Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Default Locomotion 2 - faster, shorter, more cut.

Hey guys,

I did a very quick revamp of Locomotion to make it play a little faster. First thing's first, though - Maimer, if you'd prefer that I don't screw around with your map, just let me know and I'll take this post down.

Download

What changed?

- Map is ~10% shorter horizontally.
- Bases are a bit lower to the ground, helping make the low bombing route more viable (less distance to climb back up).
- Towers near the base aren't quite as high (speed up the map by getting rid of that very slow climb near the bases).
- Added another movement option near the bases and opened up the bottom a bit. (Note that the above two changes make the map a lot more lob-friendly.)
- Some powerup shuffling, mostly to buff the low path.
- Moved one turret to the low path - after the changes, it was just too brutal in its current location, and this seemed like a decent switch up.

Anyway, always thought it was a pity that such a great looking map with so much potential wasn't getting played because games were taking so long on it. I'm not sure exactly how much this version will change things, but please give it a shot and lemme know what you think!

Comparison images below - the first one is the original, the second is the altered version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loco_collapsed.jpg (20.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg tbd_loco2_collapsed.jpg (20.8 KB, 157 views)
Old 05-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Oooo, looks kewl, Dio. Can you use my original sky background for this? Methinks it so sexy @_@

Also, I don't think Maimer would mind very much (of course, I can't speak for him). He'd probably send over the source files if you wanted to mess with them. I'll have to try out this rework though!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 AM

looks awesome, cant wait to play it officially
Old 05-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

oh yeah, that looks cool inner. I'll wait to get some feedback before making any aesthetic changes, though. I'm sure there's SOMETHING I screwed up that'll need fixing, so I can just do both at the same time.

btw, if anyone has maimer's aim or something, could you hook me up? I thought I had him before, but he either has me blocked or I deleted his name during one of my periodic buddy list cleanings.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DryBone

Love that open space below the base and great choice of making the pillars not that high but think it's really ez to bomb. definately ez. well ez to bomb means it's a shorter game.
mission accomplish
Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 PM

isnt that the point? um the map beforehand took to long sometimes because the map was to long.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:21 PM

Red, if that background isn't used, would you object to me using it in an upcoming map? >.>
Old 05-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Sins is making a map?!!?!? I can see it nao...

tbd_(>^_^)>8============D(>O_O)>
Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan20000 View Post
Red, if that background isn't used, would you object to me using it in an upcoming map? >.>
Dealsies ^^
Old 05-24-2010, 10:30 PM

dio, version 2 actually looks promising because you deleted that train which had 'maimer'
in it in debug mode
Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesDog View Post
oh yeah, that looks cool inner. I'll wait to get some feedback before making any aesthetic changes, though. I'm sure there's SOMETHING I screwed up that'll need fixing, so I can just do both at the same time.

btw, if anyone has maimer's aim or something, could you hook me up? I thought I had him before, but he either has me blocked or I deleted his name during one of my periodic buddy list cleanings.
Maimer doesn't really use AIM very often. I'd just try PMing him.

-redshift (I guess not everyone knows yet XD)
Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

btw, I'm not able to host a server here with my ****ty internet. if someone could put up a temp server with this thing I'd be much obliged.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Should be up on the two temp servers I'm hosting, "Competitive Edge" and "Community Maps - Favorites." Can't guarantee that they'll be up for any set amount of time or on a particular schedule since I'm running them off my personal network, but enjoy for the time being until we get someone with a good VPS to host it!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

If anyone wants to mess around and use art/modify maps I have made feel free to do so. Anything that helps out the game Altitude.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Just wanted to add one more thing here. I don't really think all these changes are needed to make this map more playable. I think the biggest issue is the neutral bomb. I think that if it were changed so that it had two team specific bombs (and possibly one more neutral) it would play much better in its original form. This is because team specific bombs allow for more strategy around the bomb push and doesn't rely so much on teammates being able to react to a fluid situation as much.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 AM

Completely agree with Maimers last post. Also I'd like to point out that people should be experimenting with the tbd_planepark idea, though the map itself doesn't play well in tbd as it does in ball the idea of 2 team bombs and 1 neutral is interesting and IMO a good map with that 3 bomb layout would be really interesting.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:09 AM

yup, the problem with loco is that the center is not very defensible so teams have a very tough time securing that area. This leads to constant skirmishes which more often than not lead to bomb wasting. On the other hand, middleground while very similar in its design actually lets teams secure the middle for a nice coordinated push.

I think just changing it to team bomb and putting a power up in the middle would do the job.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Tried out the new map the other day, and have just a couple initial thoughts:

- Everything feels very cramped. The bots repeatedly crash into the walls and the structures seem to be placed very close together.

- Not enough turrets in my opinion. The only ones seem to be right over the base and they don't really do very much to help defensively.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
- Everything feels very cramped. The bots repeatedly crash into the walls and the structures seem to be placed very close together.
- Not enough turrets in my opinion. The only ones seem to be right over the base and they don't really do very much to help defensively.
Weird, the open space is almost identical to what was there before.

Turrets are easy to add if people want 'em, though.

Any other impressions? I still haven't had a chance to play it with real people.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Redshift, can you send me the source for that background? Bonus for if you have each parallax layer in separate images!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:44 AM

I'm hosting tbd_locomotion2 on Bomb Dojo #1 (US) so people can test it and offer feedback. If the players there enjoy it I imagine I'll keep it on there. It can only be played via vote.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 PM

Only played it once and was a 3 vs 3.
I dont think i prefer this to the original (although i like this one too) - seems way to easy to bomb, and i dont know if turrets will solve this?!
I agree whit maimer that a team specific bomb would fix the original. Im not sure but, maybe a faster spawn of the neutral was suficient to do it...
Anyway i want to say that the "bottom" turret has an angle somewhere between 10 to 20º angle and it should be much more wider.