Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Default New map concept. Likey or no likey?

Howdy!

Here i am again, trying to make a new map for you boys and girls.

This time i put a screen of the concept here on forums before making any art stuff.

Some walls will probably change a bit after making it look good, but the gameplay part should stay the same.

So, what do you think? Is it good enough to finish it? Or is it uber crap and i should stop trying to make maps for Altitude...?

Download link (just in case):
tbd_tesla.altx

Screeny:

|Hartz.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM

I'd like to see how it plays but just from looking at it, it just looks to easy too bomb.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 PM

as fun as it is to think outside the box, altitude has given me a jaded view on map making as original ideas rarely work for the wide range of gameplay found on different servers (8-16 player games, bouncy/hardwalls, competitive/casual.)

Not saying this particual idea won't work, just warning you because you don't want to put all the work into the art and have no one play it, like your other map

One thing to keep in mind is even though you have a new idea we haven't seen before is it actually going to be fun to play, for example the powerups inside the circles, that would be annoying as **** gameplay wise and would only be an impediment to fast exciting gameplay

good luck! ^^

I do remember a map where the bases were close together similar to this, i forget what it was called but it worked reasonably well for casual games anyways, also i just noticed the name and im excited to see what graphics you cook up to go with that
Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig_bomb View Post
like your other map
I suppose you're referring to tbd_nuclear. I don't know what's going on on ladder/proleague servers cause i do not play there much, but on other servers i see that played quite often and, by the way, I find it very enjoyable.

About this one I agree with storm, first impression is that is way too easy to hit the base.
Oh and, due to the fact that spawns are "behind" bases, probably there won't be a lot of attacking/defending action.
Powerups in the circles probably aren't a good idea, too.

Maybe you should try to post some variation on this concept?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:54 PM

Location: IM ON A BOAT MOTHER****ER TAKE A GOOD HARD LOOK AT THE MOTHER****ING BOAT

what are those little empty spaces in the bottom left and right corners next to the health packs for?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A doughnut View Post
what are those little empty spaces in the bottom left and right corners next to the health packs for?
Pictures of Nikola Tesla, imho
Old 03-31-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
they are for people to camp safely without getting in the middle of a push or bomb run.. you also have your private health pack!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 AM

Hi!

Thanks for you replies!

But, obviously, this is not going to work. And with this last attempt, i will give up my map-making and leave it to the pros.

See you in game.

Hartz.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:37 AM

no way ur not leaving us with only nuclear!!! we need moar good maps, just try and stay with the gameplay of the best maps roids/cave, check how they work, try to make a non-neutral bomb map trying to get rid of the core theme that runs in every map.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:48 PM

Keep it simple for test fase so u dont loose time. Then give us all ur 3D details )))
Nuclear's 3D, makes it diferent from all the panorama.
I cant remember the name of ur other map, only version i played of it its on "Ace Combat Tbd 6x6", (and i dont understand why do some turrets work and others dont!?), but looks like a possible good map too.
You can gave us that 3D Studio lights ambience wich nobody else can.
Please dont give up mate!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
they are for people to camp safely without getting in the middle of a push or bomb run.. you also have your private health pack!!!
LOL andy, but those are actually where the bases go when this map gets updated.