Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Maximum of 20 players in a server

The title says it all. I think there should be a limit in the server_configurator that only allows people to create a maximum of 20 or so players in a server. This would prevent abominations such as the 20v20 or 50 player football servers that have been springing up and stealing all the players from more competitive games.

Last edited by Pieface; 06-01-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:54 PM

This is true they shouldn't be able to hold servers of 50 or even 200.

It should have a limit, but then you would also have to think about times when you need it. Such as WORLD vs USA. Which would of needed more spots than normal to fit all the spectators.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:10 PM

+1,000,000
Old 05-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

If a limit was imposed (which I strongly support... how about 14? =P), there would have to be a separate limit (or no limit) for spectators.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
If a limit was imposed (which I strongly support... how about 14? =P), there would have to be a separate limit (or no limit) for spectators.
I kind of like that idea. Spectators could possibly join matches even if it was full but they would to wait till the one of the players who are currently playing on the field gives up their spot. So they would have to wait till someone sits out or the said person leaves. It would make waiting less boring and also help with tgleafs idea to fit a max server limit.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgleaf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
I kind of like that idea. Spectators could possibly join matches even if it was full but they would to wait till the one of the players who are currently playing on the field gives up their spot. So they would have to wait till someone sits out or the said person leaves. It would make waiting less boring and also help with tgleafs idea to fit a max server limit.
Probably never going to happen.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:28 PM

I think there should be game modes like 5x5 TBD, 4x4 Ball, 7x7 Ball, etc...
This way there would be no aberrations like the 50 player bouncy walls server.

In a totally unrelated note, what happened to the {arr} servers today and to the people who are usually there? I could only find {arr} #4 and it were empty, so I had to play in a bouncy server... sad...
Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlopes View Post
In a totally unrelated note, what happened to the {arr} servers today and to the people who are usually there? I could only find {arr} #4 and it were empty, so I had to play in a bouncy server... sad...
Whenever there is an update, the game servers update themselves. Sadly my friends VPS has some setting (which I can't change) that prevents the server from booting up properly after updates, so the server needs my manual restart after each update. The best you can do is to join the arr irc channel and give me a hint, as that's the fastest way to reach me.

arr #4 and private do not have this problem as they are hosted by a friend of micro on a different server.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Administrator

I pretty much agree -- the huge servers often create a bad impression for new users who naturally gravitate towards the server with the most players, and then conclude the game is nothing but spam.

I'll try to add spectator-only slots in the next patch at which point it will make sense to enforce a reasonable max-non-spec-player-count.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
I pretty much agree -- the huge servers often create a bad impression for new users who naturally gravitate towards the server with the most players, and then conclude the game is nothing but spam.

I'll try to add spectator-only slots in the next patch at which point it will make sense to enforce a reasonable max-non-spec-player-count.
Win. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorPayne257 View Post
Win. Thank you!
Now I can watch Payne play ball, all day long :O
Old 05-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

If there's a way to get that 50 player football server outta there for the new players, the game would definitely make a better impression. Don't want this spoiling their first view of the game.

Last edited by Pieface; 05-20-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:24 PM

Quotes from a 64 player server today:

"this is all about bomber spam"

"this is impossible to win"

"mega 8 lol" (that was me! )

i suggest you either hard cap server size or severely reduce XP gain. I saw someone go 115-4. I went 35-1.

I have to play on the big servers because I cannot even get into the smaller servers.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 PM

"this is like EVE for tards"

great reputation these servers are giving the game
Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
****ty 50 player server replaced by ****tier 64-player server

srsly, wat teh ****

host's gamertag is Sliph01, btw
feel free to add him as a friend and grief him in any way you can think of
Even if we get this Sliph r-tard to take down his server, there will just be more to take its place :|

It's sad because people go into servers like sliph's and no u's and they think that's what altitude is; >300 ping clusterf*cks full of teleporting planes and invisible bomber spam.

Last edited by [Y]; 05-20-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Please institute a ~25-30 player max player limit ASAP, even if spectator slots come later. It's really great to have all the new players, but the several 32v32 servers just give a horrible impression of the game to any potential buyers.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
Please institute a ~25-30 player max player limit ASAP, even if spectator slots come later. It's really great to have all the new players, but the several 32v32 servers just give a horrible impression of the game to any potential buyers.
Yeah, I hope this is given major priority. I can see new players playing 32v32 football for an hour, thinking "that was kinda strange and fun. Don't think I'll ever do it again. Altitude is kinda lame." And then never telling anyone about it. We want people to spread the word (obviously). In smaller servers, there is more chance for skillful play, but perhaps more importantly, there is more chance for good communication. Take the 7v7 ball servers I was in today. They were hardwall, dominated by new (<level 15) players. The vets there were offering hints, chastising, etc. It's all part of the game, but I bet those new players will be back because they have a sense that the game involves more than just shooting the plane in front of you, and they have a sense that there is a community here.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
It's sad because people go into servers like sliph's and no u's and they think that's what altitude is; >300 ping clusterf*cks full of teleporting planes and invisible bomber spam.
You know what else gives a bad impression? Being unable to play because if you add 'not full' to the default filters, the only servers left have 250 ping and kick on 200 or higher.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiyakins View Post
You know what else gives a bad impression? Being unable to play because if you add 'not full' to the default filters, the only servers left have 250 ping and kick on 200 or higher.
huh. never thought there would be a shortage of servers...
Old 05-21-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Even if we get this Sliph r-tard to take down his server, there will just be more to take its place :|

Wow! I mean really? I had NO idea there was such an elitist following of this game tbh with you. Sorry if i upset people but i just thought it would be a fun idea. I was only playing because of the free weekend and thought a 64 server would be fun and for me and alot of other people it is.

Heck i was going to shut it down earlier today but so may people sent me tells asking me to leave it up I felt bad and didn't so not EVERYONE hates it. But don't worry guys you'll have your pristine game back soon I was totally planning on buying this game i really had alot of fun but if the player base has attitudes like this then its not worth my 10 bucks. If they limit the servers down to 14 then im really not buying this it will be super boring after today.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliph View Post
Wow! I mean really? I had NO idea there was such an elitist following of this game tbh with you. Sorry if i upset people but i just thought it would be a fun idea. I was only playing because of the free weekend and thought a 64 server would be fun and for me and alot of other people it is.

Heck i was going to shut it down earlier today but so may people sent me tells asking me to leave it up I felt bad and didn't so not EVERYONE hates it. But don't worry guys you'll have your pristine game back soon I was totally planning on buying this game i really had alot of fun but if the player base has attitudes like this then its not worth my 10 bucks. If they limit the servers down to 14 then im really not buying this it will be super boring after today.
It's not really elitism, the game is just a lot more fun when there are fewer people on a server. With too many people it's just chaotic and random and if that's the impression most people get of the game then they won't really stick around as it gets boring pretty quick.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:12 AM
Banned

I'm with duck on this one. 64 player servers grow old real fast, real soon. Even though 1dm and 1bd are kind of funny.

You know what would be more fun?

Five 12 player servers on the same host so keiyakins can get a good impression.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliph View Post

rofl.

you consider laggy, teleporting cluster****s on wide open space fun?

mmk to each his own I guess
Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 AM

high player count, low manuever servers (tbd_hills, ball_football, etc) are fun when you are first learning to play and cannot hold your own in a game of skilled players. it grows old once you start getting good.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to JDR Send a message via Yahoo to JDR

Quote:
rofl.

you consider laggy, teleporting cluster****s on wide open space fun?

mmk to each his own I guess
might be worth it to offer up that question to the 50+ people, you know, playing in those servers. just sayin'
there are like 2-4 servers out of 50+ with that big of capacity. no one's getting the idea that this is "typical altitude". they're there because they want to be there.