Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Guides
FAQ Community Calendar

Guides Altitude strategy guides.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 PM

Default [G] Guide For Newer Players

Hi newbies! We were all new once. This guide will help you get up to speed fast.

There are many game modes! What should I play?

The two most popular game modes are Ball (BALL) and Team Base Destruction (TBD). The other modes are much, much less widely played.

Any number of players can take part in each type of game, although older players usually prefer 5v5 TBD and 6v6 Ball.

In TBD, the goal is to carry a Bomb to the enemy side of the map and drop it on their Base. The team that destroys the enemy's base first wins.

In Ball, the goal is to carry or pass a Ball across the map and into the enemy's Goal. The first team to score 6 Goals wins.

What server should I join?

Look for Ball or TBD servers that have no more than max 20 players.

MOST older players prefer to play on "hard wall" servers - on these servers, crashing into obstacles will damage you a lot, compared to the "bouncy" servers which are more newbie friendly.

Hard wall servers are marked with an "X" in the column between "Map" and "Ping."

Where do veteran players play?

Many older players spend lots of time on private servers such as "Ladder," "Captain's Games," and "Skyleague."

You can also find them on public servers, especially the ones marked "Official #3" (and other numbers).

You can press Tab to look at the list of players in your server. The players with simple light blue symbols to the left of their names are new players - the ones with more gaudy green and gold badges are players who have been around longer.

How and why should I befriend older players?

Friending older players is generally how you earn the passwords to the private servers where games are much more competitive (and fun!).

Just hang out with older players for a few games or a few days, and once you know each other you can offer a friend request. In chat, type "/addFriend" and a list of the players in the server will pop up.

Don't try to friend people you've just met as many players - especially older players - have long friendlists already. Wait until you've proven your value as a player, for example asking to friend people after you've just scored a crucial goal or base hit that won the game.

When a player compliments your good play in chat it's usually a safe bet to friend them.

How do I quickly become better at BALL?

Keep an eye at all times on the "BALL icon" that shows where the ball is, even if it's off screen.

The BALL icon shows a colored border if a player is carrying the ball, and a blank border if the ball is loose in the air. Additionally, the color of the ball itself tells you which team last had possession. Finally, the SIZE of the ball icon shows how close the ball is offscreen.

I'm putting this in red because it's amazing how many "pros" don't seem to know this!

If the ball is between you and your team's goal, and it is either being carried by an enemy or is loose but enemy-colored, then your team is in trouble! You should turn around and help defend.

If the ball is loose in the air then many planes will be racing to that position - you can strafe that area with your weapons and hopefully take out enemy planes.

Passing is MUCH faster than flying - the team that passes more often wins.

By watching the Ball Icon above all, you will develop a game sense that tells you how you can be most helpful to get the ball in the goal.

How do I quickly become better at TBD?

Like Ball, playing TBD requires developing a "game sense" - judging how many planes of your team and the enemy team are currently on the map and where they are based on where you last saw them.

Do not circle the spawn waiting for the bomb to spawn - let a more experienced player carry the bomb. You can watch and learn how bomb-carrying works, but it's one of the toughest roles in TBD.

Generally your team will either be on offense - trying to score a base hit - or on defense, trying to prevent the enemy from scoring a hit.

On offense, you need to protect the bomb carrier with shields, walls, or just by flying in front and absorbing damage. Killing enemy planes is helpful but only if it clears the way for the bomber.

On defense, you need to stop the bomber at all costs. Even if the bomber gets through, you can try to collide with the bomb before it hits the base; this will stop the base from being damaged. Your base is far more valuable than a plane!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 PM

Good job... this was needed. Only hope some of them check in. And the ones that do probably learn faster anyways
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

Nice work, Palin! Thanks for doing this. Can it be moved to the Guides section of the forums?

Edit: I just spent the last 20 minutes lecturing new players (the same players repeatedly sometimes) on why it's not okay to switch teams -- especially to the winning team -- when it creates a 2 bots or 3 bots situation for the other team. If you're new, please don't do that! It unbalances the game.

Last edited by tgleaf; 05-22-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 PM

Nice post! I'm new and found it interesting. I'm a little lost on how you actually get to know others though. I don't have time to chat when I play! Then the rounds are over with enough time for "GG" and it's off we go again. Even if I met an "old" player I'd be noticed!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General View Post
Nice post! I'm new and found it interesting. I'm a little lost on how you actually get to know others though. I don't have time to chat when I play! Then the rounds are over with enough time for "GG" and it's off we go again. Even if I met an "old" player I'd be noticed!
Usually, you /addfriend someone and then chat while spectating or not in a server. Beyond that, you can join a mumble server (see the top post at http://tinyurl.com/gomum) or get to know people here on the forums.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Nice Work Sarah, Welcome our newer players =))
Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I chat in game. If you press and hold one of the arrow keys so you're flying in a circle and then press enter it will bring up the chat box and hold the arrow key for you so you can type freely.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:10 PM

Mumbling! Sounds perfect. Thanks for the heads up, tomorrow when I get on I'll give that a go. Thanks for the pointers folks. Seems like a really nice community this! Amazing really, every other competitive gaming community seems to be full of trolls.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:40 PM

Also when you get killed you can make a shoutout in the time you're waiting to respawn. Or say something nice as in ball, nice pass (np) or in tbd, good push.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
every other competitive gaming community seems to be full of trolls.
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of trolls in this game. But you learn to spot them pretty quickly and ignoring/muting them isn't hard at all.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:01 AM

regarding chatting, I've learned to type fast :P

People generally chat when they die, and whoever they're talking to waits until HE dies to type a response, etc.

There are some abbreviations we use, so here is a little appendix

Altitude Chat Glossary
np Nice pass!
nt Nice try!
ns Nice shot!
def Defend!
push Push forward (go on offense)
! Wow!
sick/pro Great play
Whale Nickname for Explodet
Loppy Nickname for Loopy
Hippo Nickname for Bomber
Randa Nickname for Miranda
Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Mumbling! Sounds perfect. Thanks for the heads up, tomorrow when I get on I'll give that a go. Thanks for the pointers folks. Seems like a really nice community this! Amazing really, every other competitive gaming community seems to be full of trolls.
For the new players interested in Mumble, the original server has gone down, so we are using a public server instead. Read this thread for the public server that we use and this thread for ssd's server that we're probably use rather than the public one.

Last edited by [Y]; 05-23-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:46 AM

Hippo is not a nickname for bomber, its another nick for whale.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:20 AM

"Loppy"? lol
Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Ya hippo is explodet and flippy is loopy, also minerva is miranda, all of these are not used widely. Only really used nicknames are Randa, Whale and HC for biplane with equiped heavy cannon.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM

Flippy and Minerva are more jokes among older players that were there for that incident. >.>
Old 06-01-2010, 03:57 AM

boob is a nickname for a bomber
Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nipple View Post
boob is a nickname for a bomber
Which makes you... a grenade launcher?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:19 AM

for a good guide for new players would be how to act and how not to act. i learned the hard way
Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrent View Post
for a good guide for new players would be how to act and how not to act. i learned the hard way
What specifically do you want them to know?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:23 AM

not to be weirdoes, a troll, or doing stuff to ruin your reputation
(is our player base that big yet?)
Old 02-08-2012, 04:27 AM

Default Thanks for this

I never knew about the items in red. Thanks for highlighting it.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:37 AM

Transferred to Steam on 5/11/17