Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:16 PM

Default A request to map makers.

When designing ball maps, PLEASE put a team-specific health pack behind the goal. This would allow for more depth in ball in my opinion. Right now it's difficult if not impossible to get a solid defense without repair drone; this would help alleviate that.

Discuss.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Not a bad idea, but on the maps that currently have that design, I rarely see planes (esp. explodets, since they are slow to get back there and return to the front of the goal) grab the health there. It's usually easier to get health from planes killed in front of your goal. But I can't see a downside to it, so why not.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:32 PM

It would have more of an impact on Loopies/Mirandas/Bips who want to be defensive. They don't have the health to withstand multiple encounters on their own.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

The implementation of the health pack behind the goal was something I decided to implement for similar reasons to what you said. However, this was before the idea of having separate offense and defense. I think now the healthpacks are a bad feature because it gives too much of an advantage to non-repair drone perks. So while I initially created this idea for healthpacks (as seen on mayhem2, core, etc) I think going into the future that we shouldn't include them.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnl View Post
this was before the idea of having separate offense and defense.
I agree: if a player is staying back near the goal, to the point that they can regularly pick up the health pack, then they're likely hurting their team. Or alternatively: if a team just isn't able to get the ball away from their goal and keep it away, they really shouldn't be rewarded with a health pack. ;-)

Quote:
I think now the healthpacks are a bad feature because it gives too much of an advantage to non-repair drone perks. So while I initially created this idea for healthpacks (as seen on mayhem2, core, etc) I think going into the future that we shouldn't include them.
I think the idea of team-specific health packs is a good one; it just doesn't need to be right next to the goal.

Right now, every map has one or two "don't clear that way" routes -- paths away from the goal that are often too dangerous to be viable clear routes. What if the team-specific health pack was located there? There are also many attack routes which rarely get used (e.g., most routes that go near the enemy's spawn area, like the top paths in Mayhem, Mayhem2, Funnelpark, etc) -- what if a team-specific health pack was placed in those paths?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The implementation of the health pack behind the goal was something I decided to implement for similar reasons to what you said. However, this was before the idea of having separate offense and defense. I think now the healthpacks are a bad feature because it gives too much of an advantage to non-repair drone perks. So while I initially created this idea for healthpacks (as seen on mayhem2, core, etc) I think going into the future that we shouldn't include them.
As a result though, people would camp the goal or another safe area until their repair healed them. And an all repair game is a boring game. I like variety with flexy/Heavy.

Harmonica: This is acceptable. As long as there is one point where you can fly to "catch a breather" after an intense firefight.

Last edited by Evan20000; 02-26-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Do any maps put friendly health packs in the enemy's court? Sort of an oasis, if you will. It might force defenders to make some interesting choices.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
As a result though, people would camp the goal or another safe area until their repair healed them. And an all repair game is a boring game. I like variety with flexy/Heavy.

Harmonica: This is acceptable. As long as there is one point where you can fly to "catch a breather" after an intense firefight.
I don't know how much ball you play, but the game of ball is already heavily dominated by heavy armor. Using repair is seen by most as being at a disadvantage due to the fast paced nature of the game. If you are spending your time camping a "safe" area in order to repair then you are most likely hurting your team. This is why I think it is important to not include the team specific health packs because it only furthers the use of heavy armor and it is better to foster an environment where all perks are put on equal footing.