Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > The Water Cooler
FAQ Community Calendar

The Water Cooler Discuss unrelated topics. Keep it clean. Keep it nice.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Default [G]eared [F]or e[X]cellence "Altitude Digitial Work's Thread"

Geared For eXcellence

Introduction
Greetings, and welcome to the thread of the GFX. This thread's purpose is to serve as a digital work showcase and critique thread for those who have a sparked interest in this type of work. I thought it was pretty cool that Blue tried to start something about, but because of the ability to be a "good thread" it was thus closed. In the near future though, if the amount of people who are interested in starting a contest or a "Sig of the Week" I would gladly try to start one for everyone's cooperation.
Rules
I do not want this thread to be closed like Blue's so I would like to address some rules for the thread so I can keep this thread running for as long as possible. Please do not flame members of their work, please instead write out a critique in which the artist can work with to improve. Inversely, artists should not reply a flame post back to any person who is giving critic. Critics should have thoughtful and easy to understand responses. Any off topic posts that is irrelevant to the thread must be get to a minimal or be nonexistent. Failure to follow these guidelines and rules shall be reported on sight.
Please post your works and we'll go from there.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:31 PM

Strange, what happened to all of the imaginative people? I thought people would be really open to posting.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli.ta View Post
Strange, what happened to all of the imaginative people? I thought people would be really open to posting.
LOLI!

900 X 295 please =/
Old 02-20-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight 666 View Post
LOLI!

900 X 295 please =/
Want to give me a subject render? I'm not going to use that mascot again, it would feel to repetitive.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:22 AM

Mascot? What mascot? Are you talking about that blonde boobs lady?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
Mascot? What mascot? Are you talking about that blonde boobs lady?
Yup. Flighty! You didn't give anything to work around with, yet. D:
Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

Lolita, im not sure if your insulting me, or trying not to. please explain. i might join. and why do u keep saying blues thread got closed

Also loli, since it was my idea u took in a different way, can i be one of those criticss, instead of joining. ill try my best in being fair.

http://img521.imageshack.us/i/58517097.png/

Last edited by Pieface; 02-21-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: merged 3 posts
Old 02-21-2010, 09:56 PM

LOLI!

900 X 295 please

xD

Looking foward to what you come up with when you "wing it".
Old 02-21-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Also loli, since it was my idea u took in a different way, can i be one of those criticss, instead of joining. ill try my best in being fair.
If I'm understanding this right I think anyone and everyone can post and critique you don't have to sign up or anything like that. Just post your work and be critiqued.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massi View Post
If I'm understanding this right I think anyone and everyone can post and critique you don't have to sign up or anything like that. Just post your work and be critiqued.
i kno, i was just asking a question
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Lolita, im not sure if your insulting me, or trying not to. please explain. i might join. and why do u keep saying blues thread got closed

http://img521.imageshack.us/i/58517097.png/
Just to clear things up with you good sir. This is not a club or any type of "membership" type thing, anyone is free to critique anyone's work there is no restriction. I was not intending on insulting you with the creation of this thread. Your thread if I recall correctly was a contest thread for the best digital art creation, there was no critiquing involved, you were simply looking for artists and judges for the contest. I hope that clears it up for you, if not let me know I can go into a more deeper response is deemed necessary. I only stated a past event, which was the closing of your thread, if this context seems to offend you, also let me know, it shall be removed.
Quote:
Alright. First thing I noticed, the green background. To me it looks like you found a render, made it green. Not that it isn't a bad background, but it seems rather hard on the eyes. The text, which seems to be your forte contrasts out rather well. The placement of the "Geared For Excellence" could've melded with the center text better. It might be a nitpick but, why is the "excellence" part sort of faded white and why is the "a" in Geared blurred? What I'm saying might sound harsh but 3D text on a background seems rather bland and boring to me. (Just because of my bias toward using an actual subject render.) Your text work is what makes your art yours, which is a good start to evolving. I won't go into flow because it's a text work. It may just be me, but the size of the whole piece really makes it have an uncomfortable feel to being "too big", something you should consider. :3

Last edited by Loli.ta; 02-22-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added Critique [2/22]
Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just to clear things up with you good sir. This is not a club or any type of "membership" type thing, anyone is free to critique anyone's work there is no restriction. I was not intending on insulting you with the creation of this thread. Your thread if I recall correctly was a contest thread for the best digital art creation, there was no critiquing involved, you were simply looking for artists and judges for the contest. I hope that clears it up for you, if not let me know I can go into a more deeper response is deemed necessary. I only stated a past event, which was the closing of your thread, if this context seems to offend you, also let me know, it shall be removed.
it doesnt offend me, dont woory that was my little crappy piece i just did :/
Old 02-22-2010, 10:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

All Comments , Please post.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

Alright. First thing I noticed, the green background. To me it looks like you found a render, made it green. Not that it isn't a bad background, but it seems rather hard on the eyes. The text, which seems to be your forte contrasts out rather well. The placement of the "Geared For Excellence" could've melded with the center text better. It might be a nitpick but, why is the "excellence" part sort of faded white and why is the "a" in Geared blurred? What I'm saying might sound harsh but 3D text on a background seems rather bland and boring to me. (Just because of my bias toward using an actual subject render.) Your text work is what makes your art yours, which is a good start to evolving. I won't go into flow because it's a text work. It may just be me, but the size of the whole piece really makes it have an uncomfortable feel to being "too big", something you should consider. :3
thank you for your opinions. it was just a "sketch"
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajuk999 View Post
All Comments , Please post.

its ok. its a little basic though. i like the blue kinda thing,

but it would be cool if u put like a miranda or something, somewhere in the piece.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Banned

heh how about this?

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/743/graffitik.png

its my graffiti!

miranda is the best though

the biplane rocks

the loopy is the best and fastest shooter

that was what it said.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 AM

Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by STACK View Post
i like it alot
Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Stackz, I've been a fan of your map making skills and designs that you create. Here you presented a banner for APL3. Nice work on the biplane, removing the mascot girl. The only thing that really sticks out is the "Altitude" in black. I found it somewhat difficult to read, I just knew what it said based off of the "3" and "PROLEAGUE" Text-wise; some grunge work, which I'm a big fan of. The "3" was nicely radiated with flowing lines. I'll address the background which seems rather simple, but it doesn't make my eyes hurt when looking at it. I'll assume the flow was aimed in a "U" shape. :3 Overall it's pretty decent. You know your stuff Stacky.
Quote:
i like it alot
Blue, I know you are an artist, but this comment doesn't really serve much justice when giving your thoughts and help make the work better. Why do you like it a lot, etc. :3
Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajuk999 View Post
First off, the flow was well made and the colors balance rather well. The only thing that makes me wonder, it seems like you found a render, a star field, a rising sun type render, and applied some blue to it. It's not a bad thing of course, the way you applied the logo and the background was nicely melded. The only real complaint that I have is the simplicity it has, picture on merged renders. It's nicely done.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:10 AM

Did a little moar to that one

Old 02-24-2010, 01:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

yay but lolita won already :|
good style i love the 3 and the orange stuff behind it...

the proleague font is a little too western, and the altitude is so ****ing basic
The plane and biplane and bomb is awesome, maybe in the future incorporate some text within the bomb explosion

the backround is awesome and boxxy xD

start makin for apl season 4
and any video makers?

maybe u can sync the plane up close and the biplane
that'd be cool
Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 PM

Ok last one I promise, super funky but that's how I'm feelin

Edit: changed a couple things

Last edited by STACK; 02-27-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Did a little moar to that one

i like the first one, but id like the second ones text in the first one.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:

Hey, no one said that you should stop posting. Post at your leisure.

Heh, I'm a big fan of overdrive work, it makes it so much prettier. The flow in your last one sort of cuts off at the top. But it looks fantastic, you fixed the text. Evil, we have a winrar.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Banned

It's made for APL3 right? Why is there a IV in roman numbers? Just wonderin
Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 AM

Another quickie I made last weekend. I'm still messing around with the giant banner that Flighty has requested, I need to get used to using a bigger canvas. CnC please.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I especially love the font for the "Proleague" text and the lighting-bolt-thing behind it, as well as the super awesome blocky background that blends well with the rest of the work.

Edit: Nice one Loli. Where did you guys learn to be this talented.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boko View Post
It's made for APL3 right? Why is there a IV in roman numbers? Just wonderin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil
start makin for apl season 4
So Stack made one for Season Four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface
I had a knack for Photoshop so in my freshman year I took Graphic Design I, II, and III. I guess that's where I started, then I started looking up how to do other neat things. :3 Online tutorials help a bunch, it only gets cooler when you add your own twists to it. I'm pretty scrubish compared to many of my favorite digiartists. Stack's talent is natural. :3

Last edited by Loli.ta; 02-25-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
I especially love the font for the "Proleague" text and the lighting-bolt-thing behind it, as well as the super awesome blocky background that blends well with the rest of the work.

I think the lighting bolt is actually the miranda laser just blown up really large. Confirm/Deny???
Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
I think the lighting bolt is actually the miranda laser just blown up really large. Confirm/Deny???

Old 02-25-2010, 01:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

Quote:
I think stack got it off the Press Image Kit from the "Wall" powerup lightning.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Nope, freehand lines with some blur and transparency. I actually have a screenshot of a huge miranda beam for your viewing pleasure.
Loosely followed this tutorial for paint.NET

Old 02-25-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Nope, freehand lines with some blur and transparency. I actually have a screenshot of a huge miranda beam for your viewing pleasure.
Loosely followed this tutorial for paint.NET

Stack, what is Paint.NET like? I've used both Photoshop and GIMP, what's Paint.net like?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Stack, what is Paint.NET like? I've used both Photoshop and GIMP, what's Paint.net like?
I like it, does most of the things photoshop will, but it is free. There is a pretty large community and tons of plug-ins, but I am just getting used to the basic functions. I have heard that there is better free software out there, but I like the simple interface and lack of useless features. I would likely use PS over paint.NET, but it would be hard to switch over. The only drawbacks I have found so far would be the lack of custom brushes(could be a plug-in for this), and somewhat rough anti-aliasing on freehand lines. Major plus is the intuitive interface and general ease of use.

Last edited by STACK; 02-25-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 AM

MS paint, no sketch pad, nothing.

was bored in class
Old 02-25-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Another quickie I made last weekend. I'm still messing around with the giant banner that Flighty has requested, I need to get used to using a bigger canvas. CnC please.
Looks pretty nice and polished. Nice variety of techs and they blend well. I would like to see a larger piece, I find myself having to move closer for a good look. I would also like to see more of a personal touch in your work. Perhaps try some techs you may not be as comfortable with? Trying to read the white text makes my eyes hurt a little, maybe tone down the blur or something.

I added some sort of zerg/angry pickle pilot and a few other minor details... it is pretty weird but I really like the balance now. Need something else to work on, I'm bored -_-

Last edited by STACK; 02-25-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:

loli, has this anything to do with touhou..?
oh and great pics i also like these from stack.
the one for APL4 is awesome.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Looks pretty nice and polished. Nice variety of techs and they blend well. I would like to see a larger piece, I find myself having to move closer for a good look. I would also like to see more of a personal touch in your work. Perhaps try some techs you may not be as comfortable with? Trying to read the white text makes my eyes hurt a little, maybe tone down the blur or something.

I would say that from the point since I posted it, I see very many mistakes, you also pointed stuff I also didn't see. The lighting is really messed up, I should've burned more of the shadows. The right side seem rather clutered with many c4ds, which probably something I'm accustomed to. The flow cuts off right in the center which sort of makes a Z shape. Heh, my text gets rather boring once it is seen more than once. I also notice that I have many "too sharp" shapes that are scattered around making the piece seem a lot like poor blending. Gar. I'm so bad at this.

I added some sort of zerg/angry pickle pilot and a few other minor details... it is pretty weird but I really like the balance now. Need something else to work on, I'm bored -_-

You could make a banner for the APL website. I believe the specs are 900x295. School is still killing my time, so I don't have very dedicated time.

Man, I really admire your creations. I can't create "characters" so to speak from scratch, how do you do it? (The banner is really awesome now, ((not that it wasn't already before.)) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
loli, has this anything to do with touhou..?
oh and great pics i also like these from stack.
the one for APL4 is awesome.
Sakuya Izayoi. Probably my favorite character from the series. :3

Ugh, I would like to apologize to posting this thread in the wrong section, I got a warning for not reading the rules. Meeeh! Ah well. The thread has been moved accordingly, thanks!

Last edited by Loli.ta; 02-26-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 AM

The outline generally takes the most time for me. I basically just start drawing something and kind of wing it. I go back over the lines to add some character, and then add a little blur to soften them up. Base color comes next, can be really basic. After that, I do several layers with basically random blotches of color, blurred and blended in(render clouds ftw). I do the shading with the gradient tool, nothing fancy. A lot of randomness and experimentation really, still pretty new with this.

Here is a quick little ugly one, I think it kind of looks like a nasty pear.

Last edited by STACK; 02-26-2010 at 01:10 AM.