looks like peter chung (aeon flux, phantom 2040) drew it.

pic attached for reference/inspiration. :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aviator guy.jpg (15.3 KB, 206 views)
Old 01-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Hmm, it's a bit of a toss up. The first one is pretty obvious and powerful but the second one is slightly more clever and intense. For marketing purposes though the first one is probably best as it's immediately identifiable with the game: full image of the plane, iconic ruined city backdrop from main menu, clear dogfighting going on.

From a purely aesthetic point of view I prefer the second though. But it's a functional piece so go for 1.

edit: It struck me that the two images could be used together as a front/back combo. The second image being the over-the-shoulder view from the attacking plane in the first image. Just an idea.

Last edited by chihuahua; 01-23-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:14 PM

First is best, second is too cramped.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:27 PM

Location: a little bit about CCN: he is 22 yrs old, blonde hair blue eyes, athletic build, great smile/persona

First one!

And the chick should become a hard as nails ace with aviator sunglasses.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Agree that the first one's much better, it's far easier to identify what's going on and associate it with the game.

I'd try to sketch something up, but it would end up looking more like a box than box art so I probably shouldn't even try.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Needs moar randa...

Ahem, anyway, I think both are good, but as previously said, the first one would be better for marketing purposes imo.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Love the first one!
Although the second one isn't bad either..
You should make a comic strip

These images will represent the game a lot better than the current one.
But, what about the girl though?
You should add more images of her and have her as a mascot in-game, perhaps as a training instructor and some form of announcer on the main menu, this game could use some more characters, at the moment it's rather anonymous, images of pilots and such can bring it to life and people will more easily relate to it.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Not like it needs to be said again at this point, but I agree, picture one is better. Picture two has far too much depth for a small image, especially considering that the bulk of the action is occurring in the distant background.

That said, kind of playing off of what sinstar said, I don't think it would be a bad idea to at least throw in one or two different planes, or at least some weaponry symbolizing them. For instance, where the crazy slashthrough half moon is, you could have a bomber dropping a couple of bombs somewhere in the middle ground of the image. Additionally, instead of just bullets whizzing around, maybe you could include a loopy rocket or two and maybe even a Miranda trickster shot (a laser would probably be too much of a visual distraction to exist in the middleground or background, but the internet loves lasers. Maybe a laser digging into the wing of the bip?). Finally, you could draw a mine floating near the bottom right of the image in the middle or background.

In my mind, this would illustrate that there are more playable planes than just the biplane (the bomber in this case) and would further show the different kinds of munitions which further illustrate the use of other planes.

Imo, where the altitude advertisements have failed in the past is being too biplane-centric. The sad fact is that there are a lot of side-scrolling biplane flash games in the world, and most of them suck. Many gamers have tried a couple in the past, typically leaving the game unsatisfied. When I see these advertisements, I think biplane, I don't think altitude. In marketing, the breadth of the experience will get people intrigued (options of planes, play modes, etc), not the depth (how crazy good you could become with the biplane some day). It might be worth considering multiple images, with each image focusing on different planes. For advertisement purposes on a larger scale, if people see multiple ads featuring different planes, I think their interest would be piqued more than just seeing one biplane ad over and over. Again, this is just my opinion, but I think it makes some solid sense.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:02 PM

second one. it shows you more the action in a game. it shows you what happens. it shows you the gameplay of the biplane since these shots have to hit good.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Going to agree that the first one; I think the use of the lost city parallax makes the background look much less bland. Overall the detail seems to be at a better point - I feel like there isn't enough detailed shading in the second.

I can't quite place it but the concept of a biplane picking off a target and flying away with pursuers hot on his trail is just much more compelling than approaching a target guns blazing. Probably the same desire that makes people love pursuits in movies so much.

EDIT: A second look reveals that the plane dying in the background is actually a blue plane as well. I feel like "blue plane kills enemy plane in a strafing run and flies away with a bunch of pissed off enemy planes on his tail" is a more compelling situation, personally.

Last edited by Snowsickle; 01-23-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 PM

Gotta go with the second one, simply because dogfighting in a narrow canyon at top speed is like one of the coolest things I can imagine. Looking over the shoulder of the plane also gives it a more personalized feel, which I appreciate a lot more simply because it's easier to identify with.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Well, we probably shouldn't jduge them on their level of detail since a real artist is going to go in and make it so either is very well executed technically
Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

I guess I was under the impression that was one of the differences we were going for - detailed and chaotic versus smooth and simple. If the second image requires significantly more refining/detail by an artist to be presentable it might not be terribly fair to judge from these two images. If we're judging the concepts alone, I'm still all in favor of the first.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 PM

More planes in different colors would definitely be a huge plus.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:45 PM

Adding a randa or explodet would show the odder looking planes, which I think would get more attention.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodadotus View Post
Adding a randa or explodet would show the odder looking planes, which I think would get more attention.
Nah, I disagree, the randa looks to sci-fi..
People won't know what to expect when it comes to gameplay.

For the people interested in aviation the biplane, loopy or bomber would be the most appealing ones.
And there's nothing that says 'Dogfight' better than a biplane in action, because people can relate to it.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyManatee View Post
Not like it needs to be said again at this point, but I agree, picture one is better. Picture two has far too much depth for a small image, especially considering that the bulk of the action is occurring in the distant background.

That said, kind of playing off of what sinstar said, I don't think it would be a bad idea to at least throw in one or two different planes, or at least some weaponry symbolizing them. For instance, where the crazy slashthrough half moon is, you could have a bomber dropping a couple of bombs somewhere in the middle ground of the image. Additionally, instead of just bullets whizzing around, maybe you could include a loopy rocket or two and maybe even a Miranda trickster shot (a laser would probably be too much of a visual distraction to exist in the middleground or background, but the internet loves lasers. Maybe a laser digging into the wing of the bip?). Finally, you could draw a mine floating near the bottom right of the image in the middle or background.

In my mind, this would illustrate that there are more playable planes than just the biplane (the bomber in this case) and would further show the different kinds of munitions which further illustrate the use of other planes.

Imo, where the altitude advertisements have failed in the past is being too biplane-centric. The sad fact is that there are a lot of side-scrolling biplane flash games in the world, and most of them suck. Many gamers have tried a couple in the past, typically leaving the game unsatisfied. When I see these advertisements, I think biplane, I don't think altitude. In marketing, the breadth of the experience will get people intrigued (options of planes, play modes, etc), not the depth (how crazy good you could become with the biplane some day). It might be worth considering multiple images, with each image focusing on different planes. For advertisement purposes on a larger scale, if people see multiple ads featuring different planes, I think their interest would be piqued more than just seeing one biplane ad over and over. Again, this is just my opinion, but I think it makes some solid sense.

I agree with you why don't you have all the planes lined up side by side and the view would look like your looking from the sideline but do it so you can see all the planes and then make all the planes shoot one shot but im no artist and i love the 1st pic btw and the second one but i prefer the 1st one and thats lost city isnt it ?

Last edited by asparagus; 04-18-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Much more action in the 2nd pic!
Over the sholder cam, puts me there... almost inside the plane, 1 step away - registration
You can always join those 2! Main problem, is the exact angle choice of the one closer to the viewer - takes too much room. Maybe inside cockpit, showing the panels...
Old 04-20-2010, 02:27 AM

the pictures clearly suggests that recoiless/dogfighter primary weapon should be two long range machine guns instead of one
Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZidaneTribal View Post
the pictures clearly suggests that recoiless/dogfighter primary weapon should be two long range machine guns instead of one
would be paradise huh?
=p
Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrad View Post
Maybe inside cockpit, showing the panels...
A panel would make Altitude look more complicated than it is...
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DryBone

woot 2nd pic though I agree that adding some other planes will kinda give an impression of variety of planes
Old 04-21-2010, 11:55 AM

`Yeah, also from a purely marketing perspective, a miranda seems to catch the attention a lot more, of course first off a biplane looks awesome and actually my preferred from a retro into modern bespoke sense. Miranda is just cool, and people see an alien plane warping over a baron runescape, they get excited. At least i do, lawl.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:14 AM

Default Promo Image

Nice concept art. I think image no. 1 wins. Focus is on the foreground plane with plenty of (tumbling?) bullets. Consider the large bright sun in the top left carefully, as too much yellow will pull the viewers eye away from the blue of the plane quite easily. Maybe occlude it behind a building slightly letting you do overglow and HDR effects?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 PM

this is post was very old. wassup with da gravegdigging?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiseki View Post
Love the first one!
Although the second one isn't bad either..
You should make a comic strip

These images will represent the game a lot better than the current one.
But, what about the girl though?
You should add more images of her and have her as a mascot in-game, perhaps as a training instructor and some form of announcer on the main menu, this game could use some more characters, at the moment it's rather anonymous, images of pilots and such can bring it to life and people will more easily relate to it.
Sure some more characters but get rid of the girl. She completely throws people of, they don't know what to expect. but yeah the 1st on.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
Sure some more characters but get rid of the girl. She completely throws people of, they don't know what to expect. but yeah the 1st on.
i expected a flying game. thats what i got. the girl was simply to get people to play imo
Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
i expected a flying game. thats what i got. the girl was simply to get people to play imo
She annoys me.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
We're thinking about creating some new Altitude "box art" for advertisement on gaming sites and display on the Steam store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/41300/

Please check out the rough concepts attached. Which design do you like more? Which look (plane flying into camera versus looking over shoulder of plane) do you think would best pique the curiosity of new players?

i like the second also~

is it just me or is there 2 blues killing each other in the 1st one or are they being shot down by someone no shone?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 AM

Why are people still posting in this thread? It looks like the devs have already chosen a variation of the first image :0
Old 05-18-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
we're thinking about creating some new altitude "box art" for advertisement on gaming sites and display on the steam store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/41300/

please check out the rough concepts attached. Which design do you like more? Which look (plane flying into camera versus looking over shoulder of plane) do you think would best pique the curiosity of new players?

amzing artwork nice job
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 PM

First imo.