Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Clan Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

Clan Organization Clan recruiting and other things clans want publicized.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
I respect your intentions and your want to use social norms to gain respect, it may almost be a complete necessity.
It's not really about gaining respect; A clan or other group I form and lead is not a way to gain an ego boost for me. I'm merely trying to build up a community around a game that I like with people that are like-minded enough for me to have fun with them. That's why my clans/guilds/groups etc tend to concentrate far more on how people behave and work together than how good they are. Of course depending on the game there might be certain requirements on game skill too, such as in Altitude we require that the players also are able to hold up our team in tournaments and leagues, but it is still secondary to me to the fact that I want to have a group that I can have fun with. After all I'm into gaming generally more from a "lets just do what feels natural and have fun" point of view than a "lets win and get our fun from that" standpoint, although I've also played certain games strictly from a winning standpoint.

Quote:
I'm also pretty sure you also realize someone is going to be offended basically all the time just because.
Yes, people get upset from basically anything, so common sense needs to be applied of course.

Quote:
I just hope you realize the difference between being respectful and being scared/neglectful of the people who trust you to leas ability to speak. While this may not apply to this clan in this moment it definitely applies to say, censoring episodes due to some ridiculous offensiveness and the following threat to violence, or threatening death to Danish cartoonists for drawing a comic.
Yeah, I see where you are coming from, and I can assure you that I'm not after a "don't say anything anywhere because it might offend someone" culture. I also understand your concerns for freedom of speach, but it's not something that occupies my mind a lot since I luckily live in a country where we have rarely even a minor situation where we'd need to concern ourselves with freedom of speech issues in our daily lives. In Finland we just don't have these kinds of issues and thus we take freedom of speech for granted. That's not the situation in a large part of the world and its sometimes a bit hard to remember that in day to day communication with others, who really need to think about these things in their daily lives.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:39 PM

To think so far we had managed to keep this thread tidy and all. And now it's the place to debate on freedom of speech. Are you happy now micro ?

TG, while I agree with you, I'm not sure a pub server is a great sample to measure society's dignity. Half of the people there aren't even caring about the ball, so I wouldn't count on them to pay much attention to a player's nickname.
On the other hand, if you want, I'm available 24/7 to go on a crusade on the misuse of the word "gay" by kids these days. Something has to be done. Preferably violence, but I'll try your "education" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN
Meh, I don't understand this.
It's not fun to make fun of blacks but okay to make fun of other stuff?
I don't think humor was the problem there. Throwing the n-word in the air doesn't make it a joke. It can be funny, but as it was just there in a nickname it was more in the really private joke area. After all, it's just insulting someone. If you know the person, s/he might find it funny; if you don't, your nose has really high chances to bleed. So I'm not sure you can draw a parallel to censorship, Muhammed and scientology. Plus, I really want to live this year, please don't do that.

All in all, the most disappointing in all this is that the drama was solved in half a day. Someone has to pay for it. Which is why the Council has gathered and unanimously decided that D4rt must be kicked. Sorry pal but you are the weak link, please hand us your torch slowly so that we can extinguish it.

Last edited by Sunaku; 05-12-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Aren't you all making a storm in a glass of water? As far as I can tell, {arr} members are always polite and very well behaved on public server, even the supposed offender, _micro, I've played with him dozens of times and I have only good things to say about him. It seems to me this is getting blown out of proportion.
Forget this and go play ball, that's what we like to see you do.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:53 PM

Old 05-12-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaku View Post
All in all, the most disappointing in all this is that the drama was solved in half a day. Someone has to pay for it. Which is why the Council has gathered and unanimously decided that D4rt must be kicked. Sorry pal but you are the weak link, please hand us your torch slowly so that we can extinguish it.
I... I see...
Old 05-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Yet i'm sure you would agree this goes to far sometimes.
Muhammads picture, Scientology's sensitivity to being called a cult (which they are).

So the question I ask you is where do we draw the line, I would like to draw it at logic (I.E. Nigger can be hurtful in certain situations but a cult should be labeled one reguardless of how hurt they are by it) but most people lack logical thinking (or the use of it) outside of the small set that is their job. Maybe a line can't be drawn, really, in something that is so fluid. But I believe as long as we can accept sometimes in the aim to not offend we go to far in limited speech (and freedom of it) we can avoid pushing too far into limiting speech for inane reasons.

et tu Tg?
Yep, I agree with you. =)
Old 05-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Which is why the Council has gathered and unanimously decided that D4rt must be kicked. Sorry pal but you are the weak link, please hand us your torch slowly so that we can extinguish it.
D4rt is finally free to join {ball}. YESSSSSSS!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlopes View Post
Aren't you all making a storm in a glass of water?
I thought we were just having a nice conversation about freedom of speech and stuff, not having a storm. I don't see a single heated or provocative post up there.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:06 PM

I kinda tangented the whole drama thing to talk about a more general issue, I'm not trying to blow it out of proportion into a drama llama but more to discuss an issue that I think is pertinent to the world today (omg I sound like a nerd), though if you meant other people shame on them
Old 05-12-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
D4rt is finally free to join {ball}. YESSSSSSS!!!
{ball}D4rt

I like it.

Very much.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Are you all at work or something?
All this posting but no one on to ball ladder!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Somehow, D4rt's answer following Vesuvius' drawing makes it hilarious.
We need a happier version for flag !

And it's ok CCN, I guess we were lucky you didn't want to talk about how Earth is overpopulated and we will need 3 more planets to make it.

Quote:
Aren't you all making a storm in a glass of water? As far as I can tell, {arr} members are always polite and very well behaved on public server, even the supposed offender, _micro, I've played with him dozens of times and I have only good things to say about him. It seems to me this is getting blown out of proportion.
Forget this and go play ball, that's what we like to see you do.
Don't you see Gemi ? The guy just said we pirates are always polite and very well behaved. If it's not a declaration of war, I don't know what is.
We will make you regret those words buddy, as we have a new wonderfully annoyingly threatening player, by the name of D4rt. Please welcome him as he should be.

Sorry {ball] you were too slow, as always I might add.
Eat that.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemigemi View Post
I thought we were just having a nice conversation about freedom of speech and stuff, not having a storm. I don't see a single heated or provocative post up there.
You're kicking people because of this, that's what I call a storm in a glass of water (meaning blowing things out of proportion). I've been a fan on {arr} (god players, nice attitude, contribution to the community, etc...), and it's sad to see this happen.

EDIT: Ok, got it. It was all a joke.

Last edited by mlopes; 05-12-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Are you all at work or something?
I surely am, no altitude for me for the next few hours.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
You're kicking people because of this, that's what I call a storm in a glass of water (meaning blowing things out of proportion). I've been a fan on {arr} (god players, nice attitude, contribution to the community, etc...), and it's sad to see this happen.

EDIT: Ok, got it. It was all a joke.
We wouldn't kick anyone. Maybe keelhaul them. Or make them walk the plank. But never kick. It's hard enough trying just to stand with a wooden leg.

Last edited by D4rt; 05-12-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rt View Post
keelhaul
Alright, that's enough. I can't take it anymore. The guy made me open a dictionary. Lethal mistake rookie, you're on my kill-on-sight list.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
We will make you regret those words buddy
I kill you!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:

And please, please everyone, just ignore Kuja. He's being a troll and it's beyond annoying. He really wants attention, so it's best to just not respond (as tough as that sometimes is).
While I have been quite lazy with my picture posting as we can clearly see from this you all are starting to see my points for yourselves. I am in no way a pure troll. I may poke fun but you will find very few veteran players if any who disagree with my overall statement I made in my thread.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:32 PM

Everything will always offend somebody. Free speech is a very slippery slope. Once you modify your speech to appeal to all parties you appeal to none. Anything with any real substance will always be offensive somehow to someone, no exceptions. When you start doctoring free speech that is when gay **** like Christmas not being called Christmas happens.

Also remember there is a mute function in this game and if people arent fond of a particular persons way of expressing themselves that mute button is more then available.

ps- I seriously cringe when someone tells me happy holidays to be politically correct, seriously its merry Christmas you ****ing cunt.

Last edited by Kuja900; 05-12-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I kinda tangented the whole drama thing to talk about a more general issue, I'm not trying to blow it out of proportion into a drama llama but more to discuss an issue that I think is pertinent to the world today (omg I sound like a nerd), though if you meant other people shame on them
you gay by the way
Old 05-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

Ves, stop spamming people's threads. -.-
Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajuk999 View Post
Ves, stop spamming people's threads. -.-
But there are cats! Pirate cats! And a guy with a hand in his mouth! A hand!

EDIT: Umm... guys? I somehow ended up in both {ball} and 2G4U in addition to {arr}. Help? D:
Old 05-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Umm... guys? I somehow ended up in both {ball} and 2G4U in addition to {arr}. Help? D:
Solution: {arr}{ball}{is}{2G4U}D4rt
Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Solution: {arr}{ball}{is}{2G4U}D4rt
I'm gonna puke.
(No need to illustrate that, Vesuvius, thanks. I have enough nightmares with your last ones.)
At least, it's interesting to see how micro's comment about D4rt makes sense now...

@mlopes : I'm coming for you, from now on you'll fear your own shadow, which itself will fear me. Your can already hear my footsteps in your direction... but first, if you could be kind enough to remind me your in-game nickname, thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Everything will always offend somebody. Free speech is a very slippery slope. Once you modify your speech to appeal to all parties you appeal to none. Anything with any real substance will always be offensive somehow to someone, no exceptions. When you start doctoring free speech that is when gay **** like Christmas not being called Christmas happens.

Also remember there is a mute function in this game and if people arent fond of a particular persons way of expressing themselves that mute button is more then available.

ps- I seriously cringe when someone tells me happy holidays to be politically correct, seriously its merry Christmas you ****ing cunt.
Thank you for showing why many people are intolerant.

Have you considered that everyone here is not Christian.

I take offensive to that.

Off to eat some challah.

Mintz
Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 PM

this thread is just hillarious and i almost missed it oO

But to be serious, about offending ppl and "jokes" on the internet:
I don't like to offend people (most of the time ^^) and i don't like anyone to offend me or someone else. When i see flaming/racism or whatever i used to just mute the offender and play on. But since i joined {arr}, i try unmuting everyone i see on our servers and watch their language, so i can warn/kick/ban if need be.
Of course i dont just kick anyone who uses bad language, i use bad language myself. But i only use it to make fun of ppl i know and who won't be offened. And thats what i expect from anyone else. So if e.g. devesde calls micro a bitch, i dont give a ****, because i know they are rl friends. But if some player goes like "**** u all suckers" after every goal/game/5min intervall, i won't let him do that for long on our servers.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:11 AM

small children would be scarred by the things i say

in fact i think i would be too if i didn't have the filter on
Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintzMachete View Post
Thank you for showing why many people are intolerant.

Have you considered that everyone here is not Christian.

I take offensive to that.

Off to eat some challah.

Mintz
Im not a Christian either lol just a staunch advocate of free speech, it was just an example.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
but first, if you could be kind enough to remind me your in-game nickname, thanks in advance.
My in game name is GUI.tar.

Quote:
@mlopes : I'm coming for you, from now on you'll fear your own shadow, which itself will fear me. Your can already hear my footsteps in your direction...
Your plane has feet????
Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Im not a Christian either lol just a staunch advocate of free speech, it was just an example.
how does merry christmas vs. happy holidays have anything to do with free speech, lulz. it's a choice no one is forcing you to do anything.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:35 PM

Today, May 15th, {arr} won tV0 in the "finals" of Skyleague, thus claiming VOCTORY of the whole league. Thank you Skyleague admins for this great and exciting league. Thank you to all of the Pirates and the supporters. Thank you to our beloved enemy clans: 2G4U, {ball} and last but not least, tV0. We had a blast. Lelet's do it again sometime! (yep, stole it).
Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Today, May 15th, {arr} won tV0 in the "finals" of Skyleague, thus claiming VOCTORY of the whole league. Thank you Skyleague admins for this great and exciting league. Thank you to all of the Pirates and the supporters. Thank you to our beloved enemy clans: 2G4U, {ball} and last but not least, tV0. We had a blast. Lelet's do it again sometime! (yep, stole it).
CONGRATULATIONS, {arr}!!!!!!!!

I see your membership in {ball} is rubbing off. =P
Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 PM

Thanks TG, thanks to our opponents for the fierce competition and of course thanks to each and every fellow pirates for making it possible.
I think this well-deserved victory can be summed up in one word, and that word is : YARR !

Also I'd like to celebrate with a clip, depicting in the most realistic way our journey since the formation of Arr to this glorious day : http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6364209961454#
Long but worth the watch. If you want to know the meaning of life, that is.

Last edited by Sunaku; 05-16-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rt View Post
today, may 15th, {arr} won tv0 in the "finals" of skyleague, thus claiming VOCTORY of the whole league. Thank you skyleague admins for this great and exciting league. Thank you to all of the pirates and the supporters. Thank you to our beloved enemy clans: 2g4u, {ball} and last but not least, tv0. We had a blast. Lelet's do it again sometime! (yep, stole it).

is this supposed to be better than victory?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 AM

D4rt we just put you in test to:
{arr}{ball}{is}{2G4U}[test]D4rt

Hagnot, Well micro is not my IRL friend but some others like Boko are . Bitching on micro is a habit though.

Last edited by devedse; 05-16-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by devedse View Post
D4rt we just put you in test to:
{arr}{ball}{is}{2G4U}[test]D4rt
Looks like your name should really be <3D4rt.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks TG, thanks to our opponents for the fierce competition and of course thanks to each and every fellow pirates for making it possible.
I think this well-deserved victory can be summed up in one word, and that word is : Y4RR !
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaku
Also I'd like to celebrate with a clip, depicting in the most realistic way our journey since the formation or Arr to this glorious day : http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6364209961454#
Long but worth the watch. If you want to know the meaning of life, that is.
Lol at the end.

But where was the keelhauling? Fail film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
is this supposed to be better than victory?
Yes.

P.S: I'll never join [test]. Never!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
P.S: I'll never join [test]. Never!
I know why:

{b4ll}
{4rr}
2G4u

[test] should seriously consider becoming [t4ste]. Mmmmm
Old 05-16-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I know why:

{b4ll}
{4rr}
2G4u

Well figured. And [t4ste] would be awesome.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I know why:

{b4ll}
{4rr}
2G4u

He may have just found the secret of your mojo. Now we can either ignore him and pretend it's no big deal. Or we can take the appropriate course of action... KEELH4UL !