Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 AM

Default Resolutions

Can you please add widescreen support, you have the 1680x1050 resolution option but it doesn't work properly. Also 100hz refresh rate and 100 fps would be nice. Your eyes get killed after playing this for a long duration lol.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNom View Post
1680x1050 resolution option but it doesn't work properly.
Unfortunately we can't let you see more width than someone running a 4:3 ratio because that would provide an unfair gameplay advantage. Wide screen (16:9, 16:10) is implemented in the only fair way we could think of - you either get black bars on the sides or it stretches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNom View Post
Also 100hz refresh rate and 100 fps would be nice. Your eyes get killed after playing this for a long duration lol
Next patch we will try picking the desktop hertz instead of defaulting to 60.

Last edited by lamster; 04-15-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
That's a pretty vague description. Wide screen (16:9, 16:10) Resolution works exactly as it should. You either get black bars on the left and right or it stretches. Allowing you to see more width than someone running a 4:3 ratio would be an unfair advantage.

Next patch we will try picking the desktop hertz instead of defaulting to 60.
What's the point if you get the black bars on the side? In that case you might as well use 1024x768 cuz it looks much better, 1680x1050 with black bars is blurrier than 1024, dunno why.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Our goal is to provide the same gameplay experience regardless of resolution. For example, someone whose computer can only run the game at 800x600 needs to see the same chunk of the battlefield as someone who's running 1920x1200 or he's at a disadvantage. For that reason, the higher resolutions use the graphics card to scale the view as it renders to the screen. This is sometimes better, and sometimes worse than running the game at its native res (1024x768) on an LCD monitor with a different native res (1680x1050). It comes down to whether your graphics card or monitor has a better scaling algorithm.

For you it sounds like the best approach is to run the game at 1024x768. Hopefully the refresh rate change in the next patch will help your eyes
Old 12-24-2009, 10:14 PM

The game looks kinda nasty at widescreen rez. The reality is the advantage is minimal and most people have widescreen anyways. I think there should be the option at least, it degrades the quality of the game without it.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

lol I thought this was gonna be about New Years resolutions.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:38 AM

I dont play on a widescreen monitor, and yet I think the game should support it. I've played the game on my laptop and it looks awful.

I mean, shooters support widescreen even though it's a big advantage having a wider field of view.

Also: add a ****ing radar already.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:00 AM

If you're using a widescreen monitor (I have a 32" Full HD monitor so at 1920*1080) instead of opting for a massive resolution that gives you black bars, why not go for a standard 4:3 resolution that still leaves a fair portion of your desktop visible - that way I find its easy to leave IM programs open so I don't flick much between windows - just side-by-side
Old 12-25-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
...the higher resolutions use the graphics card to scale the view as it renders to the screen.
How about always rendering the scene in the native resolution and then scaling the final resulting frame to the screen resolution? This might look better.

This would probably make some things simpler for you guys as well.

It would also prevent some issues... like the following artifacts that exist in text for scaled resolutions (I'll post this with more details in the bug section):