Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Dedicated Server
FAQ Community Calendar

Dedicated Server Discuss technical issues related to hosting your own servers.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:31 AM

Default How do i post a server message in my server without joining the server?

Question in title,

See one of my Servers is for lower level players, so im too low level to join it.
but id still like to post a server message announcing when im going off-line and the servers will be shut down. can anyone tell me how to do this?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 PM

no one knows? come on, id like to be able to do this if possible
Old 05-21-2010, 08:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ajuk999

Hello and Welcome to the Altitude Community!

Apologies for the late response. I am sure there is some way to accomplish what you are trying to do, but it would take a lot of knowledge in codes like PHP. For Example: Phong made his servers restrict plane setups, and he even made his own welcome message when people joined his servers. You can take a look here.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:06 PM

well that looks a little complicated, and i havent bought the game yet, im using the steam free weekend pass, so i dont want to do heavy coding now and then have to do it over again when i buy the game.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 PM

Do the level restrictions apply to admins? Because if you make yourself an admin of these servers that you're hosting, then you might be able to get in and type messages.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 PM

There's no need for heavy coding to do this.

If you're running the server from a unix-based OS (macs are also unix-based), all you have to do is type this into the console:

echo 27275,console,serverMessage Your server message goes here>> ~Altitude/servers/command.txt

Where ~Altitude is the directory you keep altitude in, and 27275 is the port number of the server you want the message to go to (you can find the port numbers in your server configuration files).

For more information just look at this post http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2616 .

Last edited by lamster; 05-21-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
Do the level restrictions apply to admins? Because if you make yourself an admin of these servers that you're hosting, then you might be able to get in and type messages.
yes they do apply to admins
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post

If you're running the server from a unix-based OS (macs are also unix-based), all you have to do is type this into the console:

echo 27275,console,serverMessage Your server message goes here>> ~Altitude/servers/command.txt

Where ~Altitude is the directory you keep altitude in, and 27275 is the port number of the server you want the message to go to (you can find the port numbers in your server configuration files).

For more information just look at this post http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2616 .
thanks, ill try this out later.

Edit: ok, i cant find the directory, im useing steam to play, so where would i find it on a mac when useing steam?

Edit: Edit: i found the directory of the servers folder, but its empty, i have no commands.txt file, is this something i have to create?

Last edited by Knight; 05-21-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:

wait, when you talk about ~altitude being the directory i keep altitude in, do you mean the actual application? or the server launcher/configurator
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 PM

bump, still need help...
Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 PM

I believe the commands.txt file is created by the application when you launch your server. Try launching your server first before looking for it. If it's still not there then I'm not sure what to say haha.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I believe the commands.txt file is created by the application when you launch your server. Try launching your server first before looking for it. If it's still not there then I'm not sure what to say haha.
my server has been up for a day or two, infact i have 3 servers, yet the server folder is still empty =/

Edit: it just listed the file... so im going to test it now

Last edited by Knight; 05-21-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:44 PM

ok it still didnt work, this is the command i used:

echo 27277,console,serverMessage All Servers will be shuting down till 8pm Central time or later>> /applications/altitude/servers/command.txt

do i need to add "Macintosh HD or did i do somthing else wrong?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Administrator

You want the Altitude/server directory the server_launcher is running from, for example:

Windows "C:/Program Files/Altitude/servers/command.txt"
Mac "/Applications/Altitude/servers/command.txt"
Linux "~/altitude/servers/command.txt"

That should work, assuming you're running a server on port 27277 -- did the log on the visible server launcher window show a line like this? "Executing: port=27277, type=console, data=serverMessage All Servers..."

Last edited by lamster; 05-21-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
You want the Altitude/server directory the server_launcher is running from, for example:

Windows "C:/Program Files/Altitude/servers/command.txt"
Mac "/Applications/Altitude/servers/command.txt"
Linux "~/altitude/servers/command.txt"

That should work, assuming you're running a server on port 27277 -- did the log on the visible server launcher window show a line like this? "Executing: port=27277, type=console, data=serverMessage All Servers..."
thats what im using, but i just keep getting "invalid command"

Edit: no it didnt show up, like i said, im getting an invalid command error on the console
Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Weird, maybe you need correct case or a space?

Code:
echo 27277,console,serverMessage All Servers will be shuting down till 8pm Central time or later >> "/Applications/Altitude/servers/command.txt"
Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Weird, maybe you need correct case or a space?

Code:
echo 27277,console,serverMessage All Servers will be shuting down till 8pm Central time or later >> "/Applications/Altitude/servers/command.txt"
i just did an exact copy/paste of that code and i still get

"Invalid Command : /echo 27277,console,serverMessage All Servers will be shuting down till 8pm Central time or later >> "/Applications/Altitude/servers/command.txt""

when i use the same code without the quotes around the source file i just get

"Invalid Command : /echo 27277,console,serverMessage All Servers will be shuting down till 8pm Central time or later >> /Applications/Altitude/servers/command.txt"
Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Or maybe the echo command wants quotes on the Mac version, e.g.:

echo "27277,console,serverMessage All Servers will be shuting down till 8pm Central time or later" >> /Applications/Altitude/servers/command.txt
Old 05-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Aaaahh -- I think we had a miscommunication at some point here. You need to paste the echo command into a Mac Terminal window (finder -> application -> Terminal) -- not the Altitude in-game console.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Or maybe the echo command wants quotes on the Mac version, e.g.:

echo "27277,console,serverMessage All Servers will be shuting down till 8pm Central time or later" >> /Applications/Altitude/servers/command.txt
same thing, i even tried it with quotes around both the command and Source separate and with one set of quotes for the whole thing:

echo "27277,console,serverMessage All Servers will be shuting down till 8pm Central time or later" >> "/Applications/Altitude/servers/command.txt"

echo "27277,console,serverMessage All Servers will be shuting down till 8pm Central time or later >> /Applications/Altitude/servers/command.txt"

none of these worked.

edit: o.o that explains the whole thing... =/ thanks ill let you know if it works
Old 05-21-2010, 11:02 PM

it worked:

Quote:
[21 May 2010 17:01:21,620] INFO: Executing: port=27277, type=console, data=serverMessage All Servers will be shuting down till 8pm Central time or later
Old 07-17-2010, 11:47 AM

Does this code work on Linux based systems, or does it require a sight change?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Administrator

The same code works on a linux system, but you need to replace INSTALL_PATH with the directory you installed Altitude to:

echo "27277,console,serverMessage All Servers will be shuting down till 8pm Central time or later" >> INSTALL_PATH/servers/command.txt
Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to jardanc@yahoo.com

thanks lamster, now I think i can make a shutdown button on my desktop that will basically just spam BalanceTeams for a server shutdown

ah, scripting is sweeeettt