Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999
Default Making The Community Better

Well before I start off, first let's look at what the New Oxford American Dictionary
says about a popular term, Spam.

"irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients."

That my friend is one way of looking at what spam actually is. Now there is a lot of posts in these Forums. Some are constructive and helpful to the community, while others are the total opposite. These Posts, the ones that people create because they think of something, regardless of it's importance, they still post away. Wether it has NO value at all to helping keep the Altitude Community thriving (in a good way).

Do we want the popular threads to contain spam? Messages that are "irrelevant" or "inappropriate" to the community? You have to admit, that most of the threads started every day, are either irrelevant or inappropriate. I do not want newcomers to be welcomed to such a community, but a community that is known for answering questions, is is user friendly, and that everyone loves to visit.

It is sad to see that the most popular threads, are the ones that are the least constructive. Posts that are just about what is on that specific person's mind,
Irrelevant Threads.
I am quite upset about all of the posts people make, in threads that are crippling the clean community of Altitude.
When I first came to Altitude, maybe early '09 or so, I liked Altitude for the simple reasons that the game was good, updates didn't stop coming, and most of all the Forums were constructive, efficient, helpful, and clean. Not to say they aren't now.
But to be bluntly honest, most of the threads started now are either irrelevant or inappropriate. Threads that are like "Look at this!" or "what is this?" or whatever. And I realize that most of those threads are in The Water Cooler, but if those are the only threads being payed attention, that is just silly.

It seems like these newcomers post threads that are useless, then all of these "Senior Members" or people that have been a member of Altitude for a while, start posting and replying to these worthless posts, and everyone pays attention to the "unread" threads, even if their worthless, sometime even posting in them. Oh, I don't mean to come out so harsh, but for the sake of keeping Altitude a "Prize Community" let's keep on top of the worthless threads. If a newcomer posts a thread that is inappropriate, post tips and advice on making useful, and worthwhile threads. I am sure most of us know how to make useful, insightful, worthwhile, helpful, threads, now if we would just help the newcomers when we see their mistakes, oh what a better Community these Forums would become.

Instead what is happening is that newcomers are coming, several every day, and they are posting their brain, and instead of people helping them out, and giving advice, they just sit back and watch, Now I don't know about you, but it shouldn't be just the Moderators who keep the Forums under control. Yes we can't infract or warn those who disobey the Forum Rules, but we sure can give advice on how to obey them.

Unless posts give people instruction on how to do specific things. Unless posts are helpful. Unless posts are insightful to problems. They shouldn't be posted!
Why post when your post is useless to the community? Why start a thread if it doesn't answer questions and give insight?

To all of the Altitudians, we can't expect the Moderators to maintain the forums by themselves. That's why the Forums have a report button. that's why you can PM or post a reply to a useless thread, and instead of going along, say whoa, hey, look at this before you post again pal, and help that user, otherwise they will make another useless thread, then another use, then another, and then we have what we are sitting in right now. So my love for Altitude and the Community, and all of you, has driven me to right this. I only want Altitude to succeed.

Altitude is one of the must unique and special community's I know of. It for the most part is innocent, clean, fun, efficient. I mean questions are answered all of the time, help is given when needed, it is quite unique. So why my dear Altitudians, let it go to waste? Why let it fall into the same category as all of those other Community's that were useless and nothing unique about them?

My dear friends, most likely this is what Forums start off as, exactly what Altitude is right now. The Best Ever. But the for sure don't stay like that, no you have to work to ensure the survival of a good community. They don't just stay like that by themselves. It takes the effort of the community working together.

I want to also say that most of us are pretty active, 500 something the Forums say, but there are some that are on every other hour almost. And that is another reason why these Forums, this community is special. So let's keep the Altitude Community, a place that everyone wants to be a member of. Let's educate the newcomers, let's help them, let's give advice to those who need it.

A special thanks to all of those who already practice good posting skills, those who make Altitude what it is, those whose posts help people. Thank You Guys, I hope I made myself clear, this "burden" has been on my mind for a very long time. I hope I made sense to you guys, I apologize for coming out harsh.

Please post your thoughts on this subject.

Last edited by Ajuk999; 09-05-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 PM

Hmm I apprieciate this however I find it quite hilarious that you of all people made this thread lol >.>.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Ajuk, can you post some sort of public apology for all of the spam that you posted over the past month or two (prior to your enlightenment)? That would go a long way in helping people to respect what you are now saying. You seem to be taking advice to heart, and some of your posts now definitely show some forethought, but to see one of the worst offenders now asking people not to spam is, well, hypocritical.

Still, good point, and something hopefully people will consider. Keep in mind, though, that any community that is primarily self-policed will become what the majority of people want it to become. Thus, while you and I may want to see less "WTF is that" threads, if most people enjoy that, that's what will continue to happen. I think the fact that there is a water cooler area that is less monitored/infracted is a good thing because it directs those types of threads to a specific place. Most of the other forum areas are actually used in proper ways. If you look at the most recent threads on say, General Discussion, they are mainly game-related and valuable.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 AM

'WTF is that' was extremely on key and totally put a smile on my face.

i miss stack.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 AM

It took me about 15 minutes of staring at my screen in disbelief to summon the willpower to edit my post down to something more tasteful lol.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:52 AM

TL;DR

Also, meh.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:26 AM

Location: IM ON A BOAT MOTHER****ER TAKE A GOOD HARD LOOK AT THE MOTHER****ING BOAT

this thread counts as spam O_o
Old 03-03-2010, 03:48 AM

the time you wasted vomiting that block of words could've been spent cleaning beaches or volunteering at homeless shelters.

you owe society like 5 hours, plus more for the people who must've spent like an hour reading all of that.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 PM

This "community" has alot of weird drama... Considering it was a $2 game on steam. O_o;

Should I even bother getting to know the community here? >.>
Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehementi View Post
This "community" has alot of weird drama... Considering it was a $2 game on steam. O_o;

Yes, you should. It's actually an amazing community. It's also, often, quite twisted and harsh. But there are members that put hours and hours of their (free, unpaid) time into making this a better game.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:

Actually there is a nice bunch of players in here. The thing is that many of the old players have been around for like 5 years or something and always in web communities there is some small drama when the old tight community gets lots of new players quickly. (such as the game being published on Steam and now the Steam sale) Don't take it too seriously, enjoy the game, and if you feel like it spend some time on the forums. You wont miss out on a lot without the forums though if you just want to play for fun and don't want to get "serious" with clans and tournaments and all that.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:

If you have to ask...
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth View Post
If you have to ask...
...you'll never know...
Old 03-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's a pretty typical community for a multiplayer game, I'd say. That has its good and its bad sides, but yeah... plenty of ridiculous drama.