Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 PM

Default Map making questions

hi i am eager to make some maps for this game, however i have a few questions first;

1. is it possible to create obstacles by making a PNG or similar? as in can i layer a png for a background, then make another png with polygons, cirlces and the like as a foreground which will be harmful to planes?

2. is there any way to add sounds to maps for this game like there is in counter strike source? i have got some really cool ideas for map soundtracks, killing streak sounds etc.

3. when creating a background image for the map, how exactly do i make the image transparant? i have put opacity to 0 in gimp on some test ideas, however planes still crash and burn upon spawn, which is rather annoying.

thanks in advance
Old 03-25-2010, 12:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

Hi and Welcome to the Altitude Community!

Let me try to answer to the best of my ability.

On number three, you would simply "Right-Click" on whatever object it is that you want to edit. Then a little "Inspector" should pop-up that looks like:

You would then un-check the option "Collidable" When you have done that, your plane will not run into that specific object.

As for your other questions, I suggest you read the Map Editor Guide and also visit the Wiki Pages: Map Editor General Information and of course probably the most helpful "Making Your First Map"
Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 AM

I can help with 1.
IF u import an image to the map editor, it will detect the borders of the image as a whole, and mark those as colision points.
BUT
If you import and image that has transparency, it will detect the borders trough transparency, so if u make any kind of image and make it transparent on the part u want planes to go trough, the map edtor will detect it that way. U have to make it transparent BEFORE importing it.
So, if u draw anything in, lets say, paint or photoshop, and then add it transparency to some part, u can insert it in a map and play around it, or crash against it why not.

Last edited by Dash_Angel; 03-25-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:15 AM

yes, i think ive got the gist of most of it now..... one more thing i need help on...

i have made my first attempt at a map here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?m1ew2jt0tmm

but i have a problem.... all of the special things i put in (such as base, turrets and the planes themselves) do not show up....

for some reason powerups do show up... i dont get it can someone assist me in this crisis of mapmakingdom?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Ensure that all the special items such as bases, turrets, powerups, spawn points, etc are all placed on the "game" layer.

I just opened the map in the editor and I see the problem. You have everything on the "game" layer. What you want to do is right click on the "view editor" window and create a new view (call it background or whatever). Then make sure that that layer is above the "game" layer on that list (do this by selecting the background layer and pressing the up button). Then move everything on the game layer that you want planes to fly on top of (such as the moon and the black) to that background layer. You can do this by selecting them all at once (hold shift and click each item) and then go to "Selection" and then "Move to View" and select background. This should fix all your problems.

A couple more quick things. You don't need all that extra black background image when you already have your background color set to black. Having those black blocks in there just takes up video ram that is unneeded. Also, since your background is straight black you want to go to "Map" on the menu and make sure you uncheck the "Use Black smoke instead of Gray" so that you will use gray smoke. Also, go to "Change Name Text Color" and select something light (such as white) so that you can see the names of the planes. Also, you only have one spawn points, which means that all the planes will spawn on top of each other. I suggest adding 4-5 more spawn points per team to get rid of confusion.

After all that I think the map is going to be a huge stalemate. You have two hugely split off areas with so many powerups and only one bomb. Maybe consider removing that huge triangle above the base and adding in a bunch more bombs. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Last edited by nesnl; 03-25-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:54 PM

ok cool thanks for the advice

yeah this map was really just a test to see if i could actually make a working map, i didnt put much thought into design, i will do as you say and make a new layer for the background

is the geometry supposed to be part of the game layer?

just for referance; i heard that maps exceeding around 3000 pixels in any dimension are too big, yet my map still feels a little small.

this is most likely caused by the map only being 800 width and fully viewable on most screens. would this idea be frowned upon by most altitude players? and if so would i get away with making a wider (and possibly higher) map?

i was aiming for a rush to the top and dogfight for the bomb scenario, then a rush to the other teams base at the bottom. the triangle is too big, but i put it in place to stop people simply dropping the bomb upon entering the enemy base and scoring a full hit.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Anything collidable (what you are calling geometry) should be on the game layer. As for the map size, you are correct that exceedingly large maps don't play very well. But as you have correctly said, by having a map that is very short in its width it makes the playing field smaller. Just as a point of reference, most of the maps I have made are 4032x1440.

I understand the theory of the map, but I can picture how it would play out in a real game. People would be constantly dying and then spawning in the area between the base and the bomb. This would make it almost impossible for an enemy player to successfully drop a bomb on the base.

I guess the best thing you can do is make the map and see how it works out.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:54 AM

ok i will trust you on this one ;-)

i will make a complete revision of the map, and ill design it nicer too, as in proper textures rather than paint blocks

oh, and one other thing i was wondering about; how does one go about distributing the map? do i have to make my own server, or can it just be put up on the game?

Last edited by DaGleese; 03-31-2010 at 03:57 AM.