Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Dedicated Server
FAQ Community Calendar

Dedicated Server Discuss technical issues related to hosting your own servers.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:16 AM

Default Building a custom server

I've seen a couple "UNK" game modes, and I was wondering if there was a way to build your own game modes, even if it requires hacking the server a bit.

One of the servers I've jumped on with UNK had walls with zero damage, and one had a large area which acted as a ball goal, and I don't see any way built-in to achieve either of those, unless I'm missing something obvious. I've hunted around a bit, but I can't find any information on how those were achieved. The Ladder servers make a fair bit of sense, but that's all possible from reading the log entries.

Does anyone around here know how, or where I might find more information?
Old 05-12-2010, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

The UNK game type comes from maps that are not labeled correctly. It does not mean that the map does not meet the current game mode conventions but rather that it doesn't have the prefix of tbd_, ball_, ffa_, etc. So some of these maps you see are from old outdated maps that were created before the naming conventions. However, as to the specific things are you talking about those are all things you can do with the map editor. Such as making walls do no damage, make walls super bouncy, or make a goal the size of the entire width of a map. Currently there is no way to mod a server or create your own game type. What you are seeing is people trying to use the current tools available in the editor and then adapting them to do things you don't typically see in normal games.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:00 AM

*gah* now I see how they managed that. Hadn't thought of scaling the goal, and I must've missed the damage modifier. Thanks!

Do you know if there are any plans for an API of some sort? I'd love to make a king-of-the-hill mode, or dynamic maps, or change player's size based on their ratio. Among others.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

I can't speak for the developers on that aspect. I know there are a lot of us who would love a modder's API. However, the game was made and is maintained by 2 guys, so their time is limited. I would guess that they would respond with "it's on the To Do list." However, in what place it is on that list is something I can't say. But as far as your ideas, they are in line with what a lot of us have wanted to do for a while. So here's to hoping the modder's API happens someday and you can help us out trying out all the cool ideas.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

There is also an "OMS" mode, is that the same as "UNK" - a map without a correct label ?