Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > The Water Cooler
FAQ Community Calendar

The Water Cooler Discuss unrelated topics. Keep it clean. Keep it nice.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:27 AM

Default rant about state of altitude

the amount of skilled players have dropped significantly since 6 months ago, causing the game to become very boring. Every weekend there are just a bunch of baddies playing in ladder and pubby servers, never any good players anymore . ALTITUDE IS DYING and there is no cure.

So after some feedback I have decided to set up a day in which all the vets can get on and play together, we will probably select the time where the most people can play, <THIS SPACE IS FOR THE POLL WHEN I FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE ONE> note: kuja claims u can only make a poll when u start a new thread so I will make a new thread

Last edited by ZidaneTribal; 04-14-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZidaneTribal View Post
the amount of skilled players have dropped significantly since 6 months ago, causing the game to become very boring. Every weekend there are just a bunch of baddies playing in ladder and pubby servers, never any good players anymore . ALTITUDE IS DYING and there is no cure.

and while I'm at it,
WHAT THE HECK THE PIC WONT WORK^
I was playing in the same game as you earlier tonight and you were complaining. Ever consider that those who aren't very good are trying to learn?
Old 04-11-2010, 05:07 AM

This issue is also touched on here:

http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3166
Old 04-11-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrim View Post
I was playing in the same game as you earlier tonight and you were complaining. Ever consider that those who aren't very good are trying to learn?
the point is there aren't as many quality players anymore.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:27 AM

Well since all you ACEholes :P started playing sc2 my game time is declining since I don't have many people to play with + most of the decent/good tbd players are migrating to ball cause it's easier to get ladder games going. I wish we could like have more people on sunday and then scrim out of APL. I love playing vs good teams.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:29 AM

I honestly think a big part of this is the advent of the bouncy servers. You just dont get as good as fast playing bouncy and really its three times easier to get a bouncy game then a hard walls game.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:55 AM

when it all started, there weren't many players. Pretty much everyone who played beta was pretty "hardcore." I'd say back then, like 80% of the people were pretty good and pretty serious.

Now, there are more players. There's still the same number of really good, dedicated players, some old vets and some new guys stepping up to the plate, but the player base has (thank god) increased dramatically. So now maybe 5-10% are really good and serious. it's not a result of bouncy servers or anything.

quit yer bitchin
Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 AM

It does make sense I suppose since the TL invasion was an invasion of hardcore gamers with very few casuals, and in comparison the steam wave was an invasion of mostly casuals.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:29 AM

Agree with stormich. SC2 is to blame.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Yea I agree. TBD ladder has gone to complete ****. Can we remedy this? I'm sick of boring, frustrating games.

I think what's happening now is that a vet or two will find a tbd ladder game, find it filled with baddies, and sign off in disgust. And then some other vets will log in to find the server filled with the same baddies, sign off, etc. etc.

Easiest way to fix this would be to have set hours for "peak" play? Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Or just auto join some unplayed server like APL servers during non league days, the problem is you'd have to wait for people to come
Old 04-11-2010, 05:39 PM

we could set up a time for all the good players to get on and play against each other (saturday night/sunday morning)
Old 04-11-2010, 05:40 PM

Oh hey, a thread where I feel like the community of "QULAITYZZZZ" players are now dead. ACE one of the most consistent player attendance in the league has dropped to about an average 5. Ladder is practically dead for TBD, ball is the new TBD. Might as well make the next league about ball, the current league has more dropped out teams then all the homework I get on a school day. It's uber saddening.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:04 PM

I agree completely. Altitude has been boring recently. Very few good players around. I blame bouncy servers as well. Hundreds of new players started playing this game on bouncy walls and either they got used to it and can't quit or they go to hard walls and can't fly so they end up crashing often. Bouncy may be a "fun" kind of game, but it's pointless when rubber hull exists to help begginers. As a consequence of the lack of good players, the matches are usually really bad. You'll often see me saying my team is bad, in officials. Although it's a joke and a reference to Snowsickle, I am being partially serious. Most people in official 3 don't know how to play TBD at all. Maybe Lam and Karl should advertise the forums more in the game so the new players can read the guides and interact with the "pros".

Also, I think people are getting a little tired of TBD. I notice a lot more activity in Ball (and now, thanks to our ressurection of it, deathmatch). Maybe it's because it's always the same old maps, especially core, cave and asteroids. We've finally got some new GOOD maps recently, especially Heights and Focus, though Justice is pretty good as well, haven't played it enough. I persoanlly have no clue how to create maps, but we could really use more of them. Maybe we can have a map making contest with 500 community points of prize for the top 3 or something like that.

/end rant
Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 PM

Attitude of the older players plays a huge part. OP not excluded.

Last edited by CCN; 04-11-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Attacking Zidane doesn't solve anything.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
Attacking Zidane doesn't solve anything.
I probably shouldn't mention Kuja's new post either, because that would be an attack.:ro lleyes:

Last edited by CCN; 04-11-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
Attitude of the older players plays a huge part. OP not excluded.
Good players not wanting to play with bad players makes players badder?

Fail logic is fail

If that were true, nobody would have ever became skilled, DUCY?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:44 PM

Bow down to me

I will set up a server that will make it hard for FAGS to get into it.

I will do as after my tournament.

Hard walls
Max players = 14
TBD only server (would u want ball)
no reverse thrust, no tracker, no bombs, no rubber hull

then you set a time on saturdays, 4-10 GMT lets say and thats when all the good guys go on and have some fun.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblade View Post
And reported again since you seem to not be able to keep your insults under control.
Oh shizzle! You got me. Now i'm going to have to go through your post history and report all your insults, because, y'know, you seem to care about it so much.

Edit: I got bored after 2 posts.

Last edited by CCN; 04-11-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCN View Post
Now i'm going to have to go through your post history and report all your insults, because, y'know, you seem to care about it so much.
Please don't, I actually like to read my emails sometimes. We've been pretty relaxed lately about infractions and punishment, but if there's a general consensus that things are getting out of control we can certainly step things up. Not that it's any fun to have to use the infraction hammer all the time.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
Please don't, I actually like to read my emails sometimes. We've been pretty relaxed lately about infractions and punishment, but if there's a general consensus that things are getting out of control we can certainly step things up. Not that it's any fun to have to use the infraction hammer all the time.
Quote:
Mod Edit: message deleted.
Lol

10char10char
Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 PM

I feel this thread is not about good and bad players - but rather a complaint, that altitude's changed and that those with whom you guys used to play to don't play anymore.

even if to think - we no longer have 2 top teams, but 3-4 of them. Besides a bunch of teams who may actually compete the top teams (as BB beat L* today).

It's pretty sad tbd ladder's almost dead - but the quality of good players has increased, the difference is (as also ARAB said) that the % of good players in the overall player base is now much lower

----
in the old good days of capitain's server - good players were really owning everyone all the time, while playing together in one single place. Nowadays - good players really are not that much better, than many of the newcomers. Even former $E members show magnificent results on the 1dm servers.

The problem discussed here is about - there's no secure place where 40-60 guys may play together against each other, because now there're like 100-120 guys who disturb those 40. I've heard too many times stupid elitist notes said about decent players - there's simply no respect in some of the players here towards the new comers.

Last edited by Tosconi; 04-11-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosconi View Post
I feel this thread is not about good and bad players - but rather a complaint, that altitude's changed and that those with whom you guys used to play to don't play anymore.

It's pretty sad tbd ladder's almost dead - but the quality of good players has increased, the difference is (as also ARAB said) that the % of good players in the overall player base is now much lower

The problem discussed here is about - there's no secure place where 40-60 guys may play together against each other, because now there're like 100-120 guys who disturb those 40. I've heard too many times stupid elitist notes said about decent players - there's simply no respect in some of the players here towards the new comers.
Thanks for saying that. I agree with the percentage analysis. When you get hundreds or thousands of new steam players, it's bound to drop the average skill level significantly. But with any new crop of players, the tide will rise and standouts will eventually emerge.

I'm disappointed that so many new threads (Kuja, York, Zidane) seem to be about how lame certain players or groups of players are. And I agree I think Zidane was just commenting on the percentages, not attacking ayone.

Sure, it's frustrating to watch everyone get really good and then suddenly have an influx of low-skilled players. But it's also the only thing that keeps the game going. I don't know how long Altitude would last with the same 40-60 players playing. People leave, find other interests, etc., etc. Karl and Lam were smart to bring new blood to the servers.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 AM

I love the hate for the steam users.

I started playing when it was released on steam, and I'm better than about 98% of players.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:

I started playing when it was released on steam, and I'm better than about 98% of players.
If the forums ever allow a signature, I'm sigging this.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Considering there are about 90,000 registered accounts, that leaves only 1800 better than you ^^
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlyte View Post
Considering there are about 90,000 registered accounts, that leaves only 1800 better than you ^^
Not 90,000 active accounts.

Who cares about inactive accounts?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:05 AM

You do if you want to keep those statistics valid.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 AM

has anyone right clicked on zid's image and open it in a new window?

oh..and i love zid's idea abt settin up a pro-day <3. +1

Last edited by matattack; 04-12-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matattack View Post

oh..and i love zid's idea abt settin up a pro-day <3. +1
LOL umm yea i do agree with zidane, I was saying this yesterday! there was a month period i was a 'pro' on my bomber and at that time i knew what it was like lol! but since then i havnt picked it up as strong, mostly because of lack of motivation to win! but i seem to be able to do pretty strong in most games an matches with half decent effort at all!!!! even some games i am just chatting i find myself still able to bomb and with highest ratio and i genuinely am not trying at all! I think one of the main reasons is because there is not a competitive pro environment for noob to test theres skills against and get better nor do pros want to play with noobs! anyway! maybe try to get some advertisements out to more pro gamers!!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:

false

10 charrrrr
Old 04-12-2010, 02:33 PM

who is deathblade? I mean cmon fureeeel?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Would all you depressive bitch ass mofo's stop whining jeeeez, ima pro this, my team is bad that, jeeeez we all more or less have each other on our freinds list, go to a good server invite people to come and play.

The compeitive scene here doesnt fluctuate much so dont expect a whole ship load of gaming heroes to come sailing in anytime soon.

This is it it seems, lets make the most of it =]

heh
Old 04-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Originally Posted by matattack View Post
LOL. And really, CCN?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
LOL. And really, CCN?
What image? All I see is capslock complaining about how the image won't work.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to VeRiTaS Send a message via Skype™ to VeRiTaS

This is mostly true, in my opinion I would not know what to "blame" .
But we should (must) do something about this...Or the "noob" influence will make us more "noobish" . There are like really a few players left that are really PRO , now the ppl that came a bit after TL and a lot before Steam release are kinda backing up the PRO ones from before. But with this wave of steam new guys is over wellming the ones who are becoming pro and "backing up" the pro ones with their almost pro playing.

Well I could write some sh*t fore ever about this but I can't and I won't.
This matter shouldn't be disscused it should be delt with immediately with maybe a few possibilities like PRO's helping the average ones and some talented noobish ppl.
Anyway sorry for my bad english and etc
etc
etc
etc
etc
We can complain all day -------CAN WE ACT?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:36 PM

Default Altitude

The strangely massive egos in Altitude are extremely offputting. It is probably just a result of the average age of < 20 or something. I am sure the community will mature as the players do.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havamar View Post
The strangely massive egos in Altitude are extremely offputting. It is probably just a result of the average age of < 20 or something. I am sure the community will mature as the players do.
The maturity level was actually really high for a good while. Around the time of the game being released on apple is when things started to go sour and the average player age dropped dramatically.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:48 PM

don't know - myself I started playing altitude after the apple downloads and still had a feeling, that an average age of community members was around 23-28 years. Then over the summer and autumn it got considerably lower.

Imho it is still very clan dependent. DW for instance is about 25.

Last edited by Tosconi; 04-12-2010 at 11:51 PM.