Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > General Altitude Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

General Altitude Discussion Discuss anything Altitude related that doesn't belong in another forum.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:00 PM

Default The Enlightened Tutors: Altitude Mentoring Program

Hey fellas,

A while ago, Beagle created a thread with the intent of providing a service to the masses of new players that were present at the time. As we all now know, the steam free weekend has introduced a whole new player base and hopefully, many will be sticking around. Unfortunately, at the moment, most of these players are merely playing with other new players, which is certainly beneficial to an extent, however, the more fundamental skill-sets would take an eternity to learn under these conditions.
So in order to nurture the newcomers into the competitive scene of Altitude, I'd like to (re)introduce a method through which the seasoned veterans can impart our knowledge to these players.

The Enlightened Tutors, or ET's for short, will act to satisfy the inherent communal need for such a knowledge base by providing friendly, civil, and constructive thoughts to all who yearn to expand their skill set in this dandy game we all have come to love (and loathe lul).

For Prospective Tutors
Through scheduled meetings, we will meet with players who request such assistance. Sometimes this will manifest as simply spec-ing in a pub server and providing tips through PM, while at other times, players and mentors will 1v1 in order to build some basic dogfighting skills.

This clan of sorts is open to all those who feel as if they have something to offer and can be generally flexible in scheduling for sessions with willing nubsickles. If this doesn't exactly take off as the last attempt to form such a program didn't, then so be it, but please don't shy away from this because of the obvious difficulties in implementing such a plan like slight communication barriers or social anxieties. This is our opportunity to make sure we dread playing with steamies not because they're noobs, but because they surpass their elders in skill and start pwnin us. Do your part to direct new players to the forums and this thread.

For Prospective Tutees
If you would like to get a mentor, please post here or friend any of the listed tutors in game, and we'll begin to coordinate a schedule of some kind. New players have the opportunity to request anything from basic tips and tricks, to more advanced, plane or game mode specific strategies, so please don't hesitate to ask for any kind of help.

Without further adieu:

Enlightened Tutors:
1.) *ET* Casey
2.) *ET* Storm
3.) *ET* wolf'j
4.) *ET* tyr
5.) *ET* mled
6.) *ET* Veritas
7.) *ET* Demuyt
8.) *ET* Jayfourke
9.) *ET* tgleaf
10.)*ET* FU

etc, etc (Just ask anyone who looks like they know what they're doing in game, and someone will eventually help u out or point u in the right direction in no time)

BTW no one really hasta sport the tags, I'm just a sucker for uniformity

Last edited by ufo; 12-26-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:10 PM

I might be a decent tutor if people are willing to accept bitching
Old 05-22-2010, 11:35 PM

I'm new! I'd love to be taught what ever someone more experienced was willing to teach. So far I've figured I like to play with the Loopy using DF. I play a defensive role at the moment. If any of the tutors would like to take me under their wing... Wing! Bum dum tish! I'd muchly appreciate it. I'm based in England and play during GMT+1 day time. When I'm meant to be working. I've got Vent and Mumble and am happy to use a mic if appropriate.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:43 PM

kewl! once this thread gets a little more attention and a few more tutors sign up, we'll work out a time to begin. I'm certainly not opposed to taking you under my wing although it sounds like u'd appreciate someone with more xp in the loop, so we'll see.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:44 PM

If you need another tutor for carrying ask me ^.^

BIG EDIT: lord general, if you play at work days around 4-5 pmish i will be online, what is your in-game name? Mine is: |Wolf'j'max
Old 05-23-2010, 12:03 AM

nice idea, i always love to help new players. id like to join if you let me.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:03 AM

I, creator and captain of ACE (one of the most successful Altitude teams ever), might take someone under my wing for some intensive high level training (with mic) for basic/advanced flying, map monitoring, dogfighting skills on the plane of their choice - even though as ufo said in the other thread, a lot of skills are used for all planes, and in general, playing experience will make you a better player with each plane - so I guess it'll be more like training with every plane.
I will only take someone I feel has good potential, because otherwise I might rage a lot and that won't do any good.

My best planes are biplane (recoilless), bomber (flak), loopy and miranda (laser).
I'm currently playing under the nickname ACE.Yukari (but you can also see me under ACE.tyr or Yukari Yakumo) so if you ever see me in a game and you do well and are interested in this, feel free to add me as a friend and talk to me.

Hope I didn't scare you too much.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to VeRiTaS Send a message via Skype™ to VeRiTaS

I am willing to help new comers of the community if you need more tutors I am in. If you accept me ofc.
thx..
Old 05-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

First off, very good initiative about creating this program! It will definetly give a boost to new players. I'd like to participate aswell if possible! I know useful stuff about every plane, survivability, bomb running, and more. I can use Skype and Mumble to communicate during training.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyr View Post
I, creator and captain of ACE (one of the most successful Altitude teams ever), might take someone under my wing for some intensive high level training (with mic) for basic/advanced flying, map monitoring, dogfighting skills on the plane of their choice - even though as ufo said in the other thread, a lot of skills are used for all planes, and in general, playing experience will make you a better player with each plane - so I guess it'll be more like training with every plane.
I will only take someone I feel has good potential, because otherwise I might rage a lot and that won't do any good.

My best planes are biplane (recoilless), bomber (flak), loopy and miranda (laser).
I'm currently playing under the nickname ACE.Yukari (but you can also see me under ACE.tyr or Yukari Yakumo) so if you ever see me in a game and you do well and are interested in this, feel free to add me as a friend and talk to me.

Hope I didn't scare you too much.

http://resources.bplondon.org/images...n/overkill.jpg

lol tyr ur the man
Old 05-23-2010, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the enthusiastic response guys, I'll get a little more organized in the coming days in terms of listing Time Zones and what not, until then if y'all could do like tyr and others have and give some basic info like your preferred play times and plane strengths, that would be greatly appreciated. Looks as of now like we have a very diverse assortment of players in terms of both playstyle and location, so keep it up!

Last edited by ufo; 05-23-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:41 AM

I'm all for this... I'm willing to volunteer my loopy skills/vaguely suicidal madness to the cause.

Although I'm not sure if my general playing style of engaging an opponent one-on-one, deliberately stalling, falling and shooting said opponent to death whilst still in freefall, recovering before I hit the ground and rocketing away feeling smug is one to be advised to raw recruits. It tends to lead to crashing if performed improperly.

Still, I'm a pretty good bombrunner, if I do say so myself. Vital knowledge right there. Heh.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Location: being a video game clan CEO is not that prestigious

ufo, I thought this was a great idea when Beagle introduced it and I think it's even more important now. Thanks for resurrecting it.

Sign me up. Being a teacher IRL, this is a natural fit for me.

I'm happy to mentor anyone in anything, but obviously my strengths are BALL and acid loopy. I'm also a semi-decent thermo whale, and I understand the strategies of TBD even if I don't always implement them. =P My schedule is a bit unpredictable, but I'll contribute what I can and anyone can contact me in-game for some spontaneous tutoring.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

I'm so happy to be in!

My time zone: Belgium, Central Europe Time, GMT +2. I can play all weekdays after 8 pm GMT, and mostly all times on the weekend. I get on the forums a lot, so if I can't make it to a meeting I'll notify you in advance.

Things I can teach you: Pretty much everything. Ball, bomb-running, dogfighting. I play all planes except the loopy, but if you want to learn loopy I guess I'll make a special effort for you <3
I can use Skype and Mumble to communicate
Old 05-23-2010, 01:05 AM

I think I'd be down for something like this. Who wants to be my tutor?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
BIG EDIT: lord general, if you play at work days around 4-5 pmish i will be online, what is your in-game name? Mine is: |Wolf'j'max
Sounds good to me. I'm currently LordGeneral in game, but will change to add a space tomorrow. Didn't realise spaces were allowed until later today! I sent a friend invite. Hope to see you online soon.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:18 AM

Oh, Mirage Block.... you are more overpowered than Thermo <3
Old 05-23-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebone View Post
I think I'd be down for something like this. Who wants to be my tutor?
Likewise, I could use some halp, especially after tonight's captain games. "Tbd is all about timings," a wise man once said. I just need to learn to recognize those timings :x
Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 AM

I have like thousands cards of Magic.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
Likewise, I could use some halp, especially after tonight's captain games. "Tbd is all about timings," a wise man once said. I just need to learn to recognize those timings :x
I recognize those words.
Wise man indeed

muahaha
Old 05-23-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight 666 View Post
I have like thousands cards of Magic.

sold all mine for $200 these 2 cards were worth 50 a piece
Old 05-23-2010, 03:02 AM

press f

/thread
Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General View Post
Sounds good to me. I'm currently LordGeneral in game, but will change to add a space tomorrow. Didn't realise spaces were allowed until later today! I sent a friend invite. Hope to see you online soon.
Yes i will add you and hope to see you online tomorrow, although demuyt just showed me a difference, since the times changed cet is now not GMT+1 but +2 so either you playing at 3pm-4pm and around 7-8:30 pm i can probably meet you. Also general,
tomorrow are the finals of the tournament called APL (altitude proleague) the matchup is bong's bitches vs team sammich. Ufo is in team sammich and i am in bong's bitches. This match should start at 7:30 pm for you so maybe you can come and take a look =]
Old 05-23-2010, 04:35 AM

Me, Cloud and York are cooking up something similar to this, glad to see more people making an effort. You can put me down to any newcomers who contact me I will do my best to help.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:38 AM

I'd be interested, but I can only give deep insight into one plane. I can still give general strategy tips with the others though.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
Me, Cloud and York are cooking up something similar to this, glad to see more people making an effort. You can put me down to any newcomers who contact me I will do my best to help.
Looks like he beat us to the punch. I'll help also if you let me. Of course you probably won't because you hate me so much
Old 05-23-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord General View Post
I'm new! I'd love to be taught what ever someone more experienced was willing to teach. So far I've figured I like to play with the Loopy using DF. I play a defensive role at the moment. If any of the tutors would like to take me under their wing... Wing! Bum dum tish! I'd muchly appreciate it. I'm based in England and play during GMT+1 day time. When I'm meant to be working. I've got Vent and Mumble and am happy to use a mic if appropriate.
USA wants you! Not really, but I do.

Friend me

KLF.YorK

Kings Live, Forever!

^Either of those two names, try em both!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a great idea! Sign me up (EST), though I can't guarantee I'll have a regular playing schedule.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuja900 View Post
I don't see wai we couldn't all work together, although if u feel like I covered all the bases then we can just roll with this. Lemme kno
Old 05-23-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
Looks like he beat us to the punch. I'll help also if you let me. Of course you probably won't because you hate me so much
I don't hate anyone, you just have an inflated ego and that pisses me off

Correction: I hate Baron David René de Rothschild

Last edited by ufo; 05-23-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo View Post
I don't see wai we couldn't all work together, although if u feel like I covered all the bases then we can just roll with this. Lemme kno
Well our idea is to have a "meet the vets" server hosted by york that we would advertise on their boards where we would all frequent. We have someone working on a lobby screen map I believe. Btw I have knowledge and extensive experience with all planes for anyone who has any questions hit my pm box or contact me ingame: [fLb]Kuja900

Last edited by Kuja900; 05-23-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:09 AM

I will volunteer my meager (read "meager") knowledge of Biplane, particularly Heavy Cannon, as well as some general airmanship, bomb-running, team strategy, and "abnormal arts" (e.g. 1DM mode).
Old 05-23-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Palin View Post
Oh, Mirage Block.... you are more overpowered than Thermo <3
Enlightened tutor, enchantment dekcs, mirage.
Oh the memories. (still play mtgo though)
Old 05-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurripilot View Post
I will volunteer my meager (read "meager") knowledge of Biplane, particularly Heavy Cannon, as well as some general airmanship, bomb-running, team strategy, and "abnormal arts" (e.g. 1DM mode).
Likewise, I can complete this with support gunning, battle movement control, and sniping 101. If you'd like...

Hurri teaches almost everything I can't. :P
Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to VeRiTaS Send a message via Skype™ to VeRiTaS

I am all around except bip ... I can help with any plane and any play stile ... Especially bomb running... I am GMT 1+ and I play a lot but at the moment I am fixing my computer so wont be on much this week.
thx
Old 05-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Hello, I am DMCM, one of the captains of IL.

If you want to learn the fine art of TBD games or any specific plane I can help you.

My nickname is IL|DMCM ---;@
Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 PM

I need a friggin tutor
Acid loopy and bomb running randa (non anchor)
>_>

Last edited by CCN; 05-23-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:21 PM

i can tutor CCN, help him lag less!!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:28 PM

I have had 8 years of experience playing Counter Strike competitively in all the top divisions in all the leagues.

I was always the strat caller and top fragger.

I will be taking Altitude serious, and I have a lot of strategy in mind that would be perfect for this game!

I would love to know the "ins-and-outs" as soon as possible about the leagues, matches, and other things asap!

Please let me know

Thank you
Old 05-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Most people here are pretty decent, if you want to I can help you out a bit or direct you to people. I'm a decent all around player. You can add me in game via the add friend button. (|Stormich|) on altitude

Last edited by Stormich; 05-23-2010 at 03:33 PM.